IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

1 minute ago, flkin said:

If this ISO REGEN is galvanically isolated and data stream regenerated under a femto-clock, there doesn't seem any reason for the microRendu anymore. The simpler (and cheaper) SonicOrbitor SE with any power supply to the ISO REGEN with LPS-1 should work.

This is what I'm thinking to. Direct from my SonicTransporter. Or I suppose  it has to be my PC, as there is where my HQPlayer is. 

So I probably wait with a purchase and let the listening impressions guide me.

Or if you need a Roon endpoint, the SBT in EDO mode, or a PI will do the same as a MicroRendu if a ISO regen is attached. 

11 minutes ago, tommytastic said:

I think I'd prefer mac mini (or nuc or some kind) so I can switch seamlessly between spotify and roon. Having to change mode in microrendu  puts me off.

Well, what if Roon supports Spotify ?

What are you using today. And why not considder SonicTransporter?

20 minutes ago, tommytastic said:

Sonic transporter is basically microrendu right with lower SQ? How does it help?

A MicroRendu is an endpoint with almost same SW as the SonicTransporter. 

The SonicTransporter is meant to be a RoonServer. Just like your suggested Mac. 

You can do USB direc from it. (+ ISO regen). No need for the MicroRendu. 

An upgraded Mac mini with UpTone mod may be equal. I don't know.

On 27.4.2017 at 3:25 AM, satfrat said:

I'll just PM Alex and ask him what should I be spending money on, a LPS-1 or ISO Regen.

You may tell us a little how your setup is. As the LPS-1 won't help you much unless it's feeding something. 

But for sure you should use your money on the ISO regen, if you today run only a USB cable between your PC and DAC.

41 minutes ago, flummoxe said:

Please bare with me as this may be a dumb question.

Is there any worth in using the ISO REGEN before a microRendu which then feeds a Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock USB?

Thanks

Paul

This is the question we all MicroRendu owners ask.

(After the MicroRendu of cause). 

And John and Alex more or less tried to answer it the best possible way they could. As you probably know John has not tested, but he said that since the SI (signal integrity) is better on the ISO regen, you may achieve something. Then also it has been discussed how many LPS-1 to be used ?

I think the answer to your question is to either purchase one and test, or to wait until various user reports arrives.

Still only your ears will tell you if this is something for you and your setup.

Don'f forgot that the USPCB may also add something or a lot. 

Since there is a 30 day money back guarantee, I suggest you place an order ASAP, before June production is gone ?

(And yes, I ordered as well).

Maybe you also can find some help here:

1 hour ago, satfrat said:

So my gut feeling is my system would see the most improvement from the LPS-1 for my Regen.

My feeling is sell the regen asap ?

Order the ISO regen !

Then later order two (or 3) LPS-1 for powering your Empirical Off Ramp 3 USB Converter, (and the possible the ISO regen) 

Or sell that Empirical Off Ramp 3 USB Converter, and use a Singxer F1, and use the rest of the money on a LPS-1....

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, greenleo said:

John,

I'd rather you may produce  an LPS-12V version first, an item that has been anticipating, talked long time ago, and wanted for a long time.

That is all ready available. You just purchase two LPS-1. What is not available is a plug that does the serial connection. And that is what we should request. 

I suggest Alex should use some of his 1000 Oyaide plugs and offers such a cable. 

You may may even get Jesus new front plate that bundles two items together made withe a new text ?

On 15.5.2017 at 8:34 AM, JohnSwenson said:

Changing the voltage on an LPS-1 requires re-writing the firmware in the FPGA, not a trivial task. I think that would be one of the more ambitious reverse engineering tasks. 

If it's that "easy":

How many orders is needed to do such an upgrade, let's say at a cost of $100 pr. modification ?

Or even simpler, can the FPGA be field replaced ?

Better is of cause you guys make your own DDC ?

16 minutes ago, greenleo said:

This has been discussed before.  Two LPS-1 in series means two energiers and will the cabling more clumsy.  Let all alone another cable is needed to contact tnbe 2 LPS-1.

The 12 V version has also been discussed, and if I remember correctly, John mentioned a 3K price point. So your option is then Vinne Rossi. 

A high price to pay just for some annoying cables ?

15 minutes ago, PeteGardner said:

1 - Does it make any difference if you place a Jitterbug at either the source or Regen end of the USB cable?

Are you actually able to place it on the end ??

(If so, I like to see a picture). 

55 minutes ago, Superdad said:

As it says on the USPCB A>B Adapter product web page: "The USPCB will not be available for separate purchase until after all first production run orders for ISO REGEN have shipped."

Well, that should mean this weekend ? according to privious announced shipment plan. 

But it could also mean next month, as it is hard to know how to define first production run. 

