IGNORED

Good travel headphones?

I don’t know that much about headphones. I have two pairs of Sennheisers—open-back HD 600’s for late-night listening through my desktop rig, and an old pair of cheap PX 100’s, which fold up and fit in your pocket. The sound quality for those is adequate for playing mp3’s from my iPod or iPhone, but they are on-ear style, and useless on an airplane, with the drone from the engines. I need something more appropriate, a sealed, over-ear design, and efficient enough (low Ω) for my iPod Nano or iPhone to drive them. I don’t know anything about “noise-cancelling" designs, and don’t find in-ear types comfortable. Can anyone offer some advice? My budget is ~$250.

I don’t know that much about headphones. I have two pairs of Sennheisers—open-back HD 600’s for late-night listening through my desktop rig, and an old pair of cheap PX 100’s, which fold up and fit in your pocket. The sound quality for those is adequate for playing mp3’s from my iPod or iPhone, but they are on-ear style, and useless on an airplane, with the drone from the engines. I need something more appropriate, a sealed, over-ear design, and efficient enough (low Ω) for my iPod Nano or iPhone to drive them. I don’t know anything about “noise-cancelling" designs, and don’t find in-ear types comfortable. Can anyone offer some advice? My budget is ~$250.

Bose QC25's can be found for $250 now and then.

• 2 weeks later...