IGNORED

Just received: M2Tech Hiface USB interface

Hi Steve,

"changing songs" means either forwarding to the next song or automatically when one song ends and the next begins in a playlist

Clicking only appears in those cases. Not during playin a song only when forwarding...

Maybe anyone did encounter "clicking" and solved it?! How?

Regards,

Littlesloth

I just got the new EVO (and Hiface before) and there is still the same clicking between tracks. I tested the following configuration and slowly loose confidence that M2Tech will be able to solve it. They replied that it may come from some players or PC types, but I tested any configuration and still clicking:

Test Summary/Failure description

Symptom: Clicking when changing tracks (not within the track) only with KS& ASIO (not DS directsound)

Tested configurations:

Netbook (Windows 7 Starter, Dell Mini Inspiron 1012, Atom N450, 1.66GHz)

PC Desktop (XP Pro, Quadcore 4x3.4GHz)

Hiface / EVO (no difference in regard of clicking)

Hiface driver 1.0.3.140 & 1.0.3.141 (no big difference in regard of clicking)

Sample rates/resolution 44.1, 48, 96kHz, 16, 24, 32 bit (no difference in regard of clicking)

Mode: KS kernel streaming & ASIO (no difference in regard of clicking), DS direct sound worked fine

Foobar 1.0.2.1 & 1.0.3 , Media Monkey (no difference in regard of clicking)

Buffer length: 50ms....3000ms (no difference in regard of clicking)

DAC1: Cambridge DAC Magic II

DAC2: Harman Kardon AVR (no difference in regard of clicking via Hiface, direct to PC>DAC works)

1) Clicking: Netbook > Foobar > KS_Hiface > coax > DAC1

2) Clicking: Netbook > Foobar > ASIO_Hiface > coax > DAC1

3) Clicking: Netbook > Mediamonkey > ASIO_Hiface > coax > DAC1

4) OK: Netbook > Foobar > DS_Hiface > coax > DAC1

5) OK: Netbook > Foobar > KS_DACMagic direct > coax > DAC1

6) Clicking: Netbook > Foobar > KS_Hiface > coax > DAC2

7) Clicking: PC > Foobar > KS_Hiface > coax > DAC1

I think I tried almost any combination and replaced any component in the chain, so definitely the problem results from Hiface / EVO.

No other device (Roland Cakewalk UA 25EX, Behringer UCA 202, Cakewalk UA 1G, M-Audio Transit USB, ...) I tested till now showed that effect (all worked OK), so please try to fix that issue. In case you like me to test any configuration I did not test please let me know.

Littlesloth

Hi Littlesloth,

What is the file format of your music?

I have the same problem as you, but only with mp3 or flac files. My music library is all in wav and with wav files there are no clicks between tracks, so I never try to solve the problem since I only have a few mp3s.

My setup is: WinXP > foobar2K > KS_Hiface > coax > JBL LSR4328 monitors

Maybe this helps.

Regards,

GP

it looks like I found a mitigation measure for clicking/ticking.

Also many other seem to have the same problems: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5956&page=4

I found a (partly satisfying) solution when settin KS to 16bit. Clicking is only when playing 24/32 bit.

It doesn't matter what resolution the music has (16bit/24bit)

=>but that means I loose resolution when playing 24bit music.

Hope that helps. Any idea what could be the reason?

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine picked up a new Hiface recently. He doesn't need it right now which has given me the opportunity to try it out. I have had it now for several weeks connected between my Mac Mini (10.6.4 and Amarra) and my Benchmark Dac/Pre. I have not encountered any clicking issues, or any negative issues with it. I do find it better than the standard USB input on my Benchmark. Yesterday I ordered the Halide Bridge for a comparison.

Chris found the Bridge much better than the Hiface and said the Hiface was like "cotten" in his ears. To be honest, I don't find the Hiface that way at all, but if things can get even better for just a bit more cost, I feel why not give it a try.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, jkeny proposed this idea here and elsewhere, and some people have had good results. The HiFace has an output voltage that is considerably higher than the SPDIF spec, so it makes sense that this would be worth a try.

I put a little document together to show how we could roll our own T-pad attenuators. I am an EE school dropout I confess, but I do have a HiFace on its way from Mutine and if its output is too hot for the DAC circuitry in my Denon AVR I will likely give this a try.

Feedback on the doc would be welcomed.

Cheers,

Ross

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

• 3 months later...

Mr. Kenny is a boutique computer audiophile manufacturer. Which, essentially, all computer audiophile manufacturers are when compared to behemoths such as Sony and Samsung. Assuming, of course, that you're willing to throw any behemoth into the computer audiophile manufacturer bucket. :-)

Since no(?) computer audiophile manufacturers literally manufacture each and every component in their products from raw materials, the source of the components is entirely irrelevant!

Mr. Kenny sources a bunch of his components from M2Tech, albeit in assembled form. So what?

His product should be judged on its own merits, which should be based on the same details as every other product, including, but not necessarily limited to:

1) Price

2) Performance

3) Warranty

4) Build quality

5) Reputation

6) Service & support

If Computer Audiophile were to write a review, it would of course be entitled (some might say obligated) to point out the boutique nature of the manufacturer.

But I find it very difficult to understand why Mr. Bedworth would suggest that he should not review a product from such a manufacturer.

After all, essentially all computer audiophile manufacturers are private companies, which means that their ability to create, support, and warranty their products is always fundamentally unknown in a financial sense. Even if they are public, they can change directions and policy without notice.

I've purchased, but not yet received, a Kenny Mk II modified HiFace. Before I did I spent a few hours Googling the product, and reading the threads about the product. I paid very close attention to Mr. Kenny's interactions with actual and potential customers, and the record is clear.

Mr. Kenny is a small audiophile manufacturer, who's products appear to delight his customers.

To suggest that he is in some way not credible enough for Computer Audiophile to review his products, or that by doing so Computer Audiophile would be sullying its reputation or taking a risk in some way, is in itself *not credible*.

It's no more complex than that.

That said, Computer Audiophile is a private enterprise. It has every right to choose which products to review, and has no obligation to review anything it doesn't choose to. If we, the readers of Computer Audiophile want a review, we should simply ask for it. It'll either be reviewed or not, and we'll move on from there.

If it were to become clear that the only way to get reviewed is to pay-to-play for a subscription, or to buy advertising, which I'm absolutely not suggesting is the case, then readers would adjust their opinions accordingly.

P.S. I'll post a review when I receive the unit.

Shunyata Power -> 2011 Mac Mini -> OYAIDE NEO d+ FireWire -> Weiss DAC 202 -> Dual Mono McIntosh 2102 -> 2x Double Shotgun Clear Day Cables -> B&W 803D

"That said, Computer Audiophile is a private enterprise. It has every right to choose which products to review, and has no obligation to review anything it doesn't choose to. If we, the readers of Computer Audiophile want a review, we should simply ask for it. It'll either be reviewed or not, and we'll move on from there.

If it were to become clear that the only way to get reviewed is to pay-to-play for a subscription, or to buy advertising, which I'm absolutely not suggesting is the case, then readers would adjust their opinions accordingly."

Hi tmornini - First paragraph is well said.

Second paragraph is also well said. Computer Audiophile readers are smart and would see through any funny business in a heartbeat. They'd soon depart for greener pastures if pay-to-play was the rule around here.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Are there alternate Mac drivers that can be used for the hiface?

I'm currently using an m2tech hiface with a mac mini plugged into a PS audio DLIII. I've compared the hiface back to back with a mini silflex optical glass cable going directly to the dac, and to my ears, there is no comparison. The Hiface sounds significantly better. I would like to use the hiface as my primary sound device on the mac mini, but I can't use it for netflix or hulu, etc. There is lip syncing problems with the Mac drivers and the audio lags behind the video. It is a little bit of an inconvenience to switch back to optical on the dac and the computer settings when watching a movie.

