IGNORED

Discussion of AC mains isolation transformers

9 hours ago, One and a half said:

Could be any number, the transformer in my Equi-Tech is made by Electronetics out Everett WA.

Pretty sad how they just run the secondary of the trans into the outlet on the right and then daisy-chain the rest of the outlets--using rather rather thin wire (looks like 18AWG/300V).  

And except for the ground screws they use the push-in holes for ALL the wires!  Here's the pathetic contact area of back-wire stab-in terminal (this from an industrial-grade outlet:

Q7Q8ZaA.jpg.b3cca1c9026f0a1d52532fb2f17eb1c4.jpg

Yuck!

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, One and a half said:

What happened when the hot water washing toilet seat was strengthened with an audio power supply?

That's shocking! What some audiophiles will do for excitement...x-D

But I agree with you Gary, the complexity of some "power conditioner" designs can have odd effects. Some of them dump all the crap into the ground, and often they greatly increase the impedance between the grounds of connected equipment. Which is quite counterproductive if one is trying to minimize leakage loops between gear. 

That's why we prefer the approach of a very stout, completely filterless power strip (with solid low impedance grounding wires or bus-bar between outlets) fronted from the wall by a great isolation transformer--such as the Topaz--for protection.

You mentioned Furman. We have had a variety of support issues (with ISO REGEN, UltraCap, and EtherREGEN) that ended up going away when the client bypassed their Furman box.  Garth Powell, ex of Furman, is also the designer of Audioquest's Niagara series.  Below is a pic. I have no idea what he is trying to accomplish (though I am not an engineer and pass no judgement). Just looks like more than I would want/need between the wall and my audio components.  It's not an AC>DC supply. It's supposed to be just AC in, AC out. :/

audioquest-niagara-7000-inside-white_2048x.thumb.jpg.c7a620d037422db77f72c464408d04d4.jpg

• 1 year later...