IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 Review

Looks like I am bumping this up from the grave but in reading thru this review and the previous review of the S1 model I see that these DAC's were used primarily in a "Direct" fashion stright to the Amplifiers with no PreAmp involved. While reading thru the comments section of the previous review it was mentioned that the digital volume control on the S1 needed to be at or near "54" before it was producing full output at the Analog outs.

@Chris ...Can you comment on what volume level you were using for most of your review? I'm just trying to get a sense of what "54" is in terms of SPL/DB output at the seated position. Is "54" VERY Loud (ie..100+db) or is "54" equivalent to just basic background listening?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Looks like I am bumping this up from the grave but in reading thru this review and the previous review of the S1 model I see that these DAC's were used primarily in a "Direct" fashion stright to the Amplifiers with no PreAmp involved. While reading thru the comments section of the previous review it was mentioned that the digital volume control on the S1 needed to be at or near "54" before it was producing full output at the Analog outs.

@Chris ...Can you comment on what volume level you were using for most of your review? I'm just trying to get a sense of what "54" is in terms of SPL/DB output at the seated position. Is "54" VERY Loud (ie..100+db) or is "54" equivalent to just basic background listening?

Thanks

Setting the volume to 54 is what's done when connecting the Alpha to a preamp.

If setting the level to 54 without a preamp, the SPL will vary greatly depending on the amps and speakers in use. In certain configurations I can set it at 54 and it will be about as loud as I'd ever play something. In other cases, setting it to 54 will blow my ears off.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Setting the volume to 54 is what's done when connecting the Alpha to a preamp.

If setting the level to 54 without a preamp, the SPL will vary greatly depending on the amps and speakers in use. In certain configurations I can set it at 54 and it will be about as loud as I'd ever play something. In other cases, setting it to 54 will blow my ears off.

Thanks for the info.

Im struggling to see how using this or any DAC direct to Amp wont result in chopping off of bits or other undesirable results considering that it sounds like normal listening levels in a DAC direct scenario leave you way too far left still on the volume control.

If you need to have the Vol at 54 for ideal "Passthru" operation with a Preamp then that also means anything less than 54 on the Vol knob means there are compromises taking place in the sound.

I guess my point is that I see mention going DAC direct with this Berkeley is the recommended way to use it but this contradicts what is known about how the volume control works.

Thanks for the info.

Im struggling to see how using this or any DAC direct to Amp wont result in chopping off of bits or other undesirable results considering that it sounds like normal listening levels in a DAC direct scenario leave you way too far left still on the volume control.

If you need to have the Vol at 54 for ideal "Passthru" operation with a Preamp then that also means anything less than 54 on the Vol knob means there are compromises taking place in the sound.

I guess my point is that I see mention going DAC direct with this Berkeley is the recommended way to use it but this contradicts what is known about how the volume control works.

Setting the volume to 54 is equivalent to a DAC without volume control. I don't see the compromise if also using a preamp.

Digital volume control is also much more than chopping bits. There are pros and cons to digital and analog. I've experienced both and have heard great things and terrible things.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Setting the volume to 54 is equivalent to a DAC without volume control. I don't see the compromise if also using a preamp.

Digital volume control is also much more than chopping bits. There are pros and cons to digital and analog. I've experienced both and have heard great things and terrible things.

I agree that there should be no compromises when using a real PreAmp with the DAC volume on 54.

Unfortunately there aren't many "good" DAC's on the market yet that also include a proper analog volume control which would do the Amp direct connection justice. The Pre/DAC that I use now (Classe CP800) does a pretty good job of combining this but I think the DAC section is fairly weak sounding which is why I only use it as a Preamp only.

One product that I have been watching closely that appears to check all the boxes is the new Bricasti M12. Hopefully there will be more of its caliber in the future.

I agree that there should be no compromises when using a real PreAmp with the DAC volume on 54.

Unfortunately there aren't many "good" DAC's on the market yet that also include a proper analog volume control which would do the Amp direct connection justice. The Pre/DAC that I use now (Classe CP800) does a pretty good job of combining this but I think the DAC section is fairly weak sounding which is why I only use it as a Preamp only.

One product that I have been watching closely that appears to check all the boxes is the new Bricasti M12. Hopefully there will be more of its caliber in the future.

I'm not denying that the Berkeley is a good DAC but I have not read a review where they really had good competition. The latest TAS has a pitiful small sampling of DAC's yet in their mind it's the best they ever heard. Well with what they tested probably but there are others to consider. I think Bricasti for one particularly in combo with its own amps would be an eye opener to them and many Berkeley users.

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI