IGNORED

Mac mini DC-Conversion / Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK)

Yep, ext psu & fan control - & ssd - make a big difference to a macmini.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Which external PSU are you guys using? Alex recommends the their JS-2 but that's way out of my price range, any alternatives?

You could use a less expensive HD Plex and it will improve upon the stock switching PSU of the Mac Mini but it won't be anywhere in the league of the finest PSUs. Nonetheless, it's a good place to start.

@romaz

When I asked Alex about using a JS-2 to power my mac mini, je mentioned that since I use a mRendu, there would be no benefit.

Following your suggestion to bridging (which I use very successfully) my thinking is that the mac mini now plays an even more important role in my system. Plus, I am thinking about eliminating the external power supply of my HD, and go "bus-powered", either FW or TB (but then I would switch to the latest mini with 2 TB ports.

Long story short, the mini would be again more critical in my system.

Do you believe there are benefits to a JS-2 setup even when using a mRendu?

Thanks - and marksas3, thanks for starting the thread.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

@romaz

When I asked Alex about using a JS-2 to power my mac mini, je mentioned that since I use a mRendu, there would be no benefit.

Following your suggestion to bridging (which I use very successfully) my thinking is that the mac mini now plays an even more important role in my system. Plus, I am thinking about eliminating the external power supply of my HD, and go "bus-powered", either FW or TB (but then I would switch to the latest mini with 2 TB ports.

Long story short, the mini would be again more critical in my system.

Do you believe there are benefits to a JS-2 setup even when using a mRendu?

Thanks - and marksas3, thanks for starting the thread.

Yes, I do. As you've experienced, this direct connection is now even more revealing of the quality of your source. I have connected my Paul Hynes PSU to my Mac Mini and with my sMS-200, the improvement is VERY noticeable. I believe you will similarly notice the improvement with your mRendu should you decide to power your Mac Mini with the JS2.

Hi

I am using a Rednet 16 with ethernet directly to my 2012 mini. I highly recommend using JS-2!

My experience copied from the UpTone sponsor tread:

"I just upgraded my 2011 mini 8 gb ram, 2.0 qhz i7 with all the UpTone goodies (MMF and JS-2) to a 2012 16 gb ram, 2.6 ghz i7 - the Holly Grail of minis . I also use a FMC (fiberethernet) between my mini and Rednet 16 R.

Fist of there is a big difference using MMF and JS-2 even when using ethernet / FMC compared to a original mini with original power supply. The original mini sounds "greyish" / less dynamic than the UpTone upgraded mini.

It was easy to compare as I boot with a SD card. It took less than 10 sec to hear the 2011 mini with UpTone goodies was better than a original 2012 mini with SD boot and ethernet to Rednet 16 R.

The same night I moved the MMF and JS-2 over to my 2012! and the 2012 mini took sq a notch further.

I highly recommend the MMF/JS-2 even when you are using ethernet. I does make a big difference."

Tommy

Hi

I am using a Rednet 16 with ethernet directly to my 2012 mini. I highly recommend using JS-2!

My experience copied from the UpTone sponsor tread:

"I just upgraded my 2011 mini 8 gb ram, 2.0 qhz i7 with all the UpTone goodies (MMF and JS-2) to a 2012 16 gb ram, 2.6 ghz i7 - the Holly Grail of minis . I also use a FMC (fiberethernet) between my mini and Rednet 16 R.

Fist of there is a big difference using MMF and JS-2 even when using ethernet / FMC compared to a original mini with original power supply. The original mini sounds "greyish" / less dynamic than the UpTone upgraded mini.

It was easy to compare as I boot with a SD card. It took less than 10 sec to hear the 2011 mini with UpTone goodies was better than a original 2012 mini with SD boot and ethernet to Rednet 16 R.

The same night I moved the MMF and JS-2 over to my 2012! and the 2012 mini took sq a notch further.

I highly recommend the MMF/JS-2 even when you are using ethernet. I does make a big difference."

Tommy

Thanks for the input Tommy. There seems to be enough proof in pudding that the MMK/JS-2 combo really makes a difference.

Couple questions/concerns you and or other members....

-is your FMC/Fiber network connected to your router?

- Are you listening primarily to music stored locally or streamed?

At the moment I'm not using the bridged network direct connection method to my microrendu so I'm a little skeptical of the improvements. I'm also using FMC's & Fiber (15 m) from router to rendu.

Is the power upgrade improvement noticeable whether the music is locally stored or streamed from TIDAL? I use Roon Core on the Mini.