Does anyone know of alternative drivers that would work with the hiface? Also, do other asynch usb dacs that are capable of 24/192 have the same issue? For example, does the Wyred dac when using usb have the same lip syncing problems when used for video? I never had lipsync problems when using the hiface with a windows 7 htpc for music and movies.

Thanks

Hello:

This is my first post to this site, but have been reading it extensively for the last month + as I set up my home audio headphone system.

I wanted to go with a computer based music system for its convenience.

I did a lot of reading on headphones, amps, DACs and sources and the following system is what I settled on:

MacMini (late 2009, I had this)>trying out Amarra, Fidelia, and Pure Music players>JK modded M2tech HiFace, with attenuators (one 15 and one 3)>bluejeans BNC cable>Matrix Mini-i DAC (I have the Matrix Mini-i Blue Label edition on order)>Balanced output>Woo Audio WA22 amp>Balanced cables to HD 650 headphones (have LCD-2's on order).

I can say without reservations, that the JK Modded M2Tech makes a significant improvement to the sound compared to the optical out via the MacMini. Also the attenuators improve the sound even further by taking away the "harshness" from the highs reducing the listener fatigue. How the JK modded HiFace compares to the unmodded M2Tech unit I cannot say, as I ordered the modded one directly from John Kenny and have never heard the unmodded one. His service and communications were excellent and would have no reservations recommending his product.

I was having some crashing issues when "hot plugging/unplugging" the JK HiFace, but have since left my MacMini on at all times and not unplugged the HiFace, this seems to have resolved the crashing (my mini is strickly a music server, this could be an issue if you were using your computer for other uses however).

WRT the music players I use, they all work with the JK HiFace and support up to 24/192 sample rates with no issues (my Matrix DAC supports 24/192 also) and can play these with no problems.

I have been trying out all the music players to see which I like the best.

Soundwise, Amarra is my favourite, followed closely by Fidelia. Then Decibel and PureMusic. They all seem to be an improvement over iTunes directly.

Fidelia's interface is the one I like the best and has given me the least problems in terms of stability. the only drawback I have with it, is that it does not keep the playcount in iTunes when I play songs with it. I am using a modified Smart Playlist to randomly play tracks from my music collection using this guide located here:

http://equivocality.com/2011/01/31/the-ultimate-smart-itunes-playlist/

I really like how this randomizes my music and allows me to listen to my favourites more frequently. This works great with Amarra's ghosting of iTunes in Cached mode (and works with the remote with the iPad and iPhone) and sounds terrific to boot. If they would only iron out some of their bugs in the software, I would be very happy with it. Their pricing seems to be a bit out of line, but if it worked perfectly with all the features it currently has (possibly adding Hog mode), I would be willing to shell out for the Mini version (the full version is still way overpriced for what it offers IMO).

I am extremely happy with the sound of my system, and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the modded Matrix Mini-i and LCD-2's to use with my setup. I don't think I will be needing to up-grade for a long time after that and can start enjoying my music again.

Hope this has been helpful to anyone considering the JK modded HiFace.

Gaetano

MacMini>iTunes Lossless/Fedilia>Jkenny Modded M2Tech HiFace>Matrix Mini-i Balanced output>Woo Audio WA-22>HD650 (LCD-2 on order).[br]Tubes used Sophia Princess 274B, Tung sol 5998\'s, ShuGuang TREASURE Tubes CV181-Z

I am in the process of getting a JK Hiface but am a bit worried about the lipsync problem when playing movies etc. Does anyone know if something is in the pipeline to fix the issue. For example my WFS DAC doesn't have this problem and it does async as well.

If no one knows then I may contact M2Tech to get the skinny.

