IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

This is quoted from an interview with Jim Hagerman just published on Stereophile.com. Interesting...

"JD: Any opinions on MQA? It doesn't make you want to revisit digital?

JH: No opinion other than it looks like a really clever technology. I don't know how it sounds but it's a clever way to combine everything and be compatible. I've heard some horrible stories about MQA and licensing. They're brutal with their licensing for manufacturers who want to use it and employ it. They sting you. For the small guy like me, I don't think I could afford to get into that business."

Read more at Industry Profile: Jim Hagerman of Hagerman Audio Labs | Stereophile.com

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

• 2 weeks later...
Over at Audiostream, Jim Collinson from Linn has posted a very well thought out comment on all the downsides to MQA. Here's an excerpt:

I encourage everyone interested in MQA to read the whole thing.

It appears to have been deleted by the editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Streaming in hi-res non-proprietary formats is coming from Pandora, Rhapsody, Pono, and others.

My question is - what basis do people have in thinking that MQA will be the *only* hi-res format?

Because when someone from Warner talks about not giving away the "Crown Jewels," it implies that they view MQA files as something less than the best. By making only MQA files available for download, they are protecting their true master files. The music industry has never been concerned about sound quality, only revenue generation. One could imagine that they would view the proprietary nature of MQA as a means to control distribution.

Warner is on record saying they will continue to provide hi-res PCM downloads to HDtracks et al. And...there will other non-MQA hi-res streaming services form Pandora, Rhapsody, and others.

Question - what time frame do you foresee MQA becoming the only source of hi-res?

What time frame? No clue. The content of your first paragraph doesn't guarantee anything, things could change. Time will tell.

That is basically my concern: taking away our options. What can we do about it? Probably nothing. Maybe MQA will prove to be a huge benefit but it would be nice if we could decide for ourselves whether or not we wanted it. For streaming, I have no issues whatsoever.

FYI

At a press conference, the Digital Entertainment Group announced that several other streaming services would offer “hi-res” streaming (including Pandora, HDtracks, Napster/Rhapsody). High-level executives from major record labels also stated their support for hi-res streaming, but inexplicably there was no mention of MQA and no opportunity for Q&A. I later learned that all these services will offer MQA streaming later this year. The MQA floodgates appear to have opened.

What is your reference for this information?

• 4 years later...

Simple solution Ryan, dump Tidal. 😁 Talk about an unreliable source for evaluating equipment.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Why won't they just rollover and die?!

• 4 months later...

Both Ayre and Auralic stood their ground and kept MQA out of their products, despite some owners "requesting" it quite strongly.