IGNORED

Chromecast Audio, Muzo CobbleStone or other Audio Receiver

I am looking for a simple and low cost Network Audio Receiver that I can use to play Tidal and some music files I have in my computer on an older Stereo System.

I came across three products:  Chromecast Audio, Muzo Cobble Stone and Pyle Wireless Audio Receiver.

Does any one have experience with these items and could share your experience.

What I found so far is that the Chromecast Audio is having some issues playing Tidal in HiFi, and it is not clear if they have fix the problem yet.

I own both Muzo Cobblestone and Chromecast Audio. I am currently using the CCA with Tidal hifi without any issues with BubbleUPnP control point on Android tablet.

Advantages with CCA compared to Cobblestone is digital output (for separate DAC) and 5Ghz wireless. Advantages Cobblestone are wired LAN and simple multi room control (with Muzo player app only).

🎛️  Audio System  

The only issue with the CCA is that it doesn't support gapless playback when streaming contiguous audio file tracks from a playlist (such as from TIDAL HiFi).

Hope this is not important to you, seeing as you've already ordered one.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

for $35 its really hard to beat the CCA using toslink out.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

On 3/19/2017 at 10:31 PM, Cornan said:

I own both Muzo Cobblestone and Chromecast Audio. I am currently using the CCA with Tidal hifi without any issues with BubbleUPnP control point on Android tablet.

Advantages with CCA compared to Cobblestone is digital output (for separate DAC) and 5Ghz wireless. Advantages Cobblestone are wired LAN and simple multi room control (with Muzo player app only).

I ordered the Muzo, awaiting the arrival. I use Tidal on an iMac and iPad. I took the recommendation from The Absolute Sound Magazine.

I don't understand the statement: "Advantages Cobblestone are wired LAN". Does that mean it needs to be hardwired to the internet wifi modem? I thought it would be placed across the room or in another room at the HiFi Amp location and receive the signal by wifi from the computer. Is that how to get music wirelessly by Airport Express. I have an Express but it does not connect from the hifi to the computer. Maybe because the Express is an old original one and the iMac is the newest OS?

Also, what is the "multi room control"? How does that work with one Muzo and several stereos in multi rooms?

7 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

I ordered the Muzo, awaiting the arrival. I use Tidal on an iMac and iPad. I took the recommendation from The Absolute Sound Magazine.

I don't understand the statement: "Advantages Cobblestone are wired LAN". Does that mean it needs to be hardwired to the internet wifi modem? I thought it would be placed across the room or in another room at the HiFi Amp location and receive the signal by wifi from the computer. Is that how to get music wirelessly by Airport Express. I have an Express but it does not connect from the hifi to the computer. Maybe because the Express is an old original one and the iMac is the newest OS?

Also, what is the "multi room control"? How does that work with one Muzo and several stereos in multi rooms?

Wired LAN= Ethernet port for hardwired connection

Multiroom needs mote than one Cobblestone. Managed simply via Muzo player app. You can even make two Cobblestone play in stereo with one for right channel and one for left channel if you like.

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Does that mean it needs to be hardwired to the internet wifi modem?

Cobblestone works both with wireless and hardwired ethernet. Chromecast Audio only works with wireless.

Cobblestone will sound slightly better hardwired and even better if hardwired to a wireless adapter like for example TP-Link AC1750 RE450 IME (with static IP and DHCP off). Don´t ask me why! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

An ethernet adapter is available for the Chromecast Audio.

I found it on Google store. A bit of a deal breaker for me that it max outs 100Mbit/s and no way to run it off batteries. I´ll have to pass that one and wait for a Gbit speed version with 5v input.

🎛️  Audio System  

What for music requires a gb?   For power I have the usb plugged directly into the front of my panamax 

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

6 minutes ago, erniejade said:

What for music requires a gb?   For power I have the usb plugged directly into the front of my panamax 

I prefer to have everything in Gbit speed. it sounds slightly better in my primary setup with Tidal as source, even if both works just fine.

You should try to power it with a single output powerbank (like for example TP-Link Vivid 6700mAh) disconnected from ac mains while listening to music. Sounds much better IMO.

