Ok I may have to give this a try, I have an old TP Link Wi-Fi extender that I bought for my workshop a year ago but never even unboxed it.

My first thought though would be to use an isolator like the EMO EN70HD between the wifi bridge and the renderer (mRendu). My next order of business will be to upgrade the power for the main router.

That's where exactly where I place my EMOsystems isolation transformer.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Please do, but remember that I am using a unshielded DIY 100Base-TX cable which have only pin 1&2 plus 3&6 connected. This will force the speed down to 100Mbps and draw less current from the ethernet PHY chip.

Also, not any TP-Link extender will work in wireless bridge mode/adapter mode/media mode. You'll need to check it.

Power a router with a galvanicly isolated PSU is one of the best improvement in SQ that I have done. Recommended! :)

So if you have a wifi adapter, what is the benefit of powering the router with an LPS? The router is galvanically isolated from the PC and NAS no?

Sorry Cornan, I obviously don't have a clear picture of your network setup. I thought you had added a wifi adapter and eliminated a hard wired connection to your router. Is your music stored within on the DAC side of that wifi connection or are you moving music bits through the router at playback time?

My TP Link RE450 is used as a wireless adapter with cables to Aries Mini only. No cables to the router, just a wireless connection.

I play Tidal streaming only via OpenHome. (ie. all music is going through the router).

Still a galvanicly isolated lab psu makes a huge difference in SQ for me. The lab psu blocks the noise from the AC mains. These AC mains noises is most likely affecting the performance of the router negative. It does'nt matter how much it is isolated from a PC/streamer/NAS when the enemy is coming from the AC mains.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Wow, I am surprised. My tidal streams through an SMPS powered router, two in fact, and an SMPS powered bridge. It sounds great, competitive with local storage.

I'm down to one PC now, with local storage, so roon/HQplayer play my library without any network traffic.

Thanks for the details.

AND sorry too, I'm probably oversensitive... there was this other guy calling a uRendu a USB filter a few weeks back, got my hackles up. Understanding how things work (and I know I really know very little) is key to making things work.

Yes, he got my hackles up too. Nothing worse than an IT guy that doesn't know how a computer works!

Well, switching today to a wireless network for my MicroRendu failed. Like I mentioned previously in this thread I already owned a Linksys wireless extender (RE2000) so today I finally got around to setting it up. I put it on its own 5ghz channel, all other devices in the house using the 2.4ghz. Also, ironically, my EMO EN-70HD arrived a day early in the mail, more on that in a minute.

After successfully setting up the Linksys wireless bridge in my living room system (modem, computer etc are on the 2nd floor) I sat down for a listen. Btw, I use a .5 meter Supra Cat8 STP between the wireless extender and the microrendu. My first impression of the "wireless" network versus the FMC/fiber network previously attached is that the wireless was slightly brighter, not in a bad way really. I generally like what i was hearing. I felt the background wasn't quite as 'dark' if you will as with the FMC's and fiber. Either way i was happy enough to keep listening.

I then inserted the EMO isolator into the chain, so...

Wireless bridge > .5m CAT8 > EMO > .5m CAT8 > mRendu

Maybe placebo, but the EMO isolator seemed to bring the 'dark/quietness' back while still retaining all the clarity. Even if it's a very small improvement I know the EMO is at least protecting the mRendu. As i listened to some familiar tracks, for kicks i switched inputs on my integrated amp back and forth between the mRendu and a Sonos Connect playing the same song, of course it was no contest. Is the EMO isolator worth $200 USD? The jury is still out, but really like that it DOES NOT need a power supply!

Fast forward to the next listening session (post dog walking), and my worst fear reared its ugly head, dropouts! Stuttering, stopping etc. Ugh! This is precisely the reason why I went with an all hard wired network years ago and never looked back. I generally have a strong network in my house so not sure what the problem was, but I don't care, i can't deal with one single dropout, so for now the wireless bridge is 'shelved'.

