IGNORED

Just received: M2Tech Hiface USB interface

Marco just sent me drivers (HiFace 135105PPC) for my G5 running 10.5 -- and I have sound! Woohoo!

Too early to tell, but the sound is at least as good as my USB. And, bonus, this driver has no clicking or popping that the last did, so for those of you that are curious, this seems to be more corroboration that that issue, at least, is a driver issue.

That said, I am having another issue -- periodically it seems to be overwhelmed by continuous dropouts. Which makes it unlistenable. No idea why this happened. Or why it stopped.

FWIW, I have the hiFace on the USB High-Speed Bus, with nothing else connected to that bus and Spotlight is not searching any local drive.

"one customer out over fifty plus sales who has suffered from 'clicking'"

Is that total sales or sales to customers using the HiFace with Macs?

"If you are unhappy with your unit return it to me and I will issue you with a refund."

As I've said, I'm confident that they are working on it and respect their commitment. When it's not popping and clicking, the HiFace improves the sound I'm getting from my PS Audio DL III (with Cullen Level III mods).

@Socrates7

I had dropouts when I first set up my MacBook (long before the HiFace), and I got rid of them by doing a number of things at once (so I can't say what the issue was):

1. Erased the startup drive and reinstalled OS 10.6 with all updates from Apple.

2. Turned off WiFi (use Ethernet cable), Bluetooth, all sharing services (except screen sharing), Spotlight indexing (completely, no disks indexed), automatic update checking, time machine--I think that's about it.

3. Put all my music files on a freshly formatted external firewire drive.

4. Created a fresh iTunes library to index all those files on the external drive. The library folder (containing the index of the files) lives on my internal drive (the startup disk).

5. Only software aside from the base installation is a) the current beta version of Play from sbooth.org (sounds better than iTunes) and b) the HiFace driver.

6. I also keep an old USB drive plugged into the second USB port, but turned off. My bogus theory on this was akin to shorting caps that you can get for unused RCA plugs on a preamp.

7. As you've done, I checked under System Profiler to be sure that the DAC was using a USB port to itself (high speed).

I can't recall a dropout since I did all this stuff to make the MacBook a dedicated music server. I hope that helps (and doesn't launch you on a bunch of work that fails to solve your problem!).

The Hi-Face is an awesome device. I get very good SQ improvements on my IBM totally tweaked out laptop. I want to use BNC as my cable uses BNS ends.

No noise or clicks sounds here.

Liz

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

I am being bombarded with the all the posts on the new flavor of the month, the M2Tech Hiface USB interface. Okay, you’ve gotten my attention and here’s my question.

Since most of the UBS DACs are limited to 24/96, the Weiss INT202 and now the Hiface are stirring interest. Has anyone actually evaluated the Hiface with any of the excellent DACs on the CASH list? I am using these CASH DACs as a point of reference and I would like to know if the Hiface will improve or degrade the excellent sonics of these DACs, some of which are already 24/192 capable DACs though not via USB. Obviously those DACs on the CASH list that do not have digital coaxial input are not applicable.

I have just received a BNC equipped Hiface, should be testing it out this weekend, time permitting.

I use a Berkeley Alpha DAC with an Antelope DA.

I'm interested in the Weiss INT202, too, but want to see how the Hiface works; worst case it winds up in the bedroom system! There have been enough positive comments that I think it's promising, especially when coupled with the Antelope DA. The system has been in transition, and I've used SPDIF output from a Konnekt 8, but that doesn't support higher than 24/96.

I am not sure I would want to use the HiFace with any of the CASH DACs. That's why I asked the question using the CASH DACs as a point of reference since the CASH DACs have been thoroughly review here and the CA readers could relate whether the addition of the Hiface will improve or degrade the excellent sonics of these DACs.

I am familiar with the sound of several DACs on the CASH List. I was planning to buy the Berkeley Alpha DAC but I opted for the Korg MR2000s instead. The only CASH DACs that I own presently are the Benchmark and Devilsound DACs. The Korg has so impressed/spoiled me that I have little interest in buying any new DAC that does not have DSD64, DXD, or DSD128 capabilities. But if it is found that using the HiFace results in sonic improvements with the Berkeley and Benchmark DACs, then I might buy one for use with my Benchmark or Korg.

