IGNORED

ARC LS-17SE Pre-Amp

Ralf11

I'm interested in hearing what people think of this pre-amp, especially in comparison to a Sonic Frontiers Line One.

It will be used with Magnepan 1.7i speakers (or the older 1.5QRs if I keep them; or - hell - maybe 3.7s or 3.6.. but you get the idea). They are driven by a Sunfire Cinema Grand 7 channel amp, and fed by a Cal Audio Icon Mk II (with PowerBoss) or maybe a new Oppo disc player.

The other input is from a Mac mini via WiFi to an Apple TV-3 and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic (the Mini may go to a DAC via cable if I move it into the living room).

redbook CD library with a few moFi discs and some SACDs sprinkled in.

I will admit... in part I just want the damn knobs on the ARC gear ;]

The Line 1 was competitive with ARC preamps in the same price range back when it was in production. ARC has been continuing to improve their products, with each new generation improving on the models they replaced. Newer isn't always better, but in the case of preamps in particular, the direction is towards greater transparency. My guess is the LS-17SE will make the Line One sound broken if both are fed by a great source. This is pure speculation though.

I used to own a Line 3. I thought it sounded great until I compared it to the Spectral preamp I own now. The Line 3 wasn't very transparent.

Having said all this, I think it would be a waste to go with the LS-17SE. You should improve your sources first. Digital gear has advanced far more than analog preamps. You should get a good DAC with a volume control and ditch the preamp entirely. I used to own the same Csl Icon. It was a great value back in the 90s, but that technology was surpassed quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Kennyb123, you make some very good observations. At times in my system I have bypassed the ARC-LS17SE and used the Mytek Brooklyn DAC with excellent results as my preamp.

I do think using the LS-17SE gives somewhat better results in my system but I would be able to live with the Brooklyn DAC as a preamp without a problem.

Kennyb123, you make some very good observations. At times in my system I have bypassed the ARC-LS17SE and used the Mytek Brooklyn DAC with excellent results as my preamp.

I do think using the LS-17SE gives somewhat better results in my system but I would be able to live with the Brooklyn DAC as a preamp without a problem.

The Brooklyn came to mind as exactly the kind of DAC the OP should be considering instead of the LS17SE. A system is only as good as its weakest link. Driving the LS-17SE with a CD player from the 1990s would be like bringing a really good set of golf clubs to a miniature golf course. LOL

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

that CD player from the '90s seems to do just as well as the Oppo 103

I think it would be just as much a waste to pair the LS-17SE with an Oppo 103. I just think you'd be better off spreading the money around more. But if your intention is to eventually build a system around the LS-17SE then it's not a bad strategic move - assuming that you were going to have multiple really good sources eventually. The only reason I have a preamp now is because I have both a really good turntable and DAC. But if I was just starting to build a really good system now, I'd be running a DAC directly into an amp.

My first true high end purchase was actually an ARC LS-1 back in the late 90s. I then added the Cal Icon CD player. One had to spend a lot more money back then to get good digital sound. I eventually abandoned CD for analog as I found it difficult to enjoy digital. I used to fidget constantly with the Icon CD player. That the LS-1 wasn't very resolving was a good thing. No way would I want to hear that on an even better system.

Fast forward to this year and even something like the Chord Mojo is competitive with a good turntable.

the first thing in terms of spreading the money around more will be a speaker upgrade: from Magnepan 1.5QR to 1.7i, or maybe I can convince myself to go for the 3.7i

Smart move. I actually think the 1.6 was a significant upgrade and if you can convince yourself to move to 3.6 or 3.7's you will be in heaven.

David

Smart move. I actually think the 1.6 was a significant upgrade and if you can convince yourself to move to 3.6 or 3.7's you will be in heaven.

Better to skip the 3.6 and jump right to the 3.7. The 3.7 is a much better speaker. I couldn't stand the 3.6.

Even the 3.7 isn't a speaker for me, but I can understand the appeal.