@Cornan thank you for a great thread. It's nice that people here are very open minded.

I have some questions:

I'm looking for a good power suply for my Netgear C6250  12V/2.5A modem/router.

I've been looking at

Voltcraft lab 4-6 AMP PSU

BOTW P&P Eco

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131867485038

can You or other users here recommend one of these?

I've also been looking at the Peaktech IT, but I'm In doubt if this can work In a 230V wall outlet without earth?

Regards and keep on tweaking Monge.

1 hour ago, John769 said:

I compared a 12V version of the ebay one (seller Zhufan) with a Voltcraft 1134 for my DAC/ PC.   The ebay one sounded better with a blacker background and was, I felt, worth the extra outlay for my DAC (not sure I would feel the same way about a router though).  The voltcraft SQ was close but a bit grainier/ cloudier and was more inefficient than the ebay and other 12V linears I have;  consuming 34 watts versus around 25 watts of the others. It was very good value from Conrad though with free delivery when I ordered it.  Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot. Regards Monge

14 hours ago, Cornan said:

Thanks a lot Monge! Always great to hear that someone is enjoying to read this thread! ?

I still use my Voltcraft 1134 (floating LPS) for my main router with great results with Tidal as source. However, I would never use it for my Brooklyn DAC, unless I just want to experiment. It is very important to first of all know where your music bits are coming from before you choose the power for your router/modem. If you use cloud content I think it is very important to use a floating psu. Ofcourse more expensive is usually better. If you only listen to local content you are probably better off concentrating the power on the network switch to something better, preferly a floating psu (battery, floating LPS or floating SMPS depending on funds).

In my latest findings a dual float is very beneficial to SQ, which means a floating psu (like Gophert or Voltcraft) plugged into a floating IT (like Peaktech 2240).

Regarding Peaktech 2240 it should never ever be connected to a wall outlet without safety ground/earth. In fact I would never ever connect any of my audio devices with a Schuko plug to a ungrounded socket. Only if the device have a two prong plug without ground like this one.

Euro-Flachstecker_2.thumb.jpg.3e38eef5cbecc0d5360109d46922f6a0.jpg

I hope that helps! ?

Thank you for your detailed answer.

I use Tidal Hi-fi and my TP-Link TL-SG108E switch got an IFI iPower 9V. In the TP link I can disabel all unused ports.

Here In Denmark many houses and flats have Wall outlets without safety ground/Earth except for washingmashine etc.

So I supose I can't use Voltcraft or Gopherd either?

36 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Your welcome Monge! ?

I'll say the IFi Power is a good choice for the switch.

The safety ground is mainly a personal safety concern. A Voltcraft or Gophert will float the ground between AC & DC. You can probably connect them but I doubt they will be as efficient in your setup without a safety ground pin. Peaktech 2240 will however require a grounded socket, otherwise it will be dangerous for personal safety.

In your setup I would recommend using a audiophile LPS for the router/modem. A valuable R-core version like this one for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/131867485038 will most certainly be a great upgrade with Tidal as source.

Yeah, The LPS from eBay looks good.

Have you tried the TP-Link TL-SG108E or TL-SG105E switch In your B- setup. They Can be freeded with 5V and managed. The only thing that miss is a gnd skrew. I like The TP-Links a lot and they are cheap.

Regards Monge

@Cornan I'm following this wonderful tweaking thread from The sideline.

Regarding Bluewalker Powerwalker AVR 1200 they write "Powerwaker AVR is a voldtage regulator which accepts wide input voltage range (180-264VAC). It provides stable output voltage through boost and Buck stabilizer. The built-In thermal sensor provides over-temperatur protection and recover, while abnormal situation is eliminated."

But what is a boost and buck stabilizer?

Thanks Monge

21 hours ago, Cornan said:

Welcome Monge! ?

A boost and buck stabillzer is simply a boost and buck transformer used to ensure a constant voltage of the AC mains. It will boost the voltage if it gets too low and lower the voltage (buck) when it gets too high.

Here is some info if you want to find out more: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck–boost_transformer

Micael

Thanks, now I understand better. I've ordered a Powerwalker AVR 1200  for 42$ incl. freight.

Did you try The Axing ZKU 14 DC blocker with TP links MC200CM's or other FMC's connected in your chain?

Have you tried The Supra https://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=4388 with F-connectors?

Regards Monge

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

That Powerwalker is only 720 watts. That's not a whole lot for an audio system. At least not when you factor in power amplifier momentary requirements.

@Speed Racer I'm aware of the 720Watt The Powerwalker Can handle. I' m going to use it for a streamer and a CD transport.

Regards Monge

@Cornan wouldt'nt it be good idea to make a tread about The Best routers or modem/router for streaming music and routers that produce less noise? And og course tweaking.

Regards Monge

@Cornan I've ordered 2 of these:

https://www.conradelektronik.dk/DC-blocker-SZU-14.htm?websale8=conrad-dk&pi=940483&ci=SHOP_AREA_17492_1317055

I'm now looking for a 10m good and affordable coax/sat cable instead of the standard. My router is placed In another room. I've been looking at some Canare cables.

I have been running 3 different routers The last week. Netgear CG3000, Netgear CG3700EMR and Sagem Fast 3890 and to my suprise I prefer The CG3000 SQ vise, when streaming Tidal HiFi.

I wonder why? Maybe the bigger processor gives more noise?

Regards Monge

54 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Great Monge! I hope you will like the Axings. Do report back your findings when you've tried them. 

When I changed my router to a better one the SQ increased as well. Difficult for me to answer why. I can only confirm that it was the same for me. Other things that have improved my router is a Voltcraft 1134 floating LPS, a ATL Hi-Fi AC mains DC Blocker trap filter, a BluWalker PoweWalker 1200VA AC mains voltage regulator and surprisingly a galvanic isolator and better cables for my TVs analogue coaxial cable. Why the last one improved SQ a bit is likely since my satellite cable and my analogue coaxial cable is running together and there is a possible reduction in capacitive coupling between the cables when it is better shielded and galvanic isolated. TV picture got better as well! ?

For sure I'll report back my findings. You say galvanic isolator. Which one The Supra GSS arial with F-females and where do you locate that?

Thanks Monge

@Cornan Nice finds and very interesting teory with the Static electricity.

I've been looking at this powerwalker model also:

http://powerwalker.com/index.php?page=product&item=10120306&lang=en

I own 2 poweramps a Kenwood L1000M (with The matching L1000C preamp) and a Denon POA2200 and both are using max. 500Watt according to specifications.

i'm only using one poweramp, not both at the same time.

Regards Monge

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Monge! ? Great to hear that the PowerWalker improved SQ in your setup! ? Look what I got today.

IMG_6659.thumb.JPG.2bae4ecb5942f3b557764b9947f33b10.JPG

PowerWalker 1200VA no 2 and no 3 (no 1 is located pre DC Blocker and floating LPS at the main router end)! ? I will try one in my A setup between ATL DC Blocker and Peaktech 2240 and the second one pre the Perfect Power Ultra IT powering my active speakers in my B setup. I will post my impressions here as soon as I have tried them.

Please do post your impressions with the Axing DC Blocker when you've tried it.

For sure I'll post. I'm excited to hear your impressions with your new Powerwalkers used other places within your systems.

17 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Here my first impressions with the BlueWalker PowerWalker 1200VA in my B setup.

IMG_6660.thumb.JPG.0f337df5d9703eaedc93b195a9fe7bd4.JPG

I started with the PowerWalker pre my Ultra IT powering my active speakers. The dynamics and bass increased a lot. Even the volume was a lot higher than before. Sounded good, but clearly ambience, air and 3D was sacrificed.

I quickly decided to switch so the PowerWalker was connected to the Gophert csp-3205II powering all the 5v devivices plus wireless adapter instead.

IMG_6661.thumb.JPG.43821baabfdee15d8cbb992301b333c1.JPG

Well, that was a different story! Ambience was back and improved. 3D was back and improved. Air was back and improved. Dynamics increased. Bass increased. Volume roughly as before. Yepp, it's a keeper! ?

Next up will be more critical when I try it in my A setup. Let's see where that ends up. I'll be back! ?

i did'nt fully The power senario..The Powerwalker from Wall outlet to Gophert? And Ultra IT to your active speakers.

13 hours ago, Cornan said:

Difficult to describe what I am hearing, but it definately improve sq. ? It is like a bit of pure oxygene have been pumped into the music. A clear breath of air making it sound a bit more vivid. More omph in the low end frequency range. Easier to hear the nuances of various sounds in the aurial space. 

It's a very good describtion regarding SQ improvement from the Powerwalker. The Powerwalker is a real bargain In ny opinion.

I think I need to buy the Oelhbach Phazer. Could be handy In many situations.

I'll try out The axing tonight. You'll need a seecret room for all your boxes.:D

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Monge! :)

I already have secret spaces for my boxes, but now that space if packed to the limit with big black boxes. As you saw with the PowerWalker in my B setup (first post about them) I am starting to add them onto the floor quite visable. No good for family peace if I continue that journey! :D

The Oehlbach Phaser is a really useful device. I bouht mine for roughly EUR 90 many years ago, but I have seen them new for roughly EUR59 excl freight on eBay. Also noticed this second hand one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oehlbach-Phaser-Phasendetektor-17017-Phasenprufer-Polaritatstester-/142511589486?hash=item212e5a486e:g:NdUAAOSwv3FZwAk1. You might get it for a good price if you place a bid at the right time! ;)

Let me know what you think about the Axing. I am curious you know! :)

The Axing DC-blocker plugged In at the router end. First impression to be honest I can't hear a lift In SQ. Now I'll leave The Axing for some days and see.

But I'm very happy with The Powerwalker. I might buy another and hide it for my wife :D

Thanks a lot for links to Oehlbach Phaser.

Do you know this DC-blocker:

http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=316

But I think The ATL DC trap filter is a better quality.

13 hours ago, John769 said:

I'm also wondering which Powerwalker AVR model to get:  My system, incl active monitors, consumes usually around 140 watts when listening to most music, but can peak momentarily up to about 180 watts when played very loud with deep bass. I'm thinking either the Powerwalker AVR 1200 or AVR 1500?

There's a chance I will buy a second Isolation Transformer at some point,  allocating that to my monitors and keeping the current one (Peaktech 2240) for the PC/DAC. If that happens, then whatever Powerwalker model I buy now can be allocated to either IT.  Or even both simultaneously?

I've tried The Powerwalker AVR 1200 720watt with my Kenwood L1000M and I did'nt get any improovement In SQ, but I tried with streamer, an old Denon DCD3300 and a Pioneer DV-668AV used as CD transport and here I got a lift In SQ with all 3 devices.

I think Cornan has a point to use the Powerwalker In the signal chain or at beginning of the signal chain.

Regards Monge

29 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Really nice music recommendation Monge! It is saved in my album list now so I can enjoy it later! ?

Here is a little something in return that I hope you'll like! ?

Susie Suh - Your Battlefield

http://tidal.com/track/1316931

hqdefault.thumb.jpg.d81d9c41a8634f0afa817e357962f9b3.jpg

Thanks. It's on my Tidal album list now. My family is occupating our listening room now watching TV so no music for now and the next hours.

Regards Monge