IGNORED

Roon Hardware Question

I've been thinking, and since you're already have Roon on your MAC, my advice (in addition to get the Ethernet done ) is to purchase a MicroRendu (or similar) powered by the LPS-1

I would consider this as a very low risk, and if you for any reason is not happy, it should be possible to sell the items at almost full price.

Yes, I agree. The first thing I'm going to see if I can find a non-destructive way to get ethernet to that room. Once I get that sorted, I'll get the LPS-1 and either the MicroRendu or sMS-200. On that note, my understanding is the sMS-200Ultra will be around $1200USD so that's not a realistic option for me.

Well, I couldn't get internet into that room w/o turning it into a big project so I just ordered the Netgear Orbi as that will give me more than enough ethernet ports in the music room. It should also improve wifi range in the 2nd floor which helps justify the cost.

Just if you don't know, that Pi can serve as a Roon endpoint.

I couldn't get the Pi working via wifi (there is no end to threads discussing solutions to this problem). I even bought a 2nd wifi dongle that was recommended. After spending a bunch of hours messing around with .config and loads of other things, I gave up on that and will use it as a Roon endpoint in another room where there is ethernet.

I couldn't get the Pi working via wifi (there is no end to threads discussing solutions to this problem). I even bought a 2nd wifi dongle that was recommended. After spending a bunch of hours messing around with .config and loads of other things, I gave up on that and will use it as a Roon endpoint in another room where there is ethernet.

Yes, I meant with your new ethernet solution [emoji3]

UPDATE: Netgear ORBI works really well so I now have both the Transporter and Hifiberry connected to ethernet from the ORBI satellite.

I've also ordered the LPS-1 since it will take 2-3 weeks to get it. Not sure whether to get the MicroRendu or sMS-200 next.

So now; that Pi also works with Roon Brigde, and USB into you Schiit DAC ?

Can the LPS-1 power your Pi ? I think so. You only need to transform it that 2,1 mm into a mini USB plug.

05CDACED-A214-4D77-AD1F-3D9F4B6B213A-41333-00002490E9485CC6.jpeg

If so, and this is better SQ than your Transporter, you should probably consider the new ISO regen, that is not available yet.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/iso-regen-31769/

This as an option to the MicroRendu or sms-200.

(You can still exchange the Pi with another endpoint and use the ISO regen)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

So now; that Pi also works with Roon Brigde, and USB into you Schiit DAC ?

Can the LPS-1 power your Pi ? I think so. You only need to transform it that 2,1 mm into a mini USB plug.

[ATTACH]34143[/ATTACH]

If so, and this is better SQ than your Transporter, you should probably consider the new ISO regen, that is not available yet.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/iso-regen-31769/

This as an option to the MicroRendu or sms-200.

(You can still exchange the Pi with another endpoint and use the ISO regen)

Thanks for the info! I'm currently using coax to go from the hifiberry to the dac. Schiit recommends either AES or coax/optical to get the best result from the the Yggdrasil. Having said that, I'm not sure it makes sense to switch to USB.

Thanks for the info! I'm currently using coax to go from the hifiberry to the dac. Schiit recommends either AES or coax/optical to get the best result from the the Yggdrasil. Having said that, I'm not sure it makes sense to switch to USB.

But isn't that Hifiberry a DAC also ? (Edit, I see it's the SPDIF version you have)

A "bad" DAC feeding a good one ?

If you have Roon Brigde on that Pi, I would expect USB to Yggadrasil ? Never done ?

Edit:

I think USB direct is possible:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-bridge-for-arm-a-beginner-s-guide-to-raspberry-pi-and-cubox-i/10138

But isn't that Hifiberry a DAC also ?

A "bad" DAC feeding a good one ?

If you have Roon Brigde on that Pi, I would expect USB to Yggadrasil ? Never done ?

the hifiberry digi+ series has a coax out. the hifiberry dac+ series is a dac with analog out. he must have a digi+.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
the hifiberry digi+ series has a coax out. the hifiberry dac+ series is a dac with analog out. he must have a digi+.

He has, but what I'm wondering is if USB direct is better. I'm sure there must be a thread about that. I have a look.

From Roon:

I already own a USB DAC – can I leave my HAT off?

Yes, you can. After installing Roon Bridge, just plug in your DAC and it will show up in Roon as a Roon Bridge capable endpoint. While the Raspberry Pi’s network and USB configuration is slightly compromised (they all share one 480Mbps system bus), recent driver versions have alleviated earlier timing issues somewhat. In normal circumstances, the Pi performs fine up to 192kHz/DSD64. At higher bitrates, YMMV – but in recent testing, my Pi3 performs fine at 384kHz/DSD128.

He has, but what I'm wondering is if USB direct is better. I'm sure there must be a thread about that. I have a look.

from what i've read, the usb out is pretty noisy, so would take some of the typical isolators/reclockers/regens. for the price, most comments seem to say that an rpi3/digi+ with moode is pretty though to beat for the price.

haven't heard a pi though . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
from what i've read, the usb out is pretty noisy, so would take some of the typical isolators/reclockers/regens. for the price, most comments seem to say that an rpi3/digi+ with moode is pretty though to beat for the price.

haven't heard a pi though . . . .

Yes, I've read the same for the pi which was why I bought the Digi+ board.

An sMS-200 or microRendu w/ AES would seem to be the ideal solution for the Yggdrasil but since that doesn't exist I need to decide if its even worth getting one of those when the Yggdrasil doesn't work best with USB input. I read about the Singxer F1 and that could be a good option but that's another $200 USD.

Perhaps I should just use the LPS-1 with the Hifiberry for now.

Yes, I've read the same for the pi which was why I bought the Digi+ board.

