IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Hi Miska. I did not see networkaudiod 3.5.0 image for cubox-i. No need, or just haven't done it yet?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I haven't got time to build one yet. I will do other updates to the image too once I rebuild it, so it'll take some extra effort and will happen some time later...

If you are in hurry, you can always have another microSD with minimal Debian Stretch and the the provided networkaudiod package...

Thanks, certainly no hurry on my part. Just curiosity. The image is working so well I will likely leave it alone until an update is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 years later...

At least when 18.10 first came out, HQP wouldn't run on it. I rolled back to 18.04 and will stay there until 19.04 comes out.

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, Miska said:

you wouldn't believe how much I spend time on testing and making everything work correctly

I would. 🙂

• 3 years later...

Hi @Miska. Trying to get Embedded working in an Arch-based distro (ArcoLinux). Installation and configuration went fine, and hqplayerd is running, but trying to play a selection with Lumin as well as trying to play directly from the web interface are unsuccessful and result in messages of the following type when I ask for hqplayerd status:

clPlayerDaemon::OnWebFiles(/cover/86eed7f5fafcaa4a2a2095bf7f896d86): clFileIO::Map(): mmap(): Invalid argument

Thoughts as to a solution?

Just now, Miska said:

Sounds like some file access permissions issues. Or some other process permissions limitation.

Is the user that should have permissions hqplayer?

36 minutes ago, Miska said:

Sounds like some file access permissions issues. Or some other process permissions limitation.

35 minutes ago, Jud said:

Is the user that should have permissions hqplayer?

Arch User Repository is set up so that HQPlayer Desktop is shown as conflicting with HQPlayer Embedded, so when I installed Embedded I had to give permission to delete Desktop. When Desktop was deleted, so was the 'hqplayer' user, and installation of Embedded didn't recreate it. Once I created the hqplayer user and added it to the audio group, everything worked.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

There is no reason to do this, both can coexist. I have both installed on my Ubuntu systems.

Same here on Xubuntu. I don't know whether it was a previous or potential future problem with conflicting dependencies, since version upgrades aren't simultaneous, or if not that, what the reason might be.

By the way, I wanted to note the Arch User Repository (AUR) isn't an official part of any Arch distro. It's set up for 3rd parties who want to provide applications that aren't part of the official builds.

18 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Is there some secret handshake required to get UPNP to work with HQPe? I haven't been able to get it to work, can see as renderer using bubble UPnP with Kazoo controller

and minimserver, create play list, but play never starts, no song shows in main screen.

11 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Are you meaning Bubbleupnpserver?

I have configured Bubbleupnpserver as you can see here

IMG_2390.thumb.jpeg.9faf1924d963b8bfebf05c9a1480a07e.jpeg

and I can use Kazoo, Linn and Lumïn app, I’m using Minimserver too.

Maybe it can take a while to start (few seconds) depending on your HQP filters and modulator settings

….

edit

remember that if HQPe is on trial it can work/play for 30’ than you need to restart it

Kazoo is going away in favor of the Linn app. I haven’t been able to figure out how to get the Linn app to work without a piece of Linn equipment (suggestions welcome). I mostly use Lumin. MConnect and JPlay for iOS will also work. I believe the latter is by subscription.

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

while not DLNA, Audirvana

Audirvana acts as an "ad hoc" UPnP/DLNA server and control point when playing media over such a connection.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, rodthebod said:

Thanks for the quick reply,

OK, so I treat the selection process as if I am using Bubbleupnp of mconnect with MinimServer as I do now playing to a Lan input on my Gustard R26 DAC without HQplayer.  

When I tried using both these apps on first setup, I saw Minimserver as usual as the browser/library selection and I then looked for HQplayer in the 'play to' selection and there it was and it selected with no issue.  But on trying to select a track nothing plays, it doesn't start to play. I must have something wrongly configured in HQPlayer.

BTW I have HQplayer Desktop working well from my main MacBook Pro M1 but I really want a system where it doesn't involve using my main MacBook I use for everyday stuff, and a system where I can use a phone/tablet app to control it.  HQPDcontrol on my iPhone works with HQP Desktop without Minimserver but I really want to use my old MacBook Air i5 for HQP music with MinimServer.  Minimserver works great for me the tagging and speed are excellent.

Do you have HQPE or Desktop running on your main Linux OS at the same time? If so, stop hqplayerd (or Desktop if you have that running) and see if that helps.

Hi @Miska - I'm holding back some packages in an Arch-based rolling release distro so they don't get out of sync with the dependencies your Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Desktop and Embedded packages are built with. Where's the best place to look to see if/when these packages are updated in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS?

6 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I hadn't considered that. Audio devices are on three floors of this house, with all wiring going through the walls to a pair of Netgear switches in my garage. I have no idea how I would route the various upstairs devices to a router located near the NUC and my office system in my basement or the basement devices to a router located upstairs near one of my main or bedroom systems. 

Mike, is there a reason you don’t just replace the Xfi router with your own (and save the monthly fee on top of getting better network behavior)? Comcast/Xfinity allows that here, is it different where you are?

4 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I can do that and have planned to.  The explanation for my having the xfi router right now is simple:  Comcast waived the rental fee with a two-year renewal at precisely the same minute that my previous ASUS router died.  I am at the end of the free period, though, so will be charged $15 a month rental starting next month.  

I now am investigating routers to purchase.  Unfortunately, I am finding that state of the art router prices are through the roof at the moment, to the point that savings recovery might take years at $15 a month.  