So rather than hooking back up the FMC/Fiber network, for now i'm using one of the ports on my Netgear GS105 switch that's been mounted in back of my console for some time now, feeding other devices like Apple TV, Sonos, Blu Ray etc.. This is not ideal but wanted a quick RELIABLE fix. The Netgear switch is connected by a length of 15 meters or so of BJC CAT6A cable running through the walls. Anyways, the sound is definitely different than the other two setups previously used. I'd say this is less bright, more laid back in general. I'm going to stick with it for a short time but plan on going back to some sort of wired iteration.

I'm thinking of trying the 'direct' connection method and network bridging mentioned in another thread, so using a direct connection between my MacMini and the microRendu. Again part of the challenge i have is the distance.

I will also try just a straight connection between the router, EMO and mRendu, so...Router > 15m CAT > EMO > .5m CAT > mRendu.

At some point I will be powering my router with a better LPSU or that Voltcraft unit or similar. I suppose i could do the same for the Netgear switch also but that won't be needed if i end up bypassing it ultimately.

Try placing the emo on the router side of the 15 meter cable run with the black side facing the microRendu.

Yes, the emo is passive so placing 15 meters of cable resistance before the transformer may reduce the signal strength in a way that is less then ideal.

I have a Baaske isolation transformer between my modem and router. The cable feed is a huge source of crap that definitely impacts router performance.

Here is another cheaper isolation transformer from the same eBay seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-Is-250-Full-Isolation-Transformers-is250-/232086464180?hash=item36096e66b4 ?

Cornan, the Tripplite does not have a floating secondary, the B&K does. I own both. You want the B&K.

There is a ton of discussion on the AC isolation thread about these devices. Let's not repeat that here.

Thanks for the suggestion Imitche, actually I have two adapters in my drawer but still haven't figured a way how to connect the LPS-1 to the RUR as the USB cable is bulky and the chassis of the LPS-1 is wide. Will work on it tonight though

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Yeah, I see you may have to turn the RUR on its side. It's a very worthwhile enhancement here.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, now I'm tempted to buy one to try!

Rajiv,

Have you read about the car battery grounding box trick? Just run one cable from a device grounding lug to the negative terminal of a battery. I'm not even sure the battery needs to be charged.

There are "people that say" it achieves the same thing as a grounding box. I looked but can't find the article, but thought you may be interested. I've never tried it.

Larry

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Guys! I love jokes and do encourage you to post them, as long as you do not laugh at others expense. You might want to view the purpose of this thread ones more. Thanks! :)

Well Cornan, in the spirit of everything is possible what I proposed is based in physics. Here is a great explanation.  https://www.quantamagazine.org/20160428-entanglement-made-simple/ Given that the science is true, John is correct, it is an engineering problem to bring this to market.

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

BTW, Quanta magazine in general is interesting reading.

Jud, you are right. Quanta is amazing.  Look at the author of the article referenced above: Frank Wilczek, is a Nobel Prize-winning physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Quanta magazine comes from James Simon's foundation  https://www.simonsfoundation.org the mathematician turned hedge fund manager.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Have you guys seen this review of CAD grounding products? I'm guessing these are very expensive! http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/stand-your-ground

I just got back from an extended weekend getaway to Napa and San Francisco - ah the joys of empty nesting! - and waiting on my doorstep this morning were the Aucharm grounding boxes! These are the "Special Edition" boxes, where the tourmaline is infused with 白酒.

Just kidding. 9_9

It'll take me a couple of days to get to them, but will post impressions ASAP.

Cool, dual use as grounding and paint stripping boxes!

8 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

There is also a limit to how short you want the DC cable as you don't want the power supply sitting too close to the unit you want to power

This really depends on the situation.  There are times where the shortest cable possible is best. With my lps-1 to Adnaco USB box power, SQ was hugely improved with a 1 inch male to male adapter.  I was very surprised.