An sMS-200 or microRendu w/ AES would seem to be the ideal solution for the Yggdrasil but since that doesn't exist I need to decide if its even worth getting one of those when the Yggdrasil doesn't work best with USB input. I read about the Singxer F1 and that could be a good option but that's another $200 USD.

the digi+ pro version allows the addition of an xlr jack -- have to pull out your solding iron and go at it yourself, though.

i've been dying to know how an rpi3/digi+ pro combo sounds. with an lps-1, i bet it's pretty sweet.

the digi+ pro version allows the addition of an xlr jack -- have to pull out your solding iron and go at it yourself, though.

i've been dying to know how an rpi3/digi+ pro combo sounds. with an lps-1, i bet it's pretty sweet.

Nice, I didn't realize that was an option. I have an rpi2 w/ the digi+ transformer version (pro didn't exist at that time) but I could use another rpi so maybe I should get an rpi3 and this digi+ pro version w/ the bnc.

I read about the Singxer F1 and that could be a good option but that's another $200 USD.

I have that F1, but I have because my Theta Generation VIII doesn't have USB.

And I can't see what that F1 would add in your setup, unless you're planning some i2s interface diy. Or maybe that require the SU-1 [emoji3]

I think trust your ears. Reviews of Yggi is 2 years old. And much happen since then. That USB may not be bad, and now you have the option to test it.

You could even start with a Jitterbug. (I have that too).

I have strong believe in the new ISO regen, and if it doesn't work in your setup, it would be very easy to sell.

Remember to purchase a Y-split DC cable as well to your LPS-1.

If your budget allows, you could of cause go direct to a Auralic Aries with femto clock [emoji3]

Direct from Ethernet to AES\EBU.

I have that F1, but I have because my Theta Generation VIII doesn't have USB.

And I can't see what that F1 would add in your setup, unless you're planning some i2s interface diy. Or maybe that require the SU-1 [emoji3]

I think trust your ears. Reviews of Yggi is 2 years old. And much happen since then. That USB may not be bad, and now you have the option to test it.

You could even start with a Jitterbug. (I have that too).

I have strong believe in the new ISO regen, and if it doesn't work in your setup, it would be very easy to sell.

Remember to purchase a Y-split DC cable as well to your LPS-1.

If your budget allows, you could of cause go direct to a Auralic Aries with femto clock [emoji3]

Direct from Ethernet to AES\EBU.

The Yggdrasil USB isn't as good from what I've read. Quite a few people would like them to offer an upgrade.

In any case, it would be interesting to try the ISO regen. I'm sure it will be good and not too expensive.

The Auralic Aries isn't in the budget that's for sure.

I've been thinking about this some more and I've decided I really do like using the Logitech Transporter as a transport (via ethernet) and I'm going to stick with the Mac Mini/NAS combo as the ROON or LMS server for now.

Having said that, the question now is what's the best way to feed the Yggdrasil to get maximum quality?

- Transporter goes to Yggdrasil via AES (current set-up)

- Transporter goes to ISO REGEN (powered by LPS-1) and then to Yggdrasil (obviously, this solution would need to wait for the release of the ISO REGEN)

- Transporter goes to sMS-200 or microRendu (powered by LPS-1) which then goes to Yggdrasil (maybe add ISO REGEN when it ships???)

Future upgrade:

JS-2 for Mac Mini

Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, Arcus said:

- Transporter goes to Yggdrasil via AES (current set-up)

- Transporter goes to ISO REGEN (powered by LPS-1) and then to Yggdrasil (obviously, this solution would need to wait for the release of the ISO REGEN)

- Transporter goes to sMS-200 or microRendu (powered by LPS-1) which then goes to Yggdrasil (maybe add ISO REGEN when it ships???)

I can't see how that Transporter will work in any of those suggested setup. 

If the Transporter can do USB out, then you can use ISO REGEN. 

But I thought you didn't like the idea of USB to Yggdrasil. 

The sms200 or MicroRendu will both be used instead of your Transporter. 

But you can add a hiFace EVO2 or a Singxer F1 or SU-1 after if you prefer to use the RCA or AES/EBU interface instead. Or any USB/SPDIF converter. 

8 hours ago, Arcus said:

Future upgrade:

JS-2 for Mac Mini

Waste of money ?

Especially since that Mini is in another room. 

You can for fun just take that mini, and move it to where your Transporter is, and do an USB direct to Yggdrasil. If you like the sound, you can start think about a JS-2 or similar. But first add in a ISO REGEN. That may do the whole trick ?

Still most people would recommend the MicroRendu route. But that may change when ISO REGEN will be available. 

In any case it seems that you quickly need to purchase a LMS-1 for either a ISO REGEN or a MicroRendu ?

(Or maybe for a USB/SPDIF converter)

Yes, I ordered the LPS-1 and should have it by the end of next week so I can connect it to the RPi/Hifiberry and see how that sounds.

I don't think the ISO REGEN will be available for a while so I may see if I can get a used sMS-200 or MicroRendu and compare that to both the Transporter & RPi.

The HiFiBerry board comes with TOSLink and RCA (BNC can be added for the Pro version) so, unless I'm missing something, there's no benefit from having that board if you use USB. Having said that, I think an RPi3 with the ISO REGEN and LPS-1 might be a really good combo!

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to go in a different direction and order the KEF LS50 wireless speakers. I think I'll continue to use my Logitech Transporter w/ roon as I like being able to see the display and because I don't feel I'll lose any quality if I connect Transporter USB output to the upcoming ISO Regen w/ LPS-1 and have that connected to the LS50's. Does that make sense or am I misreading the ISO Regen's function?