IGNORED

Roon Hardware Question

I just started a Roon trial and I'm impressed so far. Having said that, it got me thinking about my current connection and how I could improve it. My current set-up is the following:

Drobo NAS (ALAC)>Roon (Mac Mini)>Logitech Transporter (via wifi)>Yggdrasil dac>Coincident Turbo integrated tube amp

In the above the Transporter is just serving as a transport but it's useful because I don't have ethernet in that room. I was reading about the MicroRendu but that doesn't seem to be an option for me due to lack of ethernet in that room. I've also been messing around with a Raspberry PI w/ HIFIBERRY DIGI+ but have been having wifi connection issues so far.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be welcome.

I just started a Roon trial and I'm impressed so far. Having said that, it got me thinking about my current connection and how I could improve it. My current set-up is the following:

Drobo NAS (ALAC)>Roon (Mac Mini)>Logitech Transporter (via wifi)>Yggdrasil dac>Coincident Turbo integrated tube amp

In the above the Transporter is just serving as a transport but it's useful because I don't have ethernet in that room. I was reading about the MicroRendu but that doesn't seem to be an option for me due to lack of ethernet in that room. I've also been messing around with a Raspberry PI w/ HIFIBERRY DIGI+ but have been having wifi connection issues so far.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be welcome.

I also have a similar set up: Drobo, Roon, and Transporter. I use the Transporter as a transport the same way you do, except that I have it hard-wired (Ethernet).

Please post what you end up with and how the sound compares vs the Transporter. Thanks!

I also have a similar set up: Drobo, Roon, and Transporter. I use the Transporter as a transport the same way you do, except that I have it hard-wired (Ethernet).

Please post what you end up with and how the sound compares vs the Transporter. Thanks!

Have you done any comparison testing between wifi vs. ethernet on the Transporter in the current configuration? I'd love to know if there is a noticeable difference as I could conceivably get ethernet to that room but it would be a major hassle so I don't want to tackle it unless the ROI is worth it.

Btw, I'm waiting to see more details on the sMS-200 Ultra.

Have you done any comparison testing between wifi vs. ethernet on the Transporter in the current configuration? I'd love to know if there is a noticeable difference as I could conceivably get ethernet to that room but it would be a major hassle so I don't want to tackle it unless the ROI is worth it.

Btw, I'm waiting to see more details on the sMS-200 Ultra.

Years ago I used to run the Transporter via wifi and never experienced any problems with dropouts. However, the wifi router was not too far away in an adjacent room. Eventually I decided to run an Ethernet cable and installed a switch to accommodate wired connections to several components that required an Ethernet connection. At that time I stopped using the wifi in the Transporter. From memory, I do not recall any SQ difference in wired vs wifi, but I did not play high res files at that time which perhaps could have taxed the wifi connection.

Thanks for the info. That's consistent with my earlier experiences with the Transporter as well. I had read somewhere that ethernet had superior sound quality to wifi so I was curious. I haven't had any issues so far running Roon via wifi but my core is connected via ethernet and my library has only 15K ALAC tracks.

Might I suggest you also check the Roon forums. These issues are often discussed there. It seems that other people have had success with the Pi. You might want to peruse their posts or ask for advice there, as well.

Yes, I have checked the Roon forums along with many other forums, including the Hifiberry forum, and have tried many different recommended changes with no luck. It works fine w/ ethernet so I think I'll just use it in another room.

Yes, I have checked the Roon forums along with many other forums, including the Hifiberry forum, and have tried many different recommended changes with no luck. It works fine w/ ethernet so I think I'll just use it in another room.

Fair enough. Just thought I'd suggest it, in case you hadn't. I'm about to head back to Canada, where I'm going to try the Pi route for use as an endpoint for other purposes. I'm likely to connect it with Ethernet, though. If it works, I'll bring a couple of Pis back to Brasil with me and use them here.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Fair enough. Just thought I'd suggest it, in case you hadn't. I'm about to head back to Canada, where I'm going to try the Pi route for use as an endpoint for other purposes. I'm likely to connect it with Ethernet, though. If it works, I'll bring a couple of Pis back to Brasil with me and use them here.

FYI, I've had no issues with the Pi using ethernet and I've tried a bunch of different audio and video applications.

Thanks for the info. Another very good option to consider.

The best way is both something that can act as an access point, and then a small cheap 5 or 8 port unmanaged switch. Or if you only need one Ethernet interface, you could use 2 FMC's instead.

Peolple claim that sound is better from a switch than a noisy wireless item.

That may be a very individual experience.

That something may even be a powerline, though not sure if that is a good option.

Purchase good cat 6 cables (or 6a) from Blue Jeans Cable.

This way will also of cause make your Logitech Transporter start working :)

So I guess this is a no brainer ?

The best way is both something that can act as an access point, and then a small cheap 5 or 8 port unmanaged switch. Or if you only need one Ethernet interface, you could use 2 FMC's instead.

Peolple claim that sound is better from a switch than a noisy wireless item.

That may be a very individual experience.

That something may even be a powerline, though not sure if that is a good option.

Purchase good cat 6 cables (or 6a) from Blue Jeans Cable.

This way will also of cause make your Logitech Transporter start working :)

So I guess this is a no brainer ?

But a Roon endpoint is different from an access point. It requires computing power and Roon-suitable software or firmware.

But a Roon endpoint is different from an access point. It requires computing power and Roon-suitable software or firmware.

The point is he does not have Ethernet in that room.

When that is in place he can use his existing Transporter, or a MicroRendu, or any suitable HW / Roon endpoint.

If he has a laptop available, he could even install Roon Brigde, and pull a USB cable to his Yggdrasil, but I guess he already tried that as well.

Or later start experimenting with bridging on a MAC mini or any other computer when he got the MicroRendu :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/

The options are are almost endless

The point is he does not have Ethernet in that room.

When that is in place he can use his existing Transporter, or a MicroRendu, or any suitable HW / Roon endpoint.

If he has a laptop available, he could even install Roon Brigde, and pull a USB cable to his Yggdrasil, but I guess he already tried that as well.

Or later start experimenting with bridging on a MAC mini or any other computer when he got the MicroRendu :)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/

The options are are almost endless

Got it. I misunderstood your recommendation. My apologies.

Thanks guys!

Just to clarify, the Transporter is working via wifi w/ Roon. I noticed a couple of glitches when trying to skip to the next song but not sure if that is a bandwidth or software issue.

My main goal is to see if there is a good upgrade from the Transporter and it sounds like either the microRendu or sMS-200 would be a good way for me to go. I learned that the sMS-200 supports a USB wifi dongle but I suspect I'll either need to create the access point or figure out how to get ethernet in that room if I want to start looking artist's up via Roon on a tablet while playing music.

Thanks guys!

....but I suspect I'll either need to create the access point or figure out how to get ethernet in that room if I want to start looking artist's up via Roon on a tablet while playing music.

As long as you have wifi access your controller tablet with Roon (iPad Air ???), will fulfill that task.

Are you not able to do today ?

How do you use that Transporter if not ?

Front display on the Transporter it self ?

The access point is for make cabled Ethernet to your devices.

As a trade of, I think is the correct term, you also get better wifi coverage.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_models_of_iPhone_and_iPad_can_I_use_Roon_with%3F

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_Android_devices_can_I_use_Roon_with%3F

I have been using the iPhone app but haven't used anything with a larger screen yet. I'm thinking this would put more demand on the network but we'll see shortly.

No it won't [emoji3]

If you have a laptop (MAC or Windows) you can test with that. (As controller).

Or later start experimenting with bridging on a MAC mini or any other computer when he got the MicroRendu :)http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/novel-way-massively-improve-sq-sms-200-and-microrendu-31110/

I've been reading about this and it sounds easy enough although I wonder if the sonic improvement would be as noticeable w/o upgrading the power supplies for the Mac Mini, modem/router and I guess my NAS as well which would be quite expensive. I also wonder if the improvement would be lost if I then went from the sMS-200 or MicroRendu to my DAC via wifi. On that note, I also noticed that romaz modified his Mac Mini with the Uptone Audio MMK so perhaps a SONICTRANSPORTER I5 would be a better way to go. Like you said, the options are almost endless.

You won't go wrong with the SonicTransporter i5. I have it myself. A very safe and good option. And the MicroRendu as well.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/intel-nuc-sonictransporter-tale-two-mini-computers-running-roon-core#KU62OMTiBm3QT72m.97

And you don't have to place the SonicTransporter in your audio room, unless you like to use USB from it.

I think you should prioritize the Ethernet cable. From there you can do "anything", or is it everything [emoji3]

I've been reading about this and it sounds easy enough although I wonder if the sonic improvement would be as noticeable w/o upgrading the power supplies for the Mac Mini, modem/router and I guess my NAS as well which would be quite expensive. I also wonder if the improvement would be lost if I then went from the sMS-200 or MicroRendu to my DAC via wifi. On that note, I also noticed that romaz modified his Mac Mini with the Uptone Audio MMK so perhaps a SONICTRANSPORTER I5 would be a better way to go. Like you said, the options are almost endless.

I've been thinking, and since you're already have Roon on your MAC, my advice (in addition to get the Ethernet done ) is to purchase a MicroRendu (or similar) powered by the LPS-1

Your weakest part today is feeding your DAC in my opinion.

The powerkit for the MAC is cheap, but if I understand things correctly, it requires you to purchase a good LPS. And that isn't cheap. Also as long as you keep Roon in the other room, I'm quite uncertain how much any Roon HW upgrade will add, before you have a decent endpoint.

If you choose a SonicTransporter i5, (or a NUC for ROCK), you could add HQPlayer to the Mac later.

I don't know your budget, but I hope the MicroRendu + a LPS-1 is a realistic option.

Then you also get a 60 days extention of your free trail, and hopefully you will have a LPS-1 before trail expires.

I would consider this as a very low risk, and if you for any reason is not happy, it should be possible to sell the items at almost full price.