IGNORED

Just received: M2Tech Hiface USB interface

The HiFace is not so much a reclocker as an emitter. A reclocker takes a signal that has timing information embedded, extracts that timing, cleans it up, and then recreates a signal with improved embedded timing. The USB signal has no timing information embedded until it is converted to spdif or i2s. Thus, the HiFace doesn't reclock, it is creating a lower jitter signal at the first instance of embedding timing information.

After several days of testing, I can't help but be amazed by the value of this product. In the context of my system, I seem to be hearing more treble air and more refined layering of instruments... particularly with naturally recorded Chesky label cymbals (the cymbals are playing in the hall rather than sounding like smeared sizzle). ... with Amarra OFF. It's subtle but meaningful SO I am beginning to wonder if it is psychologically induced.

Can anybody with Hiface/Amarra validate the advantage of a Hiface w/o Amarra on iTunes in their own setup?

Whatever it is, the Hiface seems to reduce the quality gap between using an Amarra or not. Perhaps it's the software that is installed with the hiFace that does this. BTW I only did serious comparisons at 16/44.

Kamil

Mr. C. So many terms to learn. Reclock, dejitter, emitter. It's kind of confusing. So would a reclocker after an emitter make sense?

I find it interesting that one user of the Bryston BDA which has dejitter technology in it, and I assume for USB input just like the other inputs, finds an improvement with the hiface. I thought once jitter is reduced to a certain point, there is no audible benefits to even less jitter. I do not have the specs on how much the BDA reduces jitter, to what level, so maybe my comment isn't valid.

It's been mentioned many times on this discussion board over the last couple of days that async makes so much more sense. I wish some of these dac's out today, like the BDA from Bryston or the MHDT Havana, had firewire. Surely it can't cost that much to add firewire to the BDA. Just take one of the 8 inputs the Bryston has an make one a firewire.

Bryan

Dedicated 240V balanced power, Torus RM20-BAL. Mac Mini/Ayre QB-9. LSA Group Signature integrated. Eminent Tech LFT8B speakers. Real Trap and GIK bass traps.

@kamil

I was interested in this facet of the HiFace because it apparently bypasses some conversions in the OSX audio stack.

@bmckenney

yes, a reclocker after an emitter makes sense. Essentially all reclockers go after emitters. I use emitter to mean the device that converts data to a signal with embedded timing. In asynchronous usb, the audio file is transfered in little chunks of data to the usb receiver in the dac which then converts (emits) it to I2S within the dac. SPDIF requires a conversion from data (ie. what is on your harddisk) before the dac and then a re-conversion to I2S in the dac all of which affects the timing.

So far the install for me using OSX 10.6/Macbok 2.1Ghz Intel Core 2Duo is straightforward and works with iTunes. I installed on a fresh user account with only iTunes running and have experienced no problems.

If you are considering buying other software (such as Amarra, which seems to be able to coexist BTW), get the Hiface first and evaluate the Amarra only after that. No harm in Amarra. Just that Hiface is cheaper and not necessarily worse. Caveat: so far I have only really worked on Aiff 16/44 files since that is where most of my music collection exists.

Edit: Pretty responsive in terms of speedy updates too! New version announced: 1.03.2

Fixed crash due to surprise removal

Removed click during playback with OSX 10.6

Kamil

Any additional inputs regarding my post?

"I only see good comments about Hiface. Did anyone here compare Hiface with Lynx AES16? I wonder if the difference in price justifies going to Lynx".

I am curious to see what the group thinks to decide my purchase.

Cheers,

Eduardo

Pure Music -> Itunes -> Mac mini -> hiFace -> Berkeley Alpha DAC -> MBL 7006 -> Dynaudio C1[br]www.computeraudio.com.br

I'm new to computer audio, and I'm hoping someone can help me get my new Hiface to work. I have it connected from a usb port on my computer to my DAC. I'm using Windows 7 32-bit and Windows Media Center - I know, I know, but I find it easier, as does the family (the computer also serves as a second home theater, performing TV and DVD duties).

Anyway, the M2Tech driver appeared to install properly, and the Hiface now appears properly in Device Manager. But I still have a red cross through the volume icon in the taskbar, and the message 'No Audio Output Device is installed'. No devices to select are listed in the audio options in the Control Panel, and there doesn't appear to be any way to force it to use the Hiface as an audio device.

What have I done wrong? I'm hoping this will be easy to fix.

Hello,

I have been testing the Hiface driver for Mac, version 1.0.3.2, with different players (Cog, Play, Itunes, Amarra) and there is a persistent "click" every 10 to 20 seconds (more or less) during playback.

Does anybody experienced the same problem ?, it is really anoying !! (it will eventually crash my tweeters...)

On a more juicy side, I must say that in my setup, there is no appreciable difference in quility while playing with the "famous" Amarra and the humble "Cog". The Hiface is so good in High-res reproduction that the player you use seems to be less relevant.

best

Pepe

I have the same problem on a 2.4GHz C2D MacBook Pro, "vinyl-like" clicks and pops all the time. I tried to run the laptop/DAC on battery, no help. It seems to me that it's related to CPU usage, but even on very low load (7-8%). Drop an email to their info@... address to let them know about the problem, I'll do too.

? MBP ? M2Tech hiFace ? Heed Q-PSU/Dactilus 2 ? Heed CanAmp ? Sennheiser HD650

When I first used HiFace driver 1.0.2 for Windows with FooBar under Boot Camp I did notice some strange pops & pauses at times.

