IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Here comes my first post on CA. First I want to say thanks for creating this thread and it made me believe that each component in the chain is important. I have spent many days ready this thread but I have not yet completed reading everything. However thanks to indexing the thread.. that's something really awesome.

I am posting because, I have question about clocks

Here is my Spaghetti 

I have my roon server on Synology NAS -->connected via CAT7 to-->Asus Wifi Router -->Connected via CAT7 to--> UltraRendu --> Connected via labkable USB to-->USB to i2S converter --> Connected via Ghent CAT6 JSSG360 ethernet cable to-->LKS Audio DAC-->Pass Int60->Harbeth P3ESR

I was planning to buy Spingxer SU1 modify by adding SOTM sCLK-EX. Later connect Mutec Ref 10 or Cybershaft.

However, as I understand clock closer to DAC would be better and guy who built my DAC (LKS Audio) suggested adding clock within DAC is much better than having external clock which avoids cabling and separate power supply etc. 

Now he suggested OCXO SC cut (approx. 800USD) which will be added to DAC internally. He says it is 100MHz. I have attached Phase Noise graph he shared with me. So I am wondering what's the difference between a 10MHz and 100MHz clocks. Is this a thing? 

If I do buy reference clock will internal clock going to have added benefit or it will make external clock useless. Ofcourse I am tirelessly googling and I thought it may be worth to bring this here as well.

Cheers,

Soma

mmexport1540255830720.jpg

SmartSelect_20181023-105224_WeChat.jpg

1 hour ago, LTG2010 said:

Most clocks have a master clock pin so there needs to be a Master clock input on any device in order for it to connect to the Ref10 or similar, such as that on the Mutec MC3+ or SOTM's sCLK EX board. The good thing about the sCLK EX is that you can 'upgrade' up to 4 devices, so when attached to a REF10 it becomes cost effective, 1 OCXO regulating multiple devices with lower spec clocks.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I see as DAC guy mentioned me something about DAC frequency. I didnt get at that time. It make sense now. So if new OCXO SC cut installation does not have master pin or master clock input it may better to go sCLK-EX installation instead and then regulate it with Mutec Ref 10. Thanks once again ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this forum, I am now interested in getting network switch, seems like important component in audio chain. 

Out of curiosity I am wondering, are there any options to go over wifi. My friend who bought New Auralic Aries G1 streamer mentioned that Auralic prefers wifi connection over ethernet. I guess this could be because of downside of ethernet. So far, I checked both wifi and ethernet connection, I could not able to tell the difference with Aries G1 (i used JSSG360 Ghent CAT6 from router). Are there any worst or good experience to share. Has this been tried with NUC?

Cheers,

Soma

Interesting results. Need help.

I have bought AL about 3 weeks before along with desktop HQP and had some initial difficulties setting it up on macbook pro. Finally everything resolved (thanks to Piero) and now able to boot from RAM in Macbook Pro (Mid 2015 model with it processor and 8GB RAM).

Roon core is in Synology NAS --> HQP as NAA in AL Macbook Pro ----> ultraRendu --> DAC

So far experience I felt like above setup recessed the music overall (took out the sparkle) as compared to Roon direct setup (Synology NAS ----> ultraRendu --> DAC). I am not sure it is because it Macbook Pro or my setting is incorrect? Or I should directly try with NUC? Any experience AL and HQP on macbook pro?

5 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Today I set up an NUC7PJYH3 quad core with 16gb ram, as roonserver

Hi all, quick check nuc7pjyh model maximum memory on the intel website says 8GB. Does it mean 8gb for each slot or 8gb for entire system (sorry I am technically disabled). I have ordered 4gb*2 for NUC. If it can take 16gb, I will cancel and buy 8gb*2. Thanks

55 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

Last night, after moving to my single server setup (taking the NUC off the chain), the leanness of sound has gone. There is slight reduction of edginess. I might have lost a tiny amount of details and resolution. But the sound is fuller, little thicker and weighty in a pleasant way.

I had same sound signature from AL/NUC+Harbeth combination. My NUC was NUC7PJYH. I initially thought it could be due to celeron CPU. I am not sure this is due to Linux. I borrowed my friend Auralic G1 to compare NUC+AL combo. G1 has fuller and thicker sound. I am going to try Euphony over the next month when time permit and report back. Ot could system as well.

55 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

Last night, after moving to my single server setup (taking the NUC off the chain), the leanness of sound has gone. There is slight reduction of edginess. I might have lost a tiny amount of details and resolution. But the sound is fuller, little thicker and weighty in a pleasant way.

I had same sound signature from AL/NUC+Harbeth combination. My NUC was NUC7PJYH. I initially thought it could be due to celeron CPU. I am not sure this is due to Linux. I borrowed my friend Auralic G1 to compare NUC+AL combo. G1 has fuller and thicker sound. I am going to try Euphony over the next month when time permit and report back. Ot could system as well.