2 hours ago, scan80269 said:

Most DACs in the market today have not achieved total immunity from USB signal quality issues, which is why the reclockers can make audible differences (for the better).  Ideally a DAC should be insensitive to how good or bad the incoming USB signal is, but in practice they are all vulnerable to various degrees.  Designing to achieve this immunity is far from trivial!

If inserting a REGEN (or other reclocker) in front of a USB DAC yields no SQ improvement, then it suggests the DAC was very well designed and achieves a high degree of USB noise immunity, making the reclocker redundant & unnecessary.  The vast majority of DACs are not in this category.  Until DAC designers can create better designs to achieve USB noise immunity within the box, the reclockers continue to have a place in digital audio transmission over USB.

And this is maybe a good reason to use a very good DDC. (USB to SPSIF converter).

I've notice the SU-1 use the same clock as the ISO regen by the way. 

I hope @Superdad and @JohnSwenson will come up with a super DDC soon. 

I think replasing my F1 or hiFace EVO (think they sound equal in my system) must be my next upgrade.

I can't see an UltraRendu will make any difference, as long as I have an ISO regen.

As my understanding is to put the best clock as close to your DAC as possible. This may also be a reason for not adding an audiophile switch I guess. 

Any thaughts ?

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

However, for a DAC's audio master clocks (or the audio freq. clocks in a USB>S.PDIF converter which get embedded in the SPDIF/AES stream and supplant the DAC's clocks (though often a DAC will reclock that input), that is where no expense should be spared (though the rest of most DACs add more jitter from their circuitry and never get the full benefit of an über-expensive clock).

Looking forward to your and John's solution on this :D

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

I could build an adaptive interface that outperforms almost anything on the market today of any type, but it would be pretty expensive.

Not sure if we're talking about a DCC. But is it possible to define expensive if you know you would sell easily between 500 and 1000 units ?

Are we above 1K ?

@JohnSwenson

I'm trying to figure out something. You may read between the lines ?

Assuming the ISO REGEN has the LPS-1 in use. 

Will the the output of the ISO REGEN in theory be equal compared to what ever is in front of it ?

It may not matter if it's a computer or any "similar devices" ?

If the input matters, would as an example, the clocking of the device in front of the ISO REGEN be crucial ? (Asume we use USPCB, so cabling is not part of the question). 

Now here is something very interesting, and for sure should be easy to answer:

What should I expect, if anything, if a use two ISO REGEN in series. (With two LPS-1). 

I do understand or suppose that the device after the ISO REGEN also matters, but for simplification, we do not have to address that now, as I think this is more related to listening impressions. 

Well if that is the true, that it does not matter what is in front of the ISO REGEN, that will impact people's decisions a lot I think. And possible that school as wel ?

Anyway your answer make sence, but I don't mind some official confirmation (based on the technicalities). 

"Then there are two options".

The sound of USB REGEN vs. the sonic of everything else that outputs an USB stream.

Maybe we're close to a no-brainer ? 

Then I just hope for the ultimate DCC.

An Uptone Audio USB to AES/EBU converter. 

2 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

That has been stated by the designer and the proprietor many times here, already!

Then I'm happy i'm ordered one, and that I actually also can move my LPS-1 from my MicroRendu to the ISO REGEN without any impact at all.  No need for a second LPS-1.

You can even use a Pi as an endpoint. Noe need of expensive Korean products or similar. 

It will of cause be interesting to to read all kind of listings impressions of various products and combinations the next few months.

But those impressions may as well be how your DAC or USB/SPDIF converter response to a supposed perfect signal. Not to mention how your power wiring is done. 

On 20.5.2017 at 10:43 PM, JohnSwenson said:

This is why the clock used for generating the USB signal has anything to do with sound quality. At this point in time nobody has generated a receiver circuit that completely ignores the fingerprint from the USB stream. So every DAC is going to be sensitive to some degree or another to the clock used to generate the USB stream. Different implementations vary greatly as to how much they let through, so the relevance of low phase noise in the USB clock is going to vary, for some it is going to make a big difference and for some it will not matter as much.

OK, based on this I understand now that actually conclusion earlier today was a  bit wrong misleading by some other true believers ?

So how I now understand this is that avoid using a PC upfront the ISO REGEN, as one have to assume the computer has the worst clock. 

A good endpoint with a propper clock is crusial upfront the ISO REGEN.  So since some of John's creations also contains endpoints of "various quality", I think i may have to purchase something from this paranoid guy that just closed his thread. ?

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Exactly!  I hope folks listen to you.

I should not probably say this, and it's OK if this post is deleted, but I just wondering how that "poor designer" feels about this. 

It can't be that fun for a person so passionate about his work, and share almost everything with us being denied to explain all the potential customers what they probably like to know before the final decision of a purchase. 

There may be others than just us the customer, that will take one business elsewhere. Lost sale and lost income.