I thought the MR2000 was a standalone unit?

"2 tracks simultaneous playback/2 tracks simultaneous recording"

What is your source material?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

The Korg MR2000S is a standalone unit - it's all there studio recorder, ADC, music server, DAC, etc. that can interface with other components. Not only does it sound fantastic, it's dead quiet. The only limit I have run into is that the DSD64 and DSD128 files must be played back from an internal hard drive that is only 80GB. This only gives about 14.5 hours of playback for DSD128 files or 29 hours for DSD64 files. All files can be transferred to or from a computer via a USB interface so storage is not a real problem but transferring 80GB of music files via USB takes time. Unfortunately the Korg will not play digital files through the USB connection. You can however play all the PCM files from 16/44.1 to 24/192 through the coaxial digit inputs.

I have played back all my audio digital files through the Korg, whether RBCDs, Linn 24/88.2 downloads, RR HRx 24/192 files or Kent Poon's 24/192 Jazz album - both from the internal drive or from my computer music server. My source material for DSD64 has been digital downloads from 2L. My source material for DSD128 has primarily been LPs, though early on I did record a few SACDs through the analog inputs. As stated before the DSD files can only be played back from the internal drive.

I had considered the Korg units for my vinyl archiving rig, but I wanted to be able to monitor in real-time as I am using a digital RIAA implementation. And ultimately, I would have to convert down to PCM to do editing and RIAA. I decided that 32/64bit-float down to 24/96 would suffice and be an easier workflow.

I'm guessing that since a wav project must be selected to putput that format out the S/PDIF output, you can't choose a DSD format, and have 24/192 output at the S/PDIF output.

Thanks for the write-up, bet it sounds good.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

• 2 weeks later...

The review says:

"Specifications

Type: Digital to analog converter"

This can't be no D/A device can it?

Onkyo ND-S1 ?Reference 5 DSP/CA DacMagic ? SPL Auditor/LD MK IV SE ? balanced KRK RP10s/5[br]Cans: AKG K272 HD, Sennheiser HD555(Cardas), HD600(Cardas), ATH-M50

I also just received a HiFace connected to my Naim DAC. Initial impression after 5 minutes is good, very punchy, strangely seems a little bloated in the bass. No clicking problem. I'll reserve judgement until more listening is done.

There is absolutely no documentation/user instructions so I am flying blind.

I am playing with a Macbook Pro, and I change my sampling rate with Audio Midi.

After changing sampling rate, do I have to quit iTunes and restart? I used to have to do that with the Weiss DAC.

The lack of instructions is puzzling.

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

OK I checked, there is a readme in English and Italian for Windows platform only. I could not locate anything for Mac OSX

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

OK I checked, there is a readme in English and Italian for Windows platform only. I could not locate anything for Mac OSX

"After changing sampling rate, do I have to quit iTunes and restart? I used to have to do that with the Weiss DAC."

Yes you do. It is not based on what dac you are using, it is a function of midi and itunes. itunes looks at the midi setting when started and uses that setting for all the time you have itunes open. If you wish to change the sample rate to play a higher res file you must first EXIT itunes and then go to midi and change the sample rate. Then restart itunes and you will be able to play the file based on the sample rate you set in midi.

A good source of this procedure and a bit more info is available on Wavelength and Benchmark's site under Macintosh and audio wiki respectively.

Thanks for the very clear and helpful explanation.

Hopefully Apple will resolve this "issue" since both the OS and iTunes are made by them and they do not sync with each other. This should really be on their bug list.

I just received an email from Marco at M2tech hiface:

Hello,

thank you for your e-mail. Here follow the answers:

1) Actually, we still have some clicks, but it seems that this problem is related to old MacBook Pro models. We tested hiFace on several recent production MacBooks (manufactured in the second half of 2009) and they work great. Anyway, we're presently working to solve the issue on every Mac model.

2) You can use 192kHz at your convenience.

Best regards,

Marco Manunta

M2Tech Snc di Manunta & Marino

Via Giuntini, 63

I-56023 Navacchio di Cascina (PI)

Italy

www.m2tech.biz

Has anyone had problems with the new mini macs? And can someone confirm that there new macbook pro is click and pop free!

much appreciated