🎛️  Audio System  

24 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I found it on Google store. A bit of a deal breaker for me that it max outs 100Mbit/s and no way to run it off batteries. I´ll have to pass that one and wait for a Gbit speed version with 5v input.

Yes, the official Google Chromecast ethernet adapter comes bundled with power supply and is intended to replace the stock power adapter.

However, given your previous (and current) modding tendencies, why wait for an appropriate Google upgrade (that may never come) when you can 'make' your own, eg:

Connecting a Chromecast to Ethernet is possible!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

11 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

However, given your previous (and current) modding tendencies, why wait for an appropriate Google upgrade (that may never come) when you can 'make' your own, eg:

Connecting a Chromecast to Ethernet is possible!

Thanks, as you can see on my previous post I already found it. Do you know if the CCA will work with a Gbit network adapter or if it only can handle maximum 100Mbit/s with the OTG path?

If it works with Gbit speed I will try to connect it the same way as with my primary setup, ie. CCA>OTG>network adapter>Gbit network switch>wireless ac adapter>wifi>router, to see if this approach will improve on the CCA as well.

🎛️  Audio System  

No idea, but would be certainly be interested to know if it does, especially given the reported problems some 100Mbit ethernet streamers have connecting to 1G switches.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

No idea, but would be certainly be interested to know if it does, especially given the reported problems some 100Mbit ethernet streamers have connecting to 1G switches.

I intend to find out! After a lot of searching for Ggigabit network adapters I realized that most of them are USB3.0. I almost thought it was impossible to find a Gigabit one with USB2.0...until I found this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/l6s/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Windows-Chromebook/B003VSTDFG

I will order it and cross my fingers that it will work with 1000Mbit/s speed! :) 

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, Cornan said:

Wired LAN= Ethernet port for hardwired connection

Multiroom needs mote than one Cobblestone. Managed simply via Muzo player app. You can even make two Cobblestone play in stereo with one for right channel and one for left channel if you like.

Thanks, I will start with just 1 Muzo.

I know about LAN, I was trying to buy a wireless streamer that does not need to be hard wired to the internet. I thought that was the whole point of these. So I am good if I can put the music far from the internet and computer. 

On 3/21/2017 at 9:38 AM, Cebolla said:

The only issue with the CCA is that it doesn't support gapless playback when streaming contiguous audio file tracks from a playlist (such as from TIDAL HiFi).

Hope this is not important to you, seeing as you've already ordered one.

I do not understand this gapless playback problem, what exactly happens when playing Tidal?

13 hours ago, Martin_Solo said:

I do not understand this gapless playback problem, what exactly happens when playing Tidal?

Here is Spotify´s explanation of gapless playback which sums it up in a few words, much better than I could explain it:

Gapless playback lets the tracks flow seamlessly, one to the next, without any silence between. Perfect for classical music, live recordings and concept albums.

But they forgot to mention progressive rock! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

BTW. I have ordered a chepeo chinease OTG host cable and a TP-Link TL-UE300, so within a couple of weeks I will know If CCA will work with a USB3.0 network adapter and battery power. I will also check if it somehow will work with a wireless USB adapter as well. I have an Asus USB-N53 (5Ghz/300Mbit/s) collecting dust in a drawer that I can just as well try out to see if possible. I´ll keep you posted if you like!? :)

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Here is Spotify´s explanation of gapless playback which sums it up in a few words, much better than I could explain it:

Gapless playback lets the tracks flow seamlessly, one to the next, without any silence between. Perfect for classical music, live recordings and concept albums.

But they forgot to mention progressive rock! :)

Concept albums should cover prog rock - ask any Yes aficionado. Ironically, Yes rarely (if ever) bothered splitting the ~20 min sides of their original vinyl concept albums into individual seamless flowing 'movement' tracks - so no need for gapless if you've got only one track!

-- Jo Cox

Forgot to mention that there's no need for the studio album to be a concept album, for it to have some gapless tracks. For example, the excellent alternative rock band Doves have some bog standard studio rock albums with some gapless tracks, eg:

The Last Broadcast is gapless between tracks 5 (Where We're Calling From) and 6 (N.Y.);

Some Cities is gapless between tracks 1 (Some Cities) and 2 (Back and White Town).

-- Jo Cox