However, since the Mac drivers came out (now v 1.0.3.2) and I've been using iTunes I have not had any problems except a short pause in the music on two occasions in hours of listening. Those pauses were most likely due to other traffic on the home network.

I have a current model 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz with OS X 10.6.2. I have had a mini-toslink connector in the audio out all the time I have been using the HiFace, but today I took that out just to see whether it made any difference.

The only suggestions I can give is that may be there is some other background process on your Mac that is causing the sounds, or possibly a faulty HiFace unit. Also I would disconnect any other USB devices just to make sure they are not causing the problem.

I have my HiFace connected directly to one of the 2 MacBook Pro USB sockets. It is a tight squeeze, but I'm using a powered Logitech USB hub on the other socket and that doesn't seem to cause any problems. That is one thing I really like about the HiFace is that it is plugs directly into the USB sockets, so USB cables don't play a part.

In my earlier post I failed to mention that I have compared the HiFace with digital out from the MacBook Pro to my NaimUnity DAC using a mini-toslink to toslink adapter. The HiFace is far superior, with much more space around the instruments. Everything sounds more real.

Another thing I really like about the HiFace with the Mac is that it works for all programs. For example, I can use it for EyeTV sound.

My limited experience with the HiFace under Windows 7/Boot Camp was that I could only get it working when playing tracks with FooBar, and that was a bit "patchy". The interface with the Mac seems much better … just select the device under sound output preferences.

bj10au Sydney Australia[br]Macbook Pro & iMac, (with Windows 7 under Boot Camp), M2Tech hiFace, NaimUniti, Neat Motive 2, Linn LP12, Naim Stageline

Well, mixed results so far.

Got my hiFace today. Plugged it into my G5 (10.5.8) and loaded the newest 1.0.3 drivers. And that's about as far as I got, because it never appeared as an option in my System Preferences >> Sound >> Output, despite a couple of restarts, moving the hiFace through every USB input on the box as well as reloading the software, downgrading the software to 1.0.1 and finally reloading the newest drivers again with a restart for good measure.

By contrast, I plugged it into my MacBook Pro, loaded the latest drivers, and it immediately popped up in System Preferences >> Sound >> Output as soon as the driver finished installing.

I have an email into the M2Tech guys asking WTF. Anyway ....

Like I said, I had it up and running with my Pro. I plugged into a non-keyboard-used high speed USB port and connected my iTunes library via FW800. S/PDIF cable is a DH Labs (6m!) job I got special to run to the old G5 (nice cable, BTW).

Initial listening impressions lead me to believe that OOTB, the hiFace is at least as good as USB. But if it is better, it's not much. Of course, my cable is brand spanking new as is the hiFace, so neither have gone through any break in whatsoever.

I did notice some vinyl-esque pops and snaps, especially at the beginning of a newly selected track, but these seemed to subside (but not vanish) as the unit "warmed up" -- that is, after 10-15mins of use.

Verdict so far? "Whatever."

Two things -- 1, it has to work on my G5 or at the very least its going into a drawer; 2, RE: those snap, crackle & pops -- it has to sound better than my turntable playing vintage era discs, or [see #1].

So far, not encouraging.

I had the same problem with mine when I got it, I run W7 x64 and when I installed it everything went smooth and it said it was ready to be used. Next, I went to my software program (Media Monkey) and I use Kernel Streaming as my output and went to configure to choose the device to output and nothing shows up to select.

I struggled with this same thing for days and had emails to M2Tech and they said I did everything right and they didn't know what to tell me. For tickles and giggles even though there was nothing to select as an output device I just left it. I chose Kernel streaming as the output and hit play and it worked.

Give it a try and it might work like it did for me for me even though there's no device to select; it's there, granted the drivers installed correctly. I know it's weird and I don't know why it doesn't show up but if you do enough searching you will find that we are not the only ones that this happened to.

Good luck and as far as my experience goes, it IS FAR better than standard USB (haven't heard asynch USB like Ayre or Wavelength). Best $150 I ever spent!!!! Period!

Jeff

Has any of you with troubles with "clicking" with your HiFace tried to connect it via a powered USB hub - maybe there is an issue with the amount of power it's drawing from your USB port.

I've no idea if this is the case but may be worth trying.

Eloise

PS. only connect the HiFace to the hub, not any other device.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have a Mac Mini running 10.6 with Amarra and HiFace drivers 1.03.2 - feeding a Lavry DA10. The clicking seems to being after listening to several tracks and then continues. Just like vinyl :)

If I stop Amarra or iTunes and then restart, several more tracks tend to be clear. This leads me to suspect that the M2Tech folks still have a little more work to do on the driver.

That said, awesome product.

Richard

"Has anyone tried Hiface with Belkin Network USB Hub ? Or any other wireless USB hub? There about 10 feet between my laptop and the DAC. Wireless seems a neat solution."

I've tried the Belkin hub with a usb dac. It worked on my XP partition, but not on my OSX partition. It had some issues with ASIO4ALL in the XP side with Foobar and with cMP.

Scot,

Not sure this is what I'm seeing. No obvious clicks when I start / stop. More background clicks starting after a couple of tracks in.

I'm not sure how one determines whether a unit is an early one with old microcode or a later version as there is no S/N

Cheers

Richard