Thanks

Bill

Hi All, new guy ,1st post-Had my hiface for about 8 months -sounds great Desktop XP -using Foobar, KS

My problem- unplugged all to move computer desk-plugged everything back in -Hiface had disappeared from audio devices window - have tried app. 50 times to reinstall = keep getting - Cannot install device - Data invalid -have tried reinstalling drivers from supplied minidisk-downloading drivers from M2 site tried all 6 USB slots - nothing Nada Zip -same thing - Data invalid. Took Hiface to 2 different friends computers Installed fine on both!!!

WTF!!! ANY ideas, anyone???

Thanks, Michael...

Hey all.

I've been listening to my JK Mk II HiFace for over a week now, so I wanted to report back.

I ordered the device for two reasons:

1) I "upgraded" to a MacBook Air and lost my optical digital port

2) I wanted to play 176/24 and 192/24 through my system

3) The reviews of the JK Mk II were uniform in their praise

The package was shipped quickly, and I concur with the reports elsewhere: all communications with Mr. Kenny were quick and accurate.

I ordered the power supply and attenuators he suggested. All dealings with those companies he recommends was as simple and painless as dealing with Mr. Kenny himself.

The package arrived in a little over 2 weeks. The wait was a bit disconcerting: the shipping method used had online tracking, but was not updated once the package left its home country until the time it was delivered, i.e. it was tracked point-by-point out of it's country of origin, but them was bulk updated once it was delivered to me. Frustrating! I'd recommend that Mr. Kenny use a different shipper in the future.

The package arrived in good condition, but the packaging was NOT confidence inspiring. It was a TINY box, hand-cut to allow the USB connector to fit through(!) the side of the box where it was covered with a piece of plastic padding which was secured to the box with tape.

The unit was, however, in perfectly good and working condition.

No instructions came with the unit. Not many are required, but it was entirely unclear whether the blue-light meant the unit was charging, or operating. This was made particularly unclear by the upside-down (IMNSHO) switch that places the unit into charging mode when it is in the up position, and into operating mode when it is in the down position. Call me provincial, but I expect things to turn on when you the switch is thrown UP. :-)

The unit was not recognized when plugged in. I visited M2Tech's website, downloaded the driver, plugged the unit in, turned it on, flipped the switch once or twice, and BOOM, kernel panic on my Mac.

I had heard about a lot of kernel panics, but I thought that they were resolved at this point. Definitely not, my Mac has crashed several times and each time was clearly correlated to plug/unplug and/or switch on/off operations on the unit.

I'm not 100% sure, but it *seems* like making sure the unit is powered "up" (switch down, light on) before it's plugged or unplugged. One thing is certain: I've never used a USB device that was so finicky.

I've never used the BNC input on my Bryston BDA-1, so I didn't have the cable I needed. Finding a BNC cable on a weekend day proved a bit tricky, but my son saved the day by recommending Guitar Center. They had a 10 ft cable for $6.50 USD. Clearly a HiFi cable! :-)

I spent an hour or so trying different attenuator combinations. I ended up with this layout:

MacBook Air -> HiFace Mk II -> 6 dB attenuator -> cable -> 10 dB attentuator -> BDA-1

The IMMEDIATELY obvious change was BASS. Where did the bass come from? It's difficult for me to understand how high-frequency jitter in the digital domain could possibly affect low frequency analog output. Yet, just as everyone said, it did. For years I left my treble knob down a bit, and bass up a bit more. With the HiFace Mk II and attenuators in place, the unit sounded better with both knobs nearly dead center. Anything that lets me "modify" the signal less make me happy, though I'm not so much of a purist to use what means I have to get the sound that I want to listen to.

I've listened to a lot of music since I've received it. The sound is wonderful, and the unit works well once you get used to the quirks. More air and space, instruments sound more natural, bigger yet more precise soundstage, etc.

