IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Hi all.

I've been involved with computer audio for a couple of years and finally have a "good sound." But, of course, I want  to do better. So, I'd like advice on my next upgrade.

I'm considering either adding  a tX-USBultra with Mutec10 ref clock or an AC power regenerator. I'm firmly convinced that better clocks help but I also know that AC power matters. At this point, I haven't done anything for AC beyond high quality power cords and distribution box.

My current system is:

Nordost Heindall 2 power cords, Nordost QB4 distribution box

SGC/Roon/HQPe/JS-2 => ultraRendu/LPS-1=>ISO Regen/JS-2 =>Auralic Vega dac=>

ARC amp, Wilson speakers

What do you think: better clock, better AC or other?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, look&listen said:

Ha ha!

IMO cleaning AC power can cost $$$$ hardware, maybe services. But in cost/benefit equation, consider that all electronics improved together- analog, digital, audio, video, &c. B|

So far there does seem to be a small consensus on power first.  Is there a benefit from connecting  linear power supplies to a regenerator?

6 minutes ago, lmitche said:

The ac regenerators are at their heart big amps, and therefore active components.  More passive devices like isolation transformers can have a big impact and get you where you want to be for a lot less money. There are lots of threads CA about these solutions and at least for me, I have no compunction about changing anything in my ac power setup. Mine is a 1000va balanced power transformer with individual floating ground isolation transformers for each lps. The amplifier is direct to the big transformer. I am down to just 3 lpses at the AC to DC conversion level, two for the lps1.2s and one for the Nuc.

That's a new idea for me, I'll check it out. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

This is a really tough question to answer, if you frame it as an either-or! As I look at my own journey, my AC and clock improvements were kind of interspersed. If I remember right, my system improvements came in this order:

1. P5 regenerator
  2. sCLK-EX improvements with SOtM trifecta
  3. Cybershaft OP-14 master reference clock
  4. Dedicated 6-gauge AC circuit and outlet
  5. Mutec Ref 10

I found every step to be worthwhile. In hindsight, would I do them in any different order? Hmm, I don't know. For the most part, the AC improvements (dedicated line, regenerator) seemed to affect dynamics and cleanliness the most, whereas the clock improvements are more about spaciousness, resolution, clarity, texture etc. Don't get me wrong - there is overlap, but at a very gross level, this is how I would differentiate.

Looking back, I would still do ALL of these things, but to make the cost palatable, it's perfectly OK to spread these out over time.

On the AC side, definitely get a dedicated circuit. 10 gauge is fine. This is a no-brainer, on any system. Just do it. Take a look at Paul McGowan's latest video, at around the 6:00 minute mark: 

When it comes to conditioning, things get interesting. There are so many competing products and opinions, it's hard to know which way to go. There's IT's, like some in CA like. There's regenerators from PS Audio. Then there's conditioners like the Denali/Triton et al. Then there are other power conditioners. I have not tried these all, so cannot say which is the way to go. All I can say is I took the PS Audio regenerator approach, and heard a substantial improvement. But other ways may yield equal or better.

The clock stuff is a no-brainer, and you can space it out by getting the tX-USBultra first, and Ref 10 later.

Thanks for the thorough response. The video was a useful reminder about wiring.

I knew that the was no simple answer to my question. But it was interesting that there no one firmly recommended the clock as the first choice. As I read everyone's comments, I find myself leaning toward improving the "infrastructure" first. So wiring/outlets (relatively easy in my situation), then regenerator and then clocks. Assuming , of course, that I don't losing my discipline and do something else on a whim!

As always, this forum is a great place for information.

9 minutes ago, barrows said:

If you are not already doing it, here is a free upgrade for you: use ROON to oversample everything to the highest rate of DSD which your Vega accepts.  The Vega uses an ESS 9018 chip, and in my experience the ESS chips do way better with DSD input, and ROON oversampling to DSD is actually pretty damn good.

I agree completely about upsampling. I'm a dedicated fan of HQPlayer. The recently added filters have really made my system sing: more weight and depth with no loss of detail.

2 minutes ago, barrows said:

Most prefer HQP and you will get no argument from me.  My point was that just by applying ROON's oversampling (to DSD 128/256) there will be a nice gain in SQ without having to purchase anything else (HQP or a more powerful computer needed to run it).  So a free "upgrade"

Got it. I'm already using HQPe on a sonicTRansporter7.

5 minutes ago, the_doc735 said:

even dedicated circuits meet at the main house power supply cable i.e. sharing the same house power cable from outside the home and the interference will travel everywhere up and down those lines backwards and forwards where ever they meet (even if you have a separate fuse box!). I would have thought that an isolating transformer would be as good, maybe better?   e.g. Topaz.

1749722657_TheDetailedinternalwiringfortheSampleDBandMCBsandRCDunitsused.thumb.jpg.d1c84509d1e0ced887c032e16f361bd9.jpg

That's a good thought and I'll look into it. There seem to be  a lot of options for improving AC.

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, jimbones said:

I am running Roon ROCK on an 8th Gen NUC and my DAC is the original Auralic Vega. I want to get an SOTM or Sonore (or other equal) I don't know what model to buy and don't want to waste money where it is not needed. Can anyone suggest an appropriate make/model for my set up? Thanks

I use an i7 sonic transporter,  Sonore ultrarendu and an auralic Vega dac. The ultraRendu was a significant improvement over the microRendu. I have been very happy with the UltraRendu but haven't tried SOTM.