IGNORED

YBA Solid State Amp Mated With Monitor Audio Bronze/ Silver 6 - Enough Juice? Or PSB X2T?

Aloha,

Here are the specs on my YBA amp:

50Wpc into 8 ohms (17dBW), 90Wpc into 4 ohms (16.5dBW). Frequency response: 10Hz–40kHz, ±3dB. Total Harmonic Distortion: 20Hz–20kHz, ±0.02%. S/N ratio: !w95dB (A-weighted). Power consumption: 260W (full power).

I'm curious to in home demo both the Monitor Audio Bronze 6, and Silver 6. The issue is that the minimum recommended amp power for both speakers is 60w, and my amp is only 50w - albeit a generous 50w.

I realize pushing the power envelope would be very equipment specific. Having never done it, I'd like some general feedback on the prospect.

My current alternative is the PSB X2T's which only require 20w. But they cost twice as much as the Monitor Audio Bronze 6, are huge in comparison. I've ruled out the PSB X1T's due to mediocre reviews.

All feedback is welcomed!

the monitor bronze 6 and silver 6 have a sensitivity of 90db, so they're pretty efficient. the reality is that in typical listening environments, you're only using a few watts. yba amps (as you know) are well built -- i would think it could easily handle the monitors. give it a go -- i think you'll find its a non-issue.

silver series gets great reviews -- look forward to hearing what you think.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks so much for the advice. I have ordered both the Monitor Audio Bronze 6 and PSB Imagine X2T's for an audition. I have owned a pair of Meadowlark Audio Kestrels Hot Rods for 17 years - which have been great. Have become curious is in this era of HD files if I'm hearing all the YBA amp can do. And hence the exploration. I hope the Monitor Audio Bronze 6's aren't too bright. Not many reviews for them online.

I hope the Monitor Audio Bronze 6's aren't too bright. Not many reviews for them online.
Haven't heard them but Monitor Audio often tend to be bright. Good luck, you have a good amp (though you do not specify which YBA model, I know many of them even older ones sound great) deserving good speakers! BTW does your dealer sell Triangle speakers? Some of them are very good and could be a good match for YBA.

YBA Integre from 1999, bought it new. Its a super amp that has been very faithful all these years.

I've read mixed reviews on the Monitor Audios. Some say they are bright, but read this review, the only full professional review I could find, that say the Bronze 6 are not bright. Silver 6 are more than I want to spend, same with the PSB Imagine T's - the next steps up.

I live on Maui, there are no "dealers" here. Crutchfield has free shipping to Hawaii, and only $10 per box to return. With other companies, if I had to pay the shipping myself, could cost $300 to ship back 100 lbs of speakers. So I'm exploring the Crutchfield options first due to favorable terms. Have always been quite satisfied with the Meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rods, and could end up back with them - its just fun to experiment ;)

I prefer to lurk at the entry level of audiophile-ness, less I succumb to the madness of paying 400% more for 10% sonic improvement. I've found the first few economic rungs of that land very satisfactory.

Haven't heard them but Monitor Audio often tend to be bright.

That's also my opinion, although it's been getting a bit better in latest iterations.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

That's also my opinion, although it's been getting a bit better in latest iterations.

R

If too bright, they will be quickly shown the door! The Good Sounds reviews specifically says they aren't bright, but rather smooth. We shall see if things have improved.

Just wanted to have something to compare to the PSB's.

If too bright, they will be quickly shown the door! Just wanted to have something to compare to the PSB's.

I owned the T2s for a while and they were quite good for the money (paid around $2k).

PSB's tweeter is a bit sparkly but many people may actually like this tiny bit of coloration.

Good luck!

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I owned the T2s for a while and they were quite good for the money.

PSB's tweeter is a bit sparkly but many people may actually like this tiny bit of coloration.

Good luck!

R

Thanks. To my understanding from review-land, the X2T's are very similar to the T2's. I'm excited to hear them.

I shall report back!

@DancingSea I know YBA Integre very well. Actually I thought we're talking Integre. My kind of amp. Smooth, tube-like sound. Likes dynamic speakers IMO. If speakers are slightly bright but smoooth that's ok for me personally. But if they are both bright and harsh...well..5 minutes and out. Either me or the speakers ;) Good luck again! Hmmm..have you ever heard Dynaudio.? :)

@DancingSea I know YBA Integre very well. Actually I thought we're talking Integre. My kind of amp. Smooth, tube-like sound. Likes dynamic speakers IMO. If speakers are slightly bright but smoooth that's ok for me personally. But if they are both bright and harsh...well..5 minutes and out. Either me or the speakers ;) Good luck again! Hmmm..have you ever heard Dynaudio.? :)

I with you Brother, harsh is not for me. I love the combo of my YBA amp and PeachTree DAC-ITx, hoping modern speakers will help me hear more of what the Integre has to offer. It has been such a good amp, have never seriously considered replacing it.

I'll check out Dynaudio, thanks for the tip. Anything in particular from them?

Part of the reason why I'm spending conservatively on the speakers is that I'm intrigued to buy the coming KEF LS50 Wireless set up for the living room, which will hopefully let me sneak by the interior design police. Pretty slick arrangement, maybe can hide a sub somewhere.

@DancingSea I believe as for floorstanders Dynaudio Emit M30 would be in this price range. But I'd really like to hear Integre with some more contemporary Triangle speakers. Especially with Celius. They have just a touch of tweeter mini-horn hardness (beside that these are really amazing speakers) but something tells me the Integre's silky smooth sound could be just a perfect match for them (at least as my taste is considered) and the way to get a really killer system.

@DancingSea I believe as for floorstanders Dynaudio Emit M30 would be in this price range. But I'd really like to hear Integre with some more contemporary Triangle speakers. Especially with Celius. They have just a touch of tweeter mini-horn hardness (beside that these are really amazing speakers) but something tells me the Integre's silky smooth sound could be just a perfect match for them (at least as my taste is considered) and the way to get a really killer system.

Thanks for the advice. Where can one buy the Dynamo Emit M30's or Triangle Celius online? A quick google search did not turn up much about availability or current prices.

The PSB X2T's and Monitor Audio Bronze 6's have been here a week.

I like them both for different reasons. The PSB's get the overall nod with a wonderfully full sound, and detailed, well articulated low end. I noticed the sparkly treble, but found it pleasant. The Monitor Audio's are much better looking, and also sound lovely. The MA's had a more interesting high end. Both pairs handled a wide variety of HD FLAC files with aplomb, very lively.

If the Kestrels had died, would set my sights on the PSB Imagine T's, or various Dynaudio/ KEF options.

In the end, I found both to be, at best, a lateral step from my 17 year old, very faithful, Meadowlark Audio Kestrel Hot Rods. The Kestrels have a more sophisticated presentation. The PSB's showed me I could do with more on the low end, thus have ordered a PSB sub woofer to audition. Both sets of towers are going back.

If my Kestrels had died, would be looking towards the PSB Imagine T's as a serious contender. And keen to try Dynaudio as well.

It was a worthy experiment. I found the grass to not be any greener, just a different shade. I'll set my sites higher up the speaker food chain the next time the upgrade bug bites.