The improved clarity and detail caused me to listen a lot more than I typically do. Since receiving it, I'm averaging 3-4 hours a day of listening. And in doing so, it's caused me to recheck everything in my system, and do another round of what-if?

What if I block sidewall reflections? Pound a few nails and hang heavy blankets along the side walls. Improvement? YES! Much improved clarity and diction, particularly near the center. Also, far more convincing and pleasant reverb and decay.

What if I carefully adjust speaker location and toe-in with a laser measure? Wow, it's *hard* to get speakers the identical distance from side and rear walls, with identical toe-in, and perfectly level. But it's worth it! This is an amazingly simple and inexpensive upgrade, but it does take patience and perseverance! Again, more clarity, terrific improvements in resonant sounds. Also, a flatter and more realistic soundstage. It had, before, always sounded tilted: lower on the left and higher on the right. Now it's very flat and deep.

What if I remove my pre-amp and plug my DAC directly into my amps? WOW! Everything is sharper, faster, and again, more real sounding. Bass THUMPS and is very tight!

What if I use PureMusic, rather than iTunes? I wanted to make a change to the playback engine for a couple of reasons, but once my pre-amp was gone, I *needed* good volume control, and I wanted some control of tone again.

PureMusic provides a high quality dithered volume control, a high-quality up-sampling algorithm (including power-of-two only), automatic output rate switching (thank goodness, no more Audio Midi Setup!) and handles a number of pre-amp "functions" in the digital domain, including:

1) balance

2) equalization

3) volume

Overall, it's a bit quirky and doesn't operate as smoothly as iTunes, but combined with the HiFace Mk II and attenuators, room treatment, and speaker position, the package has elevated my system a couple of notches up the sound quality ladder, and at a very low price point compared to a new premium DAC, which I had been considering as well.

Now that I've taken these measures, I wonder how a premium DAC would sound in my system? :-)

This is never going to end!

Shunyata Power -> 2011 Mac Mini -> OYAIDE NEO d+ FireWire -> Weiss DAC 202 -> Dual Mono McIntosh 2102 -> 2x Double Shotgun Clear Day Cables -> B&W 803D

• 2 weeks later...

My Hiface was commissioned last night by myself and friend who bought the same unit. John configured everything for plug and play with the two LiFePO4 batteries. After reviewing the documentation he supplied the table gave everything we needed, and conveniently enough the outputs match the Buff2 DAC (however don't need MCLK). She fired up immediately after installing the driver. No issues whatsoever

There are some slight improvements to his documentation I have suggested and I believe these will be done shortly.

It was immediately obvious that the Hiface is distinctly better than the dddac.de USB-I2S convertor (which has a Guido Tent X02 reclocking 12Mhz into it) in several ways:

Far more transparent - I was able to detect many subtleties in recordings I had not heard before, like felt pedal action on a piano and other instrument interplay previously obscured

Improved tonality and expression - related to the above, better ebb and flow, more dynamic shadings and expression heard in voices, and instruments

Slightly better top end resolution - again related to transparency, and making shakers sound like shakers

Improved pace, rhythm, and timing - not expected, but very much welcomed.

And this was without the galvanic isolation included!

Conclusion - I expected I would struggle to hear the difference between the dddac.de USB-I2S converter and the Hiface. On the contrary, the differences are bleedingly obvious. This is perhaps the best bang for buck I've ever experienced in hifi - a truly amazing sonic improvement. Thankyou.

Cheers, Kendrick[br]Buff 2 DAC - Hiface USB-I2S with LiFePO4 battery supply

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

what's going on with this product?

is the current model different from the one two years ago?

what are the current competitors (v-link II, i suppose)....

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

given the pace at which this product area is developing that seems odd. ...one wonders if they are planning something new?...

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

I got the sense (from some vague info a while back) that they had moved on to bigger and better things. Maybe the Hiface was a way to make a name for themselves in the audiophile market, so that they could do so. Just some very speculative conjecture on my part.

-Chris