37 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks!! Most helpful. I'll snag a couple to try out...

I don't hear a significant improvement by grounding the Brooklyn like I heard with the Nimitra. Maybe because the Brooklyn is powered by VR mini which is disconnected from the mains whereas Nimitra is powered by the JS-2.

48 minutes ago, Cornan said:

If the Brooklyn have isolated ICs and is powered by VR Mini you will likely be better off trying it elsewhere. A router, preamp, amps and safety ground pin (example on a power strip) is usually good spots for a grounding box. If you track down the spots which is not 100% isolated 24/7 from AC mains and on IC paths (ie. not full galvanic isolation) it will likely be a good spot for external grounding. You can also use the grounding box as a "tracker" by connecting it from spot to spot during listening sessions. You hear an instant improvement on a good spot.

I will follow your advice once I have everything in place with the new layout. I am

also getting 2 silver wires from Audiosensibility for grounding with bananas and spades terminations to try on different spots. 

Yes my brooklyn is isolated on both power and IC with the VR and LPS-1.

the switch is not so that explains the benefits I got with grounding. 

I will also try grounding my audience distribution box which has only Naim gear to see if it makes a difference 

54 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Not being a DIY cable-roller, I've asked the ebay seller to quote me on some alternate cables besides the crocodile clip default. I'm thinking an assortment of RCA, power, and USB terminations should give me the flexibility.

Have you guys seen my latest chain? I've gone to a bridged direct connection, got rid of the FMCs (better SQ without), gotten an sMS-200 (powered by LPS-1) to replace Aries Mini (with Auralic LPS), and currently evaluating Roon core as the server on my W10 bridged box, optimized with AO and Process Lasso. The full chain is in the sig.

For grounding locations, I was going to try:

1. the W10 desktop. I guess I can just use the default ground wire's crocodile clip to a chassis screw. Or plug in a USB port if I get a USB terminated ground wire.
  2. Codex DAC via RCA ground wire
  3. Cavalli amp - RCA ground wire, although may have a chassis ground lug available to crocodile clip to
  4. Not sure it's advised to try it on the P5 regenerator.
  5. sMS-200 - given it's already powered by LPS-1, doubt it'll help.

Your thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Interesting updates to your system. I will check it out later tonight 

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I too am waiting on the sMS-200 Ultra and the tX-USB Ultra, but decided to get the sMS-200 anyway for now, The Ultra's will likely be in the $1k-1200 range each, so may be rather expensive, when you factor in the fact they may need more juice than an LPS-1 can provide.

And of course, if Alex offers some sweet combo deal on ISO-Regen+LPS-1, it will be hard to resist.

It's a great time to be a ... oh, you get the idea. :)

I have one extra LPS-1 lying around doing nothing! I want to use it somehow somewhere, I don't want to sell it, I know I will need it sometime.

If each ultra will be $1K then that is expensive!

59 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I think you guys lost me here. I am actually not familiar with the Nimitra, so @moussaobeid can perhaps confirm. I understood he was using the Nimitra to be a standalone music player - with music stored either in locally attached disks, or a NAS - feeding a directly attached USB DAC. So in that sense, it is just a purpose-built computer.

Now, to integrate an sMS-200 in the chain, the only thing you need upstream of the sMS-200 is a music server of different flavors:

• a plain old SMB share, which the sMS-200 can access, and be controlled by an MPD control point
  • a DLNA/UPnP server like Minim, JRMC, Bubble, etc, that the sMS-200 can attach in MPD/DLNA mode
  • an HQPlayer instance, where sMS-200 is running the NAA mode
  • a Roon core, where sMS-200 is running 
Functionally, most of these except HQPlayer, can be achieved on either a standalone computer, or even directly on a NAS of sufficient horsepower (this is for Roon).

As I, @romaz and many others are finding, even with an endpoint device like the mR or sMS-200 in the chain, the quality of the upstream "music server" matters. So in this context, the Nimitra - as a carefully purpose built audio computer - may be at an advantage.

Not sure there is any more to it than that.

Correct @austinpop Nimitra is just a win 10 PC designed for audio. Now you can use it straight with a DAC like I do via USB or use it to serve music to an endpoint like SMS-200. You described this better than I can do.

I use Jriver to play music from my local SSD which also serves as a DLNA server

I am not sure about sound quality with Nimitra by itself or with the combo Nimitra+SMS-200

13 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Well, I am not the one who do not believe in it! ?

However, it might yield different results when playing local files vs cloud content.

I know for sure that these network related tweaks sounds best with Tidal streaming in my setup so far:

1. BubbleDS Next via OpenHome

2. Router powered by a lpsu with floating output relative to the safety ground.

3. Short Cat6a U/UTP network cables

4. Galvanicly isolated router input

5. Wireless ac network adapter (close to the steamer) with strong 5Ghz WiFi only, static IP and DHCP off

6. Externally grounded network switch powered isolated from AC mains.

?

In my system local files always sound better than Tidal, I confirmed this with some friends who joined me for a listening session. We ripped one CD and played it and then we listened to the same album on Tidal. Local is much better. I also compared many other tracks I have with Tidal streaming. Local is always the winner.

After my latest tweaks with battery powered bridge and AQVOX switch and isolation transformer and an LPS on my main router and using Bubble DS Next, Tidal is now very very close to my local music but still not there :)

9 minutes ago, Cornan said:

FYI. Master content is already available on LightningDS. I did listen to it on my non MQA DAC and I think is sounds a bit clinical to these ears. It will likely sound better with a MQA DAC though.

@Cornan do you have any idea if MQA will be available on Bubble DS Next?

1 minute ago, Cornan said:

Thanks for sharing Moussa! ?

How do you connect to Tidal? Directly to Nimitra or through Jriver? Direct approach via OpdnHome is always best with Tidal IME. Also using 5Ghz WiFi is a must IMO. I know you connect via 2,4Ghz. Tidal just might catch up! ?

I stream from Bubble DS Next to Jplaystreamer which runs on my Nimitra. I ordered a 12v rechargeable battery for my Asus bridge and I get it I will be using 5Ghz.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Moussa,

Since your DAC, the Brooklyn, is an MQA DAC, what has been your experience with Tidal Masters content after full MQA decode?

Although - that is probably off-topic. ;)

I haven't really done a proper extended comparison with and without MQA. My initial impression is that MQA definitely sounds better than non MQA tracks, bigger sound stage and more air around instruments. I still prefer my locally stored music. Keep in mind I haven't listened to MQA tracks after my network optimizations.

Overall the well recorded DSD albums that I have sound absolutely gorgeous and I am very confident to say that they are better than MQA but I know that this maybe apples to oranges 

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

That's the right approach you've got there. Let's hope the battery powered Asus bridge will give you even closer. Keep me posted! ?

Keetakawee the developer of Nimitra and Fidelizer made his tests and told me that Tidal sounds best with Jplaystreamer and BubbleDS Next, much better than the PC native app of Tidal

22 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hmm yeah that's a shame. You really should be exploiting MQA. I wish had a Brooklyn!

At this point, the only headless solution I'm aware of that will pass-through MQA content from Tidal is Roon Core. But maybe there are others. I would hope that Bubble DS would soon pass through MQA  content (currently seems to max out at 16/44.1), but no idea if this is in their roadmap.

Of course, your requirements are easier since you have an MQA DAC. You only need a server that will pass-through the MQA stream, whereas the rest of us with non-MQA DACs need the MQA SW decode feature too, which is very unlikely to come to Bubble DS.

:D  I should get a commission from Roon today - I seem to be making sales for them!

Hmm I think I will try Room to see what it is all about. I can get a trial license

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yeah see what you think. I'm neither a hater nor a cheerleader.

You would install it as headless (Roon Core) on your Nimitra, and install the full version on a different machine for control.

Good you told me, I am a complete ignorant about Roon,

So I will install the full version on my laptop and Roon Core on my Nimitra, lets see how it will go. I am only interested in how they integrate Tidal

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Exactly.

Even though you only want the Control on your laptop, they package it as a full install. After install, when you run it, it will ask you if you want to use it as a control app.

So - install the Core first, then the control.

Great thank you @austinpop

6 hours ago, Cornan said:

Be sure to keep track of the trial period. I heard that Roon will happily charge you for a year if you forget to end it yourself. If nothing have changed the trial period does'nt run out automatically. If it is a keeper that will not be a problem though. 

I would be interesting to know your sq impressions with Roon vs BubbleDS Next with non-MQ content on Tidal as well! ? 

Thanks for the watch out, luckily I didn't use my credit card for Roon. Nimitra offered us 2 month trial period with Roon, so no risk here :)

I will post my impressions very soon

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I just found a way to improve the Chromecast Audio that I did´nt know about.

001-google-chromecast-ethernet-adapter.thumb.jpg.68d9c33f5223ec9301ed85da3f4d4d9a.jpg

I just need to check if it will work with a Gbit speed wireless adapter. If it does I am good to go with a wireless adapter+network switch solution for the CCA as well! :) 

Interesting! You make me think about my Chromecast Ultra that I use to stream Youtube music videos To my TV whether I can improve picture and audio quality.

what is this ethernet adapter you have?

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

It might be worth a shot! ;) I just posted which one I ordered. But keep in mind that I am not 100% sure it will actually work...but for me it is worth the gamble! :)

Right now my chromecast Ultra connects wirelessly via 5G, so this means that I need to get a wired connection or a wireless bridge again :) to try

5 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Right now my chromecast Ultra connects wirelessly via 5G, so this means that I need to get a wired connection or a wireless bridge again :) to try

I just realized that Chromecast Ultra has its own ethernet port so I will try to see if adding an ethernet isolator makes a difference. 

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

It all depends if you´re calm enough to wait for me to try it out! ;) I will be going on a business trip to China on Monday and will be back on 5:th of April, so no results from me until then atleast.

Great have a safe trip.

I already have the Baaske MI1005 isolator which I got before the accoustic revive one. Currently I am using it on my main router and I forgot about it. I will try it tonight when I go home, so quick and free experiment:)

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Well, then there is no point adding a network adapter! :) I just had a quick look at the CCU. It says something about power adapter with ethernet port. Make sure to plug that one into your IT if possible. 

Chromecast have the same power adapter with ethernet port as an accessory for the CCA, but I choosed to ignore that one due to the ac mains connection plus 100Mbit/s limit. I do not know if the Ultra¨s version are Gigabit speed though? 

BTW. My USB2.0 ethernet adapter is not true Gigabit either, but it is atleast around 400Mbit/s.

Yes I also found it weird to have the ethernet port in the power adapter. The IT is plugged to the router on the other side of the room. I will try without it first.

I have also a second idea to test which is to use a wireless bridge with my TV and plug the Baaske isolator and see if this makes a difference to Netflix streaming.

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

I changed my order to this TL-UE300 since I tend to trust TP-Links network products. I also bought a chepeo OTG cable from China to connect it to my CCA.

UE300_un_V1_892_68_normal_0_20150217110931.jpg.56acda54c05f27cead9dc9a86c1f0040.jpg

I will report back when I have recieved it. Hopefully I´ll get the network switch and Gophert lab style SMPS (with floating output relative to safety ground) by the time I´ll get back, so I will have a bunch of coming experiments.

The coming expected experiments will be:

1. Daisy-chained network switches on my main rig. Better or worse than with one network switch?

2. CCA>OTG>TP-Link TL-UE300>30cm Cat 6a U/UTP>battery powered network switch>30cm Cat6a U/UTP>TP-Link AC1200 DAP1620 plugged into Ultra IT. Better or worse than wireless connection to the CCA?

3. CCA>TP-Link TL-UE300>Asus USB-N53 wireless USB card (5Ghz/300Mbit/s). Will it work at all and will it improve SQ on CCA?

4. Gophert PSU connected to my Oehlbach DAC Edition 40. Improves SQ over supplied SMPS connected to a Ultra IT? 

5. Gophert PSU connected to the network switch on my main rig to evaluate if a charging a batterypack (ie. plugged into ac mains) that at the same time is powering a network switch could be a cause to why grounding makes a difference, despite 100% isolation from ac mains and galvanicly isolated ICs while playing music (plausible reason = biult up internal static charges inside the network switch due to the ac mains connection while charging).

Should be fun! :)

A nice set of experiments in the pipeline, you always have a roadmap of experiments :)

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

While waiting for my flight I got a little experimental and digged out my DIY battery grounder which is bathing in tourmaline stones inside a pure silver box which is completely covered with electrical tape.

It actually made quite a nice improvement to the Oehlbach DAC Edition 40. Crystal clear high notes and noticeable wider sound stage. More dynamics as well. It will stay there! ?

IMG_5875.thumb.JPG.2a2551088603d3e4eaf0f4a4b1f6797a.JPG

I also got my DIY micro vibration brass foot filled with clear quartz on the bottom and inside the velvet jewellery pouch on top. Difficult to say if it makes a difference though? Might re-check it when I come back! ?

IMG_5876.thumb.JPG.34015d022f03048eb8d513ad6bfd5027.JPG

All in all very happy with the result with my low budget system so far.

Really impressive stuff, have a safe flight!