IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Funny Ted, when Chris first started CA, he had the first gathering in Berkeley.  Even back then, when he compared a NAS to a local hd, the local hd won everytime.  That's why I was using ext hd's till I got tired of the hassle and went for a NAS.  

Interesting, but above my head, conversation ;)

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

• 4 weeks later...

Would my Mellanox fiber card function the same way as the Adnaco PCIe fiber card?  Both output fiber...I don't understand all of this so excuse if stupid question.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Thanks Tboooe and Larry.  Twas too good to be true lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, seeteeyou said:

I dunno where to put this but many of us should be interested in replacing DC cables with even better ones

FYI - recently there's yet another audiophile DC plug available in Taiwan

They should be able to ship internationally and here are their contacts

http://www.atl-newcablestudio.com/Contact.html

DC plugs from Oyaide are only good for bulk wires with 6.3mm diameter or below, however ATL ones are good for anything up to 8mm. Basically that's good for CrystalPower Special and the genuine bulk wires are available in Hong Kong as well as China

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=23058296058

http://www.audiofile.nl/sites/default/files/2014-07-01 R6 Crystal Cable Retail Pricelist.pdf#page=3

Of course we could also find a reputable seller on Audiogon etc. and then get one of those genuine Crystal Cables Power cables for cheap, then we could simply replace the IEC plugs on both ends with DC plugs accordingly.

So does anyone know what the price is on this DC plug from Taiwan?

• 3 weeks later...

When all else fails, reboot mR.  To me, the mR is the weakest link in my system in regards to ONLY Linux stability.  

What's the audio advantage of bridging?  From this description I found, it doesn't sound like it'd be important in audio to me, but what do I know ;)

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/the-advantages-of-a-network-bridge

15 hours ago, tboooe said:

Some people, me included feel that bypassing the switch and having a direct connection to the NAA results in a cleaner sound.

15 hours ago, ted_b said:

Chris

bridging Ethernet connections is the original subject of this now-massively-diverse knowledge thread. It allows one to connect directly to ones renderer rather than go through a switch

I see guys.  Can this be done using two Melco fiber cards?  My PC is downstairs in the basement...so how are you guys doing this long distance by sticking with USB?  

And Ted, I'm assuming you've not got yours working yet?

Thanks all.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Yes, I'll share it with you via pm in a bit.

??  Private information?  On a manufacturers website?  So strange ;)

Just curious, does having a 2 rail setup a compromise of any sort way on say a SR7?

5 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

In conclusion, it would seem that fixing the source (do no damage), the mobo, is key to achieving superb SQ which results in the ability to eliminate the need for any of the so called "fixers", components, which may only result in damaging the audio stream that is already "perfect".

nice post Elva, but kind of a bummer for those who like to use HQP...

Perhaps time to ?repost a diagram of the chained devices? Incl a mobo implementation?  

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, are you all using these switches to simply get an ethernet feed to small computers/streamers nearer to your audio setups?  Are these switches run from a feed from a router or secondary switch? 

Thanks

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

There are two aspects to sound quality from a network connection:

1) clocking, this includes the phase noise of the clock in the switch, but it also includes the phase noise from other network devices connected to the switch,

2) leakage current. This includes the leakage of the power supply feeding the switch, but it also includes the leakage from power supplies powering other network devices. This leakage current can go right through Ethernet transformers.

....John S.

Thank you so much John!! NOW I see why the emphasis of adding another switch and ps.  Very clear and concise that even I understood lol

I'll def work on this aspect.

The 5 port/7.5vdc ps...will the LPS=1 at 7 work here John?

9 hours ago, Johnseye said:

My question as well.  Amazon sells an FS105NA which looks like it's the v2 switch.  I like that it's 7.5v instead of 12v as it makes it much easier to power with an LPS-1 if necessary.  @JohnSwenson mentioned the 12v having a better jack but not sure on the details.  This v2 version also has a grounding plug.  See picture.  Not sure how that plays into it all and whether using it provides any added benefit.

51FuPnWByJL._SL1400_.jpg

Careful guys. I just bought this from the Amazon link, and I was sent FS105NA Version 3 that uses 12v's.  Only Version 2 uses 7.5v.  So I gotta return this one and buy elsewhere I guess.

45 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Just got mine and it was the 12v from Amazon.  I found a used v2 7.5v one on ebay. 

lol  Johnseye, I just did the exact same thing...I'm sure it's great minds no? hehe

On 6/8/2017 at 6:52 PM, austinpop said:

I thought it might help to clarify the network topologies that are such an integral part of this thread. In particular, there is a lot of confusion about the role of a switch with sCLK-EX mods. Perhaps these diagrams will make this clearer.

The Traditional Topology

This is what most of us were using prior to the initial post from Roy that introduced the "direct" connection.

5939e05377885_ScreenShot2017-06-08at6_35_42PM.thumb.png.9084193da4a448437c70611945b06e98.png

Traditional Switched Topology

This is just a variation of the traditional topology, recognizing that many of us have a switch between the endpoint and/or music server and the router. Note: this switch's role is the traditional role of a switch - to expand connectivity to more devices.

5939e0531580f_ScreenShot2017-06-08at6_35_55PM.thumb.png.f34526e82424fa5ec6a555b44b9d095e.png

Direct (Bridged) Topology

This is the topology that Roy introduced in the first post of his thread, where he claimed to have discovered a significant SQ benefit. Subsequently, many readers of this thread, myself included, have validated this finding in our own setups.

5939e0527469b_ScreenShot2017-06-08at6_36_14PM.thumb.png.6679174c5d033306a0b6ac93a9822d28.png

Direct with reclocking switch Topology

Finally, this is the topology that introduces a switch in the direct path, but note: this switch's role is not to provide expanded connectivity. It merely exists to exploit a free clock tap from an sCLK-EX board, and provides another reclocking of the Ethernet stream. Roy, I, @limniscate, and possibly others were surprised by the level of SQ improvement we heard. Anyone interested should go back and search posts by our handles for more details.

5939e051f4174_ScreenShot2017-06-08at6_36_26PM.thumb.png.99fa32b886064050a7ab289c72de2313.png

I hope this brings some clarity to the topologies and terminology frequently discussed on this thread. Please note - the diagrams shown are simplified - there are many variations on each theme, but these pictures distill the ideas into as few as I could manage.

I want to try this 'bridging'.  So it's only a matter of bypassing the expansive switch and going from router to server pc?

image.thumb.png.bad5c91d821c49616c8f7bf4e553ed07.png

Yet the instructions here:  https://m.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

So are the two networkable bridges, one from router and one from the server pc?

Sorry, I'm a bit dense ;)

50 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

2 NICs, one bridge created from the two.  Router to NIC 1 on PC via ethernet.  NIC 2 on PC to sMS-200 via ethernet.  Configuring Windows to bridge both NICs simply allows for connectivity to pass through the two NICs as if it were one.

Oh, I actually need to pc's/nic's to make this work.  Ugh.  Thanks Johnseye

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Cooler said:
As Jcat started to sell their Jcat net cards with clocks, i immediately bought one for my music PC. And for now I use it in bridged mode. First lan port for ultraRendu and second one for router. With two working lans it consumes more than LPS-1 can provide, so i use HDPlex LPSU for Jcat card and music PC.

But I spent some time with linux configuration and i found the way how to fully isolate ultrarendu from internet/router.
With that I want to achieve 3 aims:

1. Less noise from Jcat itself and from external devices to Jcat card
Actually the only reason, why we need access to internet for ultrarendu (to make it visible for external devices) is to give to it an IP address.
For that we built bridge, which is a wrong way. As we mix signals from external very noisy devices (router/switch) with clean (what we are trying to have) signals internally in one card.
And i dont want to connect directly router to Jcat card even through pink faun lan isolator or any other isolator.

And another issue is that Jcat card consumes more current and: heats more, more noisy etc and as a result has worse SQ.
Once we use one port, we will get better SQ itself from Jcat card and in addition we will cut noise from router, which is getting into Jcat card.

2. Use LPS-1 as PSU, which is better than HDPlex
Once we use only one port on Jcat card, it will consume less or near 1A, which can provide LPS-1. 

3. Possible use music PC without internet at all 
Roon wont work for now, but HQPlayer still works. Maybe later Roon will add offline license validation, then we can use Roon offline, maybe partially offline, i mean to have some online validation once in a week or day, i will write to them with this idea. But then the issue is a control, but i can live with some small screen, which connected to music PC, which i can turn on and turn off (one of the ways to control).

So for now, i have working ultrarendu without internet on linux, i provide IP for it locally from PC its connected, i installed there DHCP server with different subnet comparing to my router.
And i use one Jcat card port only. Win-win! :) 

The only issue i have is the internet connection, for that i use builtin lan on motherboard and i still fighting with configuration. Internet doesnt work properly, so i cant use Roon so far :( 

I may share configuration later, once i have working solution. If someone already have this working, let me know pls!

Perhaps this?  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-3-0-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-white/3510527.p?skuId=3510527&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=95130a68-941a-4abe-8066-f596ea5cf046&ksprof_id=401&ksaffcode=pg264881&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkcCV556v1wIVyIV-Ch3oGQcJEAYYASABEgKVavD_BwE

7 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hmmm, that's an interesting observation that makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks.

Oh NO! hehe

Guys, I have a couple LT3045s with the output being right on the underside + and - soldered pins, but testing on the screws of the terminal plug gives me readings all over the place.  Did I use too much solder or flux that affected something under the terminals?

Thanks for the help

Chris

Thanks Sandy, Larry helped me out just awhile ago.  He helped me learn how to diagnose the outputs.  I really appreciate all the help I get here guys.  So Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RickyV said:

The clock in the fs105 v3 is 25 Mhz

vs. v2 Ricky?

23 minutes ago, RickyV said:

i Will look at the datasheet when i get home from work. Raltek 8305nb.

Thanks, just was wondering if there was a diff. in clocks b/w the models.