IGNORED

Anyone using REW (Room EQ Wizard) with HQPlayer?

Just wanted to give a little update. I've spent the last few days trying to get a good baseline setup prior to applying any filters. It is really amazing how small changes to the speaker position can have a big impact on the freq response. I think at this point, I cant get any better. I am actually pleased with the overall shape of my freq response graph. Though far from perfect, it at least has the same overall downward sloping shape that is generally recommended. Next step is to create some filters. I am hoping to only apply filters at freq less than 200hz only.

Anyway, here is my room response:

Baseline L+R+Subs.jpg

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Just wanted to give a little update. I've spent the last few days trying to get a good baseline setup prior to applying any filters. It is really amazing how small changes to the speaker position can have a big impact on the freq response. I think at this point, I cant get any better. I am actually pleased with the overall shape of my freq response graph. Though far from perfect, it at least has the same overall downward sloping shape that is generally recommended. Next step is to create some filters. I am hoping to only apply filters at freq less than 200hz only.

Anyway, here is my room response:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30142[/ATTACH]

Can't help much as I'm also struggling with DSP for the first time using Acourate, but just to say your room curve at lower frequencies does not look real bad. Minimal low-frequency room modes that can lead to boomy or pronounced bass. DSP can still make improvements though.

Lots of folks say the biggest improvements can usually be made in the 20-300hz range.

Can't help much as I'm also struggling with DSP for the first time using Acourate, but just to say your room curve at lower frequencies does not look real bad. Minimal low-frequency room modes that can lead to boomy or pronounced bass. DSP can still make improvements though.

Lots of folks say the biggest improvements can usually be made in the 20-300hz range.

Thank you! Yeah it looks like I have some modes at 80/160/etc but I think it helps that I already have bass traps and absoprtion panels. The waterfall graphs dont look too bad either. I have some high decay times at the lowest frequencies so it looks like I need to get more bass traps. I am hopeful I can get these corrected with 2 filters. Whats even more interesting is the graph for each speaker individually. Its really interesting to see how different their responses are. Makes me wonder how much variation there is between speakers from the factory. I am going to try and create filters for each speaker separately.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi tboooe,

I concur with kilroy's comment that your measurement curve is very good.

What you should look in the low range is if you have resonance. This is the conjunction of high levels with long energy dispersion time. See in the low frequency what happens in my room on the attached waterfall.

uncorrected waterfall.jpg

On the corrected measurement (with RePhase+REW, but you can achieve the same with Acourate), you can notice that the resonance have been drastically reduced.

RePhase waterfall.jpg

Another thing to look at is the time domain. In the first measurement, you will notice that the three monitors of my three way LS are not time aligned: first there is the impulsion of the tweeter, then the medium and lastly the woofer.

uncorrected step.jpg

If you correct this with RePhase or Acourate, you will get the following type of step:

RePhase step.jpg

Although not perfect because of the pre-ringing which is linked to the correction in the low range, the time alignment of monitors is much better. And so is the quality of the sound image.

uncorrected waterfall.jpg

RePhase waterfall.jpg

Thank you @SwissBear! Your input has really helped me especially the part about using JRMC to verify my filters, otherrwise I would be relying on the predicted results in REW. What I found was that REW overestimated the impact of my filters, especially at the room modes. I have a particularly nasty on at 80hz where i had to apply a gain of 16!!!

So today I messed around with my filters and feel that I got a good setup with no major dips or peaks. I got two little valleys at 150 and 220hz but its hard to deal with because in between them I have a peak.

Filtered FINAL L+R+Subs.jpg

As for the waterfall, i think my room is pretty good. I've got some issues at the lowest frequencies which I am going to try to deal with more bass traps.

Filtered FINAL L+R+S Waterfall.jpg

I am just getting started with room correction so I have a lot to learn! A lot of what you referenced in your post is definitely over my head! I am just happy my room response looks halfway decent! In all seriousness I am very happy with the improvement in the sound. I am excited to learn more about digital room correction and see what additional improvements I can get. Thank you again swissbear!

Other components: