53 minutes ago, Monge said:

@John769 I'm excited to hear your impressions with your new Powerwalker 2000. Please do post when you have tried it.

Regards Monge

Here's some Music recommendation for the weekend. Emilie Schiøt After the rain.

https://www.emilieschiott.com/

She is Danish and it is her debut album. It's on Tidal etc.

I like the album. Maybe I'm getting old.

Thanks for the recommendation as I am into female vocals with a "harem" of over 200.  She has really beautiful voice.  Too bad only streaming and iTunes offered rather than digital download.

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Welcome back agladstone! ?

Ok, thanks! I have seen those 20A IECs around, but never on audio gears here in Sweden though. Thanks for clearing that out! ?

I already use three BlueWalker PowerWalker 1200VA's in my setups with great result. In A setup, B setup and at the router end. So far it seems that it is not as beneficial with high power devices such as power amps and active speakers, but the reason might be that they'll require a higher VA rating. Not intirely sorted out yet though, but we're on it! ? They seem very beneficial to the signal chain, so it is surely worth a shot with your TrippLite. Do post back with your impressions when you've tried it out! ?

All three PowerWalkers are connected directly to the AC wall outlet, pre any ITs, DC blockers or power filters.

Looks like the PowerWalkers do regulate (not regenerate) power which, given the variability of power supply in UK/EU, I would be expect to bring significant improvement.

From what I have read, very few if any posters are using anything like the PS Audio P-series regenerators in their systems.  From my way of thinking what could be better than a regenerated and regulated AC supply?

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

If you're willing to buy used, I was able to snag mine for under 50% of retail. 

Still not cheap, but man, does it make a difference!

If interested, it is also worth talking directly to PSAudio since periodically they have warranted factory refurbished units at great prices.

Even a relatively inexpensive P3 unit is great for front end components.

27 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Thanks Patrick! ? I will try them again when my final voltage regulator arrives. 

You can see a lot of posts regarding the DC- grounding earlier on this thread. I have grounded the DC- on ALL my floating Gopherts in both of my setups to grounding boxes (sounds much better than connected to safety ground receptacle) with great results. I am also waiting for capacitors (1M ohm and 470k ohm among others) to try to shunt some of the low frequency noise as well (which still is passed through the DC- grounding). Not intirely sure that will work though, but some experiments will tell. Just the way I like it! ? I will post about this as soon as I've tried it.

Here is how I've done it in my A setup.

IMG_6648.thumb.JPG.8c7367c9b3c2ac796299676e0dd962fd.JPGIMG_6650.thumb.JPG.8635c3e8585ac86042b2de2dee3e2d47.JPG

Would like to more about "grounding boxes".

I too saw the reference to capacitors as you indicate but, here again, would like to know how to hook them up.  Does the rated voltage of the caps matter?

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I am over the moon right now! ?

I just re-tried the LT3045s in series pre my Aqvox and ISO Regen after removing the DC- output grounding of the Gophert powering my ISO Regen and it sounds truly FANTASTIC! ?

IMG_6733.thumb.JPG.8cd6d9cd6a328b75299a11581dfe1d89.JPGIMG_6734.thumb.JPG.c1bb522543f681fbb7f19964dd0f996f.JPG

Everything sounds so much better!!!! Now I cannot wait to get the LM317 into place as well. I got the parts today.

IMG_6731.thumb.JPG.4447853a224cb5c7e73fd3a2a37d7892.JPG

It is crazy! I am just sitting with my Fostex headphones and laughing by myself how great it sounds. Joy! ?

For us less astute electronically, can you explain what may be going on here that might be applicable to those not using Gopherts?

Or is it Gophert specific?

2 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I've got three more lt3045s to use in series with the 3 already in use.  I hope to get the soldering done tomorrow. These little things really have a spectacular impact on SQ.  Glad to hear you were successful.

Assuming you are daisy-chaining like Cornan shows in his photo, what is the value of having all these regulators in series?

Has an optimum number of chained regulators been determined?  Rather not have a bin full of extra parts that will likely never be used.

If my existing power supply is putting out 9v and voltage required by target device is 9v, what LT3045s would be required and is there some specific way they need to be hooked up...besides wire?  :D

Then, are we talking about using John's grounding umbilical on the last barrel connector going into target device?

18 hours ago, Cornan said:

So far two LT3045's in series seems to be the magic number to reduce noise. But who knows if 3 will be even better? ?

If you have a 9v PSU you can power anything in the <7v range with dual LT3045's. If you want to power a 9v device you'll need another PSU.

The DC- output grounding is the same one as JS grounding thing! ? Clearly it is best used with Ethernet devices. If used with other devices great care needs to be taken to avoid noice sharing via the ground wires.

The "9V" LPS is actually variable up to 18V but I do not see a 9V LT3045 on the link provided to rb2013 lengthy post.

Are there other output voltages available?

Another LPS is nominally 5V but has internal pot for tweaking output. 

Is adjusting up 0.5V and using with 5V LT3045 OK or should I try to give myself a bit more room for error?

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

You can find the voltages on this post by @tapatrick

You can also send a pm to Alexey and ask him for other voltages. He is a really helpful guy! :)

Thanks.  Listed closest voltages are 9V and 12V.  Looks like I will need to drop Alexey a line.

Is 5.5V at the LPS enough leeway for the 5V regulator or, given variability in, too close?

I believe Cornan was the one who posted the article by Tony Waldron which was interesting.  In the References an earlier 2-part article is also mentioned which may be even more valuable tho' I have not read them as yet...

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/emcj/0209-101-j.html&prev=search

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://t-sato.in.coocan.jp/emcj/0209-101-j.html&prev=search

I have found the series of articles by someone with handle "rb2013" highly informative.     

<https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-power-supplies-part-1-smps-lps-supercap-battery-diy-route-new-devices-opens-up-new-options.821621/>

A Part 4 on DIY, battery, etc., supplies was indicated to be in progress.

Does anyone know if Part 4 was posted somewhere?

"rb23013" enthusiastically recommends the ART PB4X4 Pro power distribution systems and indicates several in personal use, e.g., with his PC music server.  I would like to try one the PB4X4 Pro in a similar application.  I am using a APC UPS to supply my server currently. 

Would I put the ART unit downstream or upstream of the existing UPS?

Any assistance with locating "rb2013" would be appreciated.

I have a router for various PCs I use but the only connection between it and my dedicated music server PC is when I need the connection to use JRemote to control playback.  I do no streaming, etc.  The SMPS for the router is plugged into a Tripplite power center that is separate from the APC UPS powering the music server other than they are both sourced from a shared AC duplex.

Would it be worth adding  a grounding umbilical to the router SMPS?

On another note, the APC UPS is connected to the music server PC via USB to allow diagnostic communication between the two. 
Based on recommendation from "tubelover2" (nee "rb2013"), I purchased an ART PB4x4 Pro for final filtration.  Bob had indicated putting the PB4x4 downstream of the UPS to power the PC and monitor.  However, when I tried this connectivity, the PC would  power up but not boot.  As soon as I moved the power plug for the PC to the UPS, system booted normally.

Any thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

It is definately worth grounding the DC- output of the SMPS for the router since otherwise the leakage can find its way via Ethernet cables into connected network devices as well.

Unfortunately I do not know what is going on with the ART PB4x4 Pro, but try removing loads or change the socket for the PC to another one to see if that resolved your issue.

Thanks, Cornan.

Will ground the DC output of the router SMPS per your recommendation.

I will experiment more fully with the PB4x4 Pro...seems strange!

Have another question after reading so much about adding LT3045 regulator(s) to SMPS setups.  Would like to increase the current output of my LPS from 1.0A now to ~2.0A.  Is there a prebuilt board with a regulator that has noise specs comparable to that of the LT3045?

This board  was suggested...  <https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM317-AC-DC-Adjustable-Voltage-Regulator-Step-down-DC-Power-Supply-Module-LED-2A/111791252026?epid=26004199188&hash=item1a0747223a:g:LzcAAOSwWnFWClIJ >

but have read that it has actually been used as a noise source for testing!   There are threads re modifying capacitors, etc. but even these mods do not get down as low as the LT3045.

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

Your welcome BigGuy! ?

Since the LT3045's needs to match the voltage perfectly when used in parallel I would actually ask Alexey (eBay seller) to make me a 2A board with two 1A boards. He is a very helpful seller https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-A-Ultralow-noise-0-8-Vrms-LDO-linear-regulator-0V-15V-1A-Fixed-out-/253115156739?_ul=DO

As you can see on my previous post. JS have confirmed that LT3045s and LT3042s is useful for the purpose of blocking DC-DC noises just like we have found here.

I have a LM317 board with ELNA silmic II 1000uF at the input/output. So far the LT3045s is superior in my setup. I am also going to compare the LT3045s in series with shunt regulators with Kelvin output cable and connectors in a while.

Thanks again, Cornan.  Have contacted Alexey re his customizing a board for me.  We'll see...

13 minutes ago, Cornan said:

If that ground stake (jordspytt/jordspett) is easy accessible I would surely give it a try on the network switch, to ensure that the network leakage gets off the grid. Otherwise you can ground to a water pipe for example. Do however start with what John Swenson recommend. To ground it to the same powerstrip as the SMPS is connected. Most people do and it is not intirely sure that you will experience the same issues as I did. 

Which CATV DC adapters did you order? Jensen?

IIRC what I was told/read, it is important that there be only one electrical ground.  Having more than one can result in ground differential which can be a problem in electrical storms, etc.

I have other SMPS powering devices, e.g., work light, other than audio/computer supplies.  Many of them are plugged into the same power strip as those for audio/computer.  Just installed the FS105 Ver3 whose SMPS has been plugged into the same strip and grounded so I should be OK on the ethernet side.

Is there a technical reason why these other SMPS should get the grounding umbilical treatment as well? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 8:47 AM, Cornan said:

@tapatrick

Even though Supra does´nt provide pictures or information regarding their starquad microphone cables they call them MB01/H Starquad. Since this twisted pair cable is called MB01/H it is a quite safe bet that it have the same type of construction but with 4 wires (instead of two) plus ground. Note that Supra is using screen foil in close contact with the bare ground wire (drain).

5a045bf8dcba7_MB-01_strippedshadow_1024pxhigh_96dpi_8bit_web.thumb.jpg.40d71580abf1af3c7fc4290632d1c246.jpg

Starquad balanced wiring:

StarQuad-Wiring-2.png

As noted the Supra cable is suggested to be 4 star quad conductors, a GND wire and  a separate foil shield if I understand correctly. 

Using this cable for XLR, the wire connections are shown in the diagram above. 

To use John's grounding scheme, would one then attach a sixth insulated wire to both ends of the shield making sure there is no contact with connectors, internal ground wire, etc.?

If one were to use this wire to make single-ended interconnects, what would be done with the internal ground wire...attach it to the foil shield at both ends OR cut it back and use a sixth wire to create the loop?

In the case of Belden 1804A which has a tinned shield, one would need to add a fifth to complete the shield loop.

Do not use XLR myself personally but would be interested in a source of quality XLR connectors for a fellow audiophile who does.

14 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Hmm, let's see if I get your questions right? ?

1)  Not really! You'll use 2+2 wires plus 1 ground (plus shield) on XLRs with starquad. If you want to use the JSSG floating as it should be I think you've only got the option to loop pin 1 & 2. Not completely sure yet if that will give you a fully balanced connection or unbalanced connection yet though.

2)  There is several ways to do it. Either you plug positive wires to positive and negative wires to negative and use a JSSG or you can connect the JSSG to the negative side, but then it is not a JSSG anymore. You can also use it without a JSSG, but IME unshielded wires is not a good thing with RCA.

3)  Yes!

4) You should! XLRs is one of the best signal sources around, because it uses the ground/shield as the third wheel without it being connected to the outer shell of the plugs which couples with the internal pins. Natural isolation! ?

1)  I think we are saying the same thing, Cornan...  I understand the 2+2+1 of the star quad to the XLR. 

Would not attaching a sixth insulated wire to the two ends of existing cable shield be the same as a JSSG?

2) Seems that using a JSSG is the best alternative.

3) Phew!  It seems to me that this is comparable to what I am suggesting in (1) or  am I missing something?

4) I am using a preamp with only single-ended inputs and outputs tho' both my DAC and amps have XLR sockets.  I have been told that XLR->RCA adapters negate the positive aspect of the XLR connection.

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

1) No, since a proper JSSG is not connected to the plugs. Only to the shield ends. There is simply no way to get a proper JSSG to work unless you loop pin 1 & 3 at the plug end. If not it is just a plain vanilla shield.

1)  The cable shown has 5 conductors including the ground wire, and a shield.

IF I am wiring an XLR, you have 2+, 2- and GND or 5 wires.  If you now attach a 6th insulated wire (not included in the cable) to the 2 ends of the foil shield, is that not a JSSG?  I thought the JSSG was a shield with an insulated wire attached to both ends?!

IF I am wiring an RCA, you have 2+, 2-, an unused ground wire and the shield which is not attached to anything.  Can I use the 5th wire of the 5 conductor cable to create a JSSG by attaching it to the ends of the foil shield...or would it be better to not use this ground wire at all but attach an insulated wire to the ends of the shield? 

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

2) Depends. IME JSSG is truly great. However, I haven't tried every possible shield type on all types of cables. Therefore I prefer not to say anything more than it is the best one that I've tried so far! ?

3) In a way, but you did say six wires in your first question and five wires in your second question (Belden). That's why I couldn't say yes to both! ?

4) XLRs can sound great in combination with RCA, but only shines when it is balanced XLR all through.

4) Problem is that the single ended preamp is between the DAC and amps, so no ability to use XLR.