IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Thank you. We're getting closer to having something to discuss.

That is just part of the War on Science. The very highly paid PR firms that the tobacco industry hired was re-hired by the Oil&Gas industry to attack scientists. Add in the attacks by the chemical industry on scientists (e.g. Monsanto's attacks on Dr. Tyrone Hayes*) and some others, and there you are.

* A Valuable Reputation - The New Yorker

reverse engineering is done all the time in the tech industry - it does not mean slavish replication, but usually alteration of what they find to either improve on it, or just avoid an IP suit

a minority of cases result in IP suits, some of them patent based

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

assuming arguendo that MQA can (and will) produce better SQ, that increment has to be adequate to make up for the detriment in consumer control over their property when they buy music

-- not claiming that the consumer owns it all in toto, but using the analogy that property is a bundle of sticks, the consumer owns some of those sticks

MQA (apparently) restricts what the owner can do with the file, as in moving it to a different player or storage medium.

After long experience with copy-protected software and loss of work from having its protection go haywire, not to mention the extra hassle of fixing it, i now avoid it like the plague.

21 hours ago, jhwalker said:

No, it doesn't.  MQA files are completely transportable, just like any other audio file.

Where did you hear this?

On this and other boards.

Where did you hear of an iron-clad guarantee that MQA files will always be completely transportable to other media and to other components??

I have to say, that despite the regard I have for Bob Stuart, his explanations do seem somewhat... ah... convoluted.

But maybe he is just trying to protect trade secrets.  Copyrights and patents don't always give you all the protection you want.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me respond by modifying your post a bit...

To be honest, Porsche doesn't really mean anything, except to a hugely small (;)) segment of the population. Most people today seem quite happy with their crummy fat SUVs and horrible self-driving pods. Very few people "drive" cars anymore...most just sit in it, get conveyed around and that is it.

I think the very best products have been made by people who wanted something to fit their OWN ideal, not to "make money" (which BTW is what the Treasury Dept. does anyway).  Examples:

Patagonia (Great Pacific Iron Works)

Porsche

Ferrari

early hewlett-packard (tools for engineers, built by engineers)

Apple

• 2 weeks later...