IGNORED

Anyone using REW (Room EQ Wizard) with HQPlayer?

I about ready to use REW to measure the frequency response of my room. My intention is to export he REW filters as WAV files and use them with HQPlayer. I was wondering if there are other who has done this? If so, I would appreciate any pointers.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi. I just order a USB micro to take the measures. Look in you tube for a tutorial how to use rew.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I about ready to use REW to measure the frequency response of my room. My intention is to export he REW filters as WAV files and use them with HQPlayer. I was wondering if there are other who has done this? If so, I would appreciate any pointers.

I have with great results. Take the time to get good measurements.

Send me a pm and I can get you a list of useful links next week. I am going to remeasure my 2.2 setup, but I have more questions than answers for this atm as I don't know if I should create separate left right measure and filters or just do what I did was a combined measure with subs and generated one mono was that was used for left and right filter in HQP. As I don't use a soundcard I cannot map channels and this is the only thing that made sense to me at the time with two channel chord ASIO driver. Also the best advise I can give you is to gain match your sub before creating your filters. Second best is not to use too many eq filters less is more and in my system the bass room modes that are taken care of with HQP convolution.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

That's the same mic I bought. Just waiting for it to be delivered.

I have with great results. Take the time to get good measurements.

Send me a pm and I can get you a list of useful links next week. I am going to remeasure my 2.2 setup, but I have more questions than answers for this atm as I don't know if I should create separate left right measure and filters or just do what I did was a combined measure with subs and generated one mono was that was used for left and right filter in HQP. As I don't use a soundcard I cannot map channels and this is the only thing that made sense to me at the time with two channel chord ASIO driver. Also the best advise I can give you is to gain match your sub before creating your filters. Second best is not to use too many eq filters less is more and in my system the bass room modes that are taken care of with HQP convolution.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thank you for the offer to help. I appreciate it.

I also have a 2.2 system. In fact, I just added the second sub last week. My intention is to do as much as I can with room treatments and speaker placement before I apply any filters. I am not going for a perfectly flat response anyway. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the idea of a house curve where the slope in the low frequencies actually increases gradually.

As for making separate filters for left and right channels...I guess you could do that as long as once they are applied, the response with all speakers and subs on gives the total response you are looking for.

I need to read up on the REW forums more for sure.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

You are definitely better off with separate filters for left and right channels. This is because the interaction between the left speaker and the room is different to the right speaker, because of asymmetric room placement. And IF you are one of those few who have a perfectly symmetrical arrangement in a perfectly symmetrical room, you probably shouldn't - because of the Allison Effect.

Thank you for all the replies. I ordered the same micro. I hope to get before the weekend. All the advice you may provide will be useful. I will be using just 2 speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

You are definitely better off with separate filters for left and right channels. This is because the interaction between the left speaker and the room is different to the right speaker, because of asymmetric room placement. And IF you are one of those few who have a perfectly symmetrical arrangement in a perfectly symmetrical room, you probably shouldn't - because of the Allison Effect.

Can you please explain how to do this in practice with REW? Would I measure the room response of each speaker alone, apply the filters to give me the response I want for each speaker, measure the room response with both speakers on, then adjust the filters for each individual speaker, and repeat until I get the response I want for both speakers? Is there a more efficient way to do.this?

Other components:

That's the same mic I bought. Just waiting for it to be delivered.

Thank you for the offer to help. I appreciate it.

I also have a 2.2 system. In fact, I just added the second sub last week. My intention is to do as much as I can with room treatments and speaker placement before I apply any filters. I am not going for a perfectly flat response anyway. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the idea of a house curve where the slope in the low frequencies actually increases gradually.

As for making separate filters for left and right channels...I guess you could do that as long as once they are applied, the response with all speakers and subs on gives the total response you are looking for.

I need to read up on the REW forums more for sure.

I also have that mic.

Make sure to read a couple exellent articles from mitchco:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/speaker-room-calibration-walkthrough-173/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/importance-timbre-sound-reproduction-systems-222/

REW Guide:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/REW%20101%20HTS%20Current%20Version.pdf

Gain matching is in the REW guide as well as:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/MiniDSP%202x4%20Set-Up%20Guide%20Latest%20Version.pdf

Minimal eq in REW:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/6818-minimal-eq-target-levels-hard-knee-house-curve-long.html

I use the house curve mentioned in the mitchco article above(from Bob Katz):

target response of flat to 1 kHz, and using 1 kHz as a hinge point, straight line to -6 dB at 20 kHz.

Tks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Btw, what do I export from REW for use in HQP...Impulse Response as WAV or Filters Impulse Response as WAV?

Other components:

If you use filters made with REW to correct your room, you will probably only adjust things in the frequency domain and not in the time domain. As very well explained by Mitch in this article (Computer Audiophile - Acourate Digital Room and Loudspeaker Correction Software Walkthrough), as well as in his book (https://www.amazon.com/Accurate-Sound-Reproduction-Using-DSP-ebook/dp/B01FURPS40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476908004&sr=8-1&keywords=accurate+dsp), time domain adjustment with Acourate is a very easy solution to implement. This will provide you with the additional benefits of hearing frequencies produced by all drivers at the same time :)

Thank you for this @SwissBear! I have a lot to learn....

Other components:

Hi tboooe,

I guess we all have a lot to learn.

So if we can help, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Thank you. I get my usb mic on Tues so thats when the fun and barrage of noob questions begin!

One thing I cant get my head wrapped around is that it seems there is no way in REW to apply the filters created for each channel and test the response with both speakers playing. Seems odd to not be able to check what the response would be for both or one speaker with filters applied.

Other components:

Well, it seems you are running on Windows. So you can use a functionality of JRiver under Windows, which is to activate JRiver as a WDM driver (Options->General->Features->WDM).

750547JRIVER7.png

You can select the convolution options inside JRiver:

974766JRiver5.png

Then, you can select JRiver as the driver for your outputs in REW and the corrections will be applied to the measures you are making.

521141JRIVER8.png

So you will be able to measure the results of your corrections.

Thank you! However, I dont understand how I would apply the filter for each speaker in JRiver? It looks like from the second image that I can only import a single filter file? Is so this means I can only verify 1 speaker at a time? Ideally I would like to test both speakers at the same time so I can see what the interaction impact is, especially since this is how I would normally listen to my stereo.

Other components:

You need to write, for each and every sampling frequency, a config file with the following structure (please note the directory used in this example is under MacOS):

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 20.54.23.png

And this is the file that you will reference in the JRiver convolution window.

So you will have a different correction impulse for each channel. You could have 8 different correction impulses if you had a 7+1 system.

As per SwissBear: you need to write your own config file. I don't have a background in programming, so I was a little intimidated when I saw what JRiver wanted me to do. It took me about an hour of reading before I understood what was required, and I was able to successfully write my own config file.

I suggest you read this page: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution

JRiver uses "standard" config files. This page shows you how to write one: Config file

Good luck.

@SwissBear @Keith_W thank you very much! Once I get my mic next week I will give this shot.

Writing that file looks really straightforward for my simple system. I assume the file will look like:

44100 2 2 0

0 0

0 0

C:\Impulses\LeftIR.wav

C:\Impulses\RightIR.wav

Other components:

Thank you @SwissBear....I've reading up on the REW forum. At the moment, I am trying to better understand the house curve and reading up on implementing it. Next week will be fun once I get the mic!

Other components: