IGNORED

2 Channel Speaker Advice/Suggestions

Soon I will be setting up a 2 channel system in room that adjoins my dining room. I guess you could call it the Library room. The room is 15.5 feet by 12.5 feet and is sunken by about 6 inches. The room adjoins another room that is 15.5 feet by 12 feet. The rooms aren't really separated. There are two support pillars and hand rails that stick out several feet from the walls between the two rooms. They are actually in the dining room floor space.

If I had to guess, here is the hardware for the two channel system (subject to change):

DAC: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil
Preamp: Schiit Audio Freya
Amps: Schiit Audio Vidar x 2
Headphone amp: Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2
Speakers: Unknown

Yes, I am pretty happy with Schiit!

My plan was to place the speakers at the side of the Library that is next to the dining room. In other words, the back of the speakers would be facing the dining room while the front of the speakers would be facing the Library. The speakers would be backed up against the hand rails/support pillars. There would be a lot of open space behind the speakers.

My budget for speakers is in the $3000 range. I was thinking the Martin Logan Motion 60XT speakers might be good. But I really could use some suggestions here. I haven't purchased speakers like this in 35 years! I value clarity and clean accurate sound over strong bass. I am not planning on getting a subwoofer at this time. Are electrostatic speakers a good option or is the bass weak?

Thoughts?

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

also do a test listen to Magnepan 1.7i

post a sketch of the room(s) for better help & reserve some $$ for room treatments

The room is too small for maggies and I don't think the amp is strong enough to drive them.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

"The room is 15.5 feet by 12.5 feet and is sunken by about 6 inches. The room adjoins another room that is 15.5 feet by 12 feet. The rooms aren't really separated"

may depend on how the rooms are connected, but can certainly try a test

The left wall of the Library is a bookshelf. The floors are oak hardwood. The big rectangle in the bottom right corner of the Library is where I am guessing the component rack will go. The small squares in the Library are where I am guessing the speakers will go facing toward the center of the room. The little dark squares at the end of each room divider is a small pillar. The section between the pillars and the wall are not solid and are about 42" tall.

The are windows at the north wall of the Library and the south wall isn't a wall. There is an 8 foot opening to the hallway on the south wall of the Library. It is an open room.

On 4/1/2017 at 6:04 AM, Speed Racer said:

Soon I will be setting up a 2 channel system in room that adjoins my dining room. I guess you could call it the Library room. The room is 15.5 feet by 12.5 feet and is sunken by about 6 inches. The room adjoins another room that is 15.5 feet by 12 feet. The rooms aren't really separated. There are two support pillars and hand rails that stick out several feet from the walls between the two rooms. They are actually in the dining room floor space.

My plan was to place the speakers at the side of the Library that is next to the dining room. In other words, the back of the speakers would be facing the dining room while the front of the speakers would be facing the Library. The speakers would be backed up against the hand rails/support pillars. There would be a lot of open space behind the speakers.

Are you open to suggestions on room layout?   The layout you have shown may have some issues which may or may not matter.  The first is that laying the speaker cables will be a challenge.  Second is that the sound is going to bounce of the wall behind the listening position.  Here are my suggestions for two options you may consider, with the position of the sub (optional) arbitrary at this point. 

Option 1:
Place the speakers along the long wall.
Listening position is just forward from the opening
Sub is placed to the left or right along the wall

The sound opens into the dining with no reflections behind the listening position

Option 2

Place speakers along the short wall

Listening position is just a bit back as shown
Sub placed on the left of the seating position

The library wall acts a diffusor behind the listening position
Edit:  Just saw your comment on the South Wall so this may rule out this option

I would recommend a good book shelf speaker for this room size.
Look up the Stereophile Recommended List for some options

Good luck!

room.opt1.png

room.opt2.png

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110