IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

12 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

For me, the answer is something like a question back to you:

What demographic are you mastering for?  You have some sense (I hope) of your target audience, and what they use to listen to your work.  Your published discography strongly suggests you're mastering for consumption on mass market consumer audio gear (earbuds, Bluetooth speakers, car stereos, etc.)

I don't master for a "demographic" ... I master for a balance of immediacy and timelessness that elevates the client and connects them with a series of individuals that make up the biggest possible audience for their vision.   I win people over to be open to their music.   It's not about targeting, it's about appealing to humanity.     Demographics is a marketing thing.   You seem to have no idea, how this all works.

If you're not mastering for the immersive audiophile experience,

Your definition of "immersive audiophile experience" is ONLY YOURS.   Many people are having that experience with my work. 

how can you say you really claim to know anything about audiophiles? 

I am an Audiophile, somewhat.  I know many.   There is no one definition.

You say what you're hearing when you master should be the goal of everyone listening to your work.  I'm saying, with due respect, that a significant amount of your output is antithetical to what I've come to know as the audiophile experience. 

When the artist and the label and I are happy, that is the definitive article.

You are NOT A PART OF THE CREATION PROCESS.  You are a consumer.  So consume as you wish, but  your opinions are nothing to the artists or to me.  We work to a vision, not your market perhaps.

You said yourself it's like cramming way too many people in a phone booth, and twiddling the knobs so that everyone there can be heard.  That's not really what audiophiles want.  Or at least, what I've come to know about audiophiles.

So you're saying Audiophiles are one thing?   I was seeing it that way too but this site opened me eyes, you're not all a bunch of dynamics snobs listening to 80s style perfection based recording styles and musics.

But getting back to the thread, we have suspicion about MQA in common, and we should focus on what we agree on.

Great !  MQA is a DRM con, and it sounds bad, and I am not Authenticating anything they are putting out, they are doing that.  So they are liars.

12 hours ago, rickca said:

Brian, how much time do you spend on a given mastering project?  I'm sure it varies widely, but what is typical and what is the range?  How do you manage so many concurrent clients? 

Really depends, I work to a standard of quality, then send it out, then revisions.   Could be 3 hours a record or on and off for 3 weeks.

Doing many projects is not harder, it's easier actually.   Staying fresh on each project is key.   I need to listen like it's the first time, and like it's 20 years from now.

5 minutes ago, synn said:

And you are an inconsequential part of the production line who, if replaced by a robot, none of your target consumers would miss.

your audience cares about Shania Twain and Marilyn Manson. They don’t care about Brian Lucey. They don’t even know Brian Lucey exists. 

Your delusions of grandeur are hilarious and sad simultaneously.

Again, you are clueless and hilariously fucking rude.   lol   YOU ARE NOTHING, and you want to be SOMETHING.  Consumer snob.  Nothing.

Robots can't do what a younger ME can do, nevermind what I do.

When mixes are great, and you can make the best work in the world better, you will always get compensated for that.  When mixes need love and you can exceed expectations you will get presents and thank you cards PLUS money for that.

Wake up man, you're an idiot.

7 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I am not saying you shouldn't call people out on stuff they are wrong about. What rubs me the wrong way is the how you generally seem to denigrate the consumer as if they don't matter. They do.

Of course they do, but I treat rude assholes like rude assholes.  Snobs like snobs.  

Some people here certainly invite negative responses from you but you are painting with a broader brush than is probably warranted.

I have tried to mitigate that, and I'm sorry if your'e offended.  I got a lot of hate here from the get go ... as many people saw a place to dump their DR issues on a pro.

Which artists do your work with? What albums have you worked on? I'd like to go out of my way to listen to some of them. 

www.magicgardenmastering.com

If you like sonic pictures and dynamics, try Chet Faker's record.    Lucinda Williams is not slammed although it's hotter than the 90s.  Liam G sold more vinyl in the UK than any record in 20 years.  You will see many options ...

6 minutes ago, synn said:

You’re a guy who painted a house that someone else designed and someone else built. 

Good for you. Your paint job sucks. Get over it.

Nice try.  You are projecting.  You are the one with less value than you think.  Projection 101.

If you heard the mixes and the masters, you would know why my clients include some of the best mixers and coolest artists in the world right now.  It's really not as pop as some want to make it.  Pop is usually more "cookie cutter" than my work and my clients work.  But even them I would never use the term.  It's just fucking rude. 

I respect all artists

I don't respect ANY SNOBS who are full of themselves..

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Brian,

A question for you.

I noticed that the 24/44.1 version of Shania's recent album is less compressed than the CD version.

Was the decision to make the CD version more compressed your decision or was it made by the label?

01. Swingin' With My Eyes Closed.flac_report.png

1 Swingin' With My Eyes Closed.flac_report.png

You bought a CD?  And the 24 is from where?

They are the same files here, less 8 bits.

17 minutes ago, synn said:

“Projection “ does not mean what you think it means. 

But it by all means, carry on.

Actually it does, exactly.

You are projecting on me your own inner hate,  You are worthless and powerless in an arena where you want power and value.  So you try and put me down and short change my real power in an arena where I am a part of the process, in ways you don't want to value ... as that adds to your shame and sense of powerlessness. 

You are projecting.  Super easy to see.