Surprisingly, the performance of the xfi router is markedly better than the Netgear DOCSIS 3.1/ASUS AC2600 combo that it replaced. The only real world downsides of the xfi for me are the terrible console and the IP reservation quirks. 

That makes a lot of sense.

My previous routers (I have a mesh pair) started dropping connections occasionally after long service. It may have been an interaction with updated firmware, not sure. But I decided to do some future-proofing and got a mesh pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZenWiFi-AXE11000-Tri-Band-ET12/dp/B09QRLZMMH/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=asus%2B6e%2B11000%2Brouter&qid=1683463569&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

You’re right, it will take about 4 years for these to pay for themselves, but on the other hand I intend to have them around for a while. And if you want a single router vs. mesh, and WiFi 6 vs. 6E, it’s less than half the price and a 2 year payout.

I’m using them with this cable modem, which is AFAIK the fastest thing going and can use the router to its full capabilities (if Xfinity ever upgrades to 2.5gbps; right now I’m guaranteed 1.25gbps download and usually get 1.5-1.6):

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-S33-Multi-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B08FMSC5WZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=N6FF38LAG57M&keywords=arris+s33&qid=1683464342&sprefix=arr%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVkZSRjJHT1I5SjRZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODUyNzA0MThBVjY5WFhRMlJJMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjcyNTM2MlpGMlQ2Q1IxS1pXWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I’ve had this combination for a month and am really pleased with the performance and what has so far been complete reliability handling a network of 30+ devices.

Of course most people don’t tend to go as overboard as I do on this stuff. 🙂

3 hours ago, skipspence said:

Helplessly hoping that the Gen.5 HQPe OS would play any of the ec modulators on my i5 10600 with DSD512, but sadly looks like even ASDM5ec-lite can't do ...

Has anyone with i5 10600 (not K) tried DSD512 with ec mods? Please share your experience.

i7 8700K here (overclocked to 5GHz) works at DSD512 with the latest EC modulators.

1 hour ago, GMG said:

Now I’m really curious why my i7 10710U is not able to go beyond 256 with EC modulators. with 512 CPU is at roughly 450% (6 physical cores), temps are not sky rocketing and there is plenty of memory available. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s Embedded, so unless you have DoP checked that’s not the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Miska said:

I consider UPnP IGD as a huge security vulnerability and I would personally never enable such. But it is of course up to your consideration. It is unrelated to this matter.

It exists only for the purpose of applications able to punch holes to the firewall and open port forwarding, to accept incoming connections from the internet to the devices inside the local network. This doesn't require any kind of authentication. You can maybe imagine what kind of possibilities that opens up for malicious software/devices. Or even JavaScript on some web page.

Let's say we wanted to do something similar in a more secure way. For example, I have my local music on the Web (https) through Airsonic-advanced. Is there a way, once I access that music from a remote computer, to send it through HQPlayer running on that remote computer? (Essentially streaming, but my own music rather than a streaming service.)

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I don't think Airsonic even supports UPnP IGD? It uses fixed port setup where you can establish explicit port forward on your router. Should work with HQPlayer too, but I have just not looked into how it is supposed to be used.

But of course more secure way would be to use VPN to access your home network.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I would certainly not want to do UPnP IGD! What I meant was to use Airsonic-advanced in the usual way, to access my music stored at home from a remote computer via https. Then once I have the https stream coming to that remote computer, is there a way to have HQP running on the remote computer play the https stream?

2 hours ago, Miska said:

However, if your https server expects username + password, then that is not supported at the moment.

Unfortunately yes it does require username and password. 🙁

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Current implementation is for internet streaming services, and these don't use HTTP authentication methods. And so far, nobody asked for username/password support either...

I can understand that, since I doubt many people have bothered to set up their own personal full resolution streaming.

Just in case I have the wrong idea about what we are discussing, I have it set up pretty much the same as the streaming services - initial name and password to access the page/music storage, but then I don't *think* (though I'm not certain) one would need the username and password again for each individual album/track.

Edit: The domain does use SSL and have a certificate issued by a certificate authority (i.e., not self signed).

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Miska said:

Another 7054 is cleaning up connection between the server and T+A DAC 200, although the noise wasn't audible (USB packet ticking at about -120 dB), but it was visible in measurements. That disappeared completely too.

Is there any practical way for ordinary users to measure noise like this without it being buried in the noise of the computer doing the measuring, or is real test equipment needed? If real test equipment is needed, what is reasonably good that is most affordable?

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Desktop can be controlled remotely using the HQPlayer remote desktop app that comes with Desktop...

Have we forgotten that this exists?

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 2.24.21 PM.png

Haven’t forgotten, but if he’s going for DSD1024 with various filters/modulators, he may not want to give the CPU and GPU the job of running a GUI.

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you use Client to control HQPlayer Embedded from another computer, it has no additional cost, or any GUI running on the HQPlayer Embedded server. It only talks to the HQPlayer control API.

This is the native way to use Qobuz with Embedded, listen MP3 internet radios, or play local library content.

Yes, thanks. I was responding to a comment about Desktop, but I did not want to unintentionally leave the impression Client couldn't be used to control Embedded on another computer.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miska said:

There are no suitable decent cross-platform UPnP stacks.

Yes, I tried finding one for MacOS, and finally found something old that I seem to recall doesn't work with hi res. Don't know if there's anything for Windows either.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Embedded uses Rygel which is not cross-platform. But it is otherwise very good one

For Linux, Rygel is nice, and I also like upmpdcli. I've had no problems with either.