IGNORED

< $1k DAC Recommendation for Rogue Audio Sphinx

Upgraded from a PS Audio Sprout to the Rogue Audio Sphinx powering my KEF LS50s. Now a need a DAC. Running a DragonFly Black in the interim.

Thinking of the Schitt BiFrost Multibit, but am also considering MQA depending on how that shakes out.

Thoughts?

I think it's too early to tell if MQA will be widely adopted, so I'm basing my recommendations on the sub $1K price point.

Here's a short list of DACs that I think are worth listening to

Arcam irDAC-II - Based on their flagship DAC. I've always found Arcam's DACs to be musical and a pleasure to listen to.

M2Tech EVO DAC Two or EVO DAC Two Plus - You can always add a word clock generator and/or an upgraded power supply at a later time. Very few, if any, DACs offer this type of upgradability these prices.

Musical Fidelity MX DAC - A neutral DAC that's a sold performer and does everything well.

Schiit Gungnir - I haven't heard this model, but it's fairly well regarded.

Ciamara is the trusted leader in high end audio. We deliver the tailored advice and service of the best local stereo shops, but with a dynamic, interactive experience that is only possible on the Web. For more details, we invite you to visit us at ciamara.com

I think it's too early to tell if MQA will be widely adopted, so I'm basing my recommendations on the sub $1K price point.

Here's a short list of DACs that I think are worth listening to

Arcam irDAC-II - Based on their flagship DAC. I've always found Arcam's DACs to be musical and a pleasure to listen to.

M2Tech EVO DAC Two or EVO DAC Two Plus - You can always add a word clock generator and/or an upgraded power supply at a later time. Very few, if any, DACs offer this type of upgradability these prices.

Musical Fidelity MX DAC - A neutral DAC that's a sold performer and does everything well.

Schiit Gungnir - I haven't heard this model, but it's fairly well regarded.

WhatHiFi, whose reviews I have learned to trust, downgraded the irDAC II, saying it wasn't quite as nice as the original. If you can find a used irDAC original, it's a very nice piece. I like mine a lot, very lively and musical, with lots of inputs to make it a very good system-wide hub.

I just picked up a used but very mint Arcam irDAC for less than $400, it is very well built, feels solid and even comes with a remote. Listening it to now, so far I'm liking it very much so far. I was specifically looking for the characteristics this DAC has been said to have from reviewers and owners alike.

I didn't need the bluetooth or the headphone jack on the newer model and at the price I paid it was well worth the try.

Teac UD 501 @ $849

Emotiva Stealth DC-1 @ $499

You prefer the TEAC 501 to the 503 that replaced it?

The Emotiva looks very interesting, and your reputation makes this recommendation strong, thanks. Can you speak to why you like the Emotiva over some newer DACs?

You prefer the TEAC 501 to the 503 that replaced it?

The Emotiva looks very interesting, and your reputation makes this recommendation strong, thanks. Can you speak to why you like the Emotiva over some newer DACs?

No, I would get the 503.

The Emotiva is a well built unit. Discreet power supply. Good HP AMP, remote control. There are a lot of new DAC's. You should attempt to demo some of the units you want.

I like the Emotiva because it's simply transparent, has a really good warranty, and they are a no BS operation.