IGNORED

Low profile CD Player or media server

Wow @One and a half- that seems like a relatively logical and easy fix. I'll try it and get back to you! Thank you for the advice!

Let's try with what we have for now. Certainly the shielded power cables are a good idea from wwaldmanfan, keeps some of the noise in the cable, hopefully the shield is all the way through, otherwise it's an antenna. I have some of these, they certainly don't do any harm.

Tube buffers are certainly interesting, the tube sound can be emulated in plugins. The one I tried was a freebie into a SPL PASSEQ parametric equalizer sitting in Audirvana + although there are others that standalone. Setting of various biases certainly changes the sound, and there's no ground loop either to worry about. They do add distortion, so from a creative point of view they are fun to play with specific instruments only. For general playback purposes, there's constant fiddling with gains and things, since it's easy to overdrive and create unpleasant playback.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Let's try with what we have for now. Certainly the shielded power cables are a good idea from wwaldmanfan, keeps some of the noise in the cable, hopefully the shield is all the way through, otherwise it's an antenna. I have some of these, they certainly don't do any harm.

Tube buffers are certainly interesting, the tube sound can be emulated in plugins. The one I tried was a freebie into a SPL PASSEQ parametric equalizer sitting in Audirvana + although there are others that standalone. Setting of various biases certainly changes the sound, and there's no ground loop either to worry about. They do add distortion, so from a creative point of view they are fun to play with specific instruments only. For general playback purposes, there's constant fiddling with gains and things, since it's easy to overdrive and create unpleasant playback.

Moving the power cables to the same outlet definitely helped. It's not 100% but way better than before. I'll order the cables tonight too. You mentioned hooking it up to the Tape Monitor to switch between using the Tube Preamp and not using it. What would the wiring configuration be for that? It would be great to compare the "pure" hi-fi sound with the "remixed" sound.

As for using plugins to emulate the tube sound, i admit part of me really really likes that idea. Seems like a lot less hassle, though it does take some of the fun out of the hunt for the perfect sound (for me). As I mentioned in earlier posts I'm only using iTunes now since it makes it really easy to take my library with me in my car, etc...though i still can't stream it to Sonos. Is there anything like that for iTunes?

I realize staying in the Apple ecosystem has it's plusses and minuses, but so far the benefits outweigh the negatives for me at this point.

Moving the power cables to the same outlet definitely helped. It's not 100% but way better than before. I'll order the cables tonight too. You mentioned hooking it up to the Tape Monitor to switch between using the Tube Preamp and not using it. What would the wiring configuration be for that? It would be great to compare the "pure" hi-fi sound with the "remixed" sound.

As for using plugins to emulate the tube sound, i admit part of me really really likes that idea. Seems like a lot less hassle, though it does take some of the fun out of the hunt for the perfect sound (for me). As I mentioned in earlier posts I'm only using iTunes now since it makes it really easy to take my library with me in my car, etc...though i still can't stream it to Sonos. Is there anything like that for iTunes?

I realize staying in the Apple ecosystem has it's plusses and minuses, but so far the benefits outweigh the negatives for me at this point.

to setup tape monitor

rec out -> little dot analog in

Tape in -> little dot analog out

on the NAD press the tape monitor on to listen to the differences.

Good to hear the noise is less, the same length signal cables and AC cables will reduce the noise again, hopefully to low enough. Otherwise looking at filters which block 60Hz, is one method that's inexpensive. Other solutions are different DAC, intona, higher spec shielded RCA cables, but one thing at a time.

iTunes volume can be reduced a little, but for Mac Audirvana is very good, plays all manner of Apple format files.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

to setup tape monitor

rec out -> little dot analog in

Tape in -> little dot analog out

on the NAD press the tape monitor on to listen to the differences.

Good to hear the noise is less, the same length signal cables and AC cables will reduce the noise again, hopefully to low enough. Otherwise looking at filters which block 60Hz, is one method that's inexpensive. Other solutions are different DAC, intona, higher spec shielded RCA cables, but one thing at a time.

iTunes volume can be reduced a little, but for Mac Audirvana is very good, plays all manner of Apple format files.

@One and a half - Ok something is definitely going on here, and i'm even more confused. I set up the tape monitor per your instructions above now i get sound out of the Little Dot (and control the volume from there too) and nothing comes out of the NAD. HOWEVER, there is almost ZERO hum or crackle! And interestingly the soft clipping light on the NAD has now gone on, which hasn't happened before.

Maybe I should start over. And per the original intention of this thread, the thought of adding another component at this point is looking less exciting by the minute! : )

To discuss your amp's specifics really require study of its Owner's Manual, which I've downloaded and looked over.

Let's start with :

« SOFT CLIPPING: Enables NAD’s proprietary Soft Clipping circuitry on all channels. At [ON] position, Soft Clipping gently limits the output of the C 326BEE to minimize audible distortion should the ampli er be over-driven. Soft Clipping may simply be left ON at all times to reduce the likelihood of audible distortion from excessive volume settings. However, for critical listening and to preserve optimum dynamics, you may wish to defeat it by setting this switch to “OFF” position.

The SOFT CLIPPING indicator on the front panel will illuminate when the C 326BEE is in Soft Clipping mode. »

And of :

« TAPE MONITOR: Selects the output from a tape recorder when playing back tapes or monitor recordings being made through the TAPE OUT sockets in the rear panel. Press the TAPE MONITOR button once to select it and again to return to the normal input selection.

TAPE MONITOR does not override the current input selection. For example, if CD is the active input when TAPE MONITOR is selected, then the CD signal will continue to be selected and sent to the TAPE OUT sockets, but it is the sound from the recorder connected to TAPE IN that will be heard on the loudspeakers. Apart from the blue LED to indicate Tape Monitor is engaged, the blue LED for the active input will also stay lit. »

Maybe I should start over. And per the original intention of this thread, the thought of adding another component at this point is looking less exciting by the minute! : )

Ultimately, so, how would adding another component into your amplification setup likely sound ?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Sorry I have been a bit absent! I put the system back to the way I originally had it wired and added the two shielded power cables and plug them into the same outlet and it sounds even better than before! Thank you guys for your help and recommendations! I think I'm going to wait a while before adding another component! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile