IGNORED

Low profile CD Player or media server

From what's said so far, you've still a coax input on your V90 free, use any disc player (CD, DVD, Blu-ray) as transport into it to evaluate if you like that sound... :)

MusicalFidelityV90back.jpg

And I thought if you're using the Little Dot MKII Tube Preamp, you've bypassed NAD C326BEE's multiple inputs (connecting into its MAIN IN) ?

Innovative-Audio-NAD-C326BEE-back-left.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

You might find this funny, and this probably not the slickest way to set this up, but actually the way I have it hooked up is a straight line through. From my Macbook I have a USB to the DAC and using the output coax from the DAC to the the Little Dot MkII and another coax from the Little Dot MkII to the MP input on the NAD. It sounds great, and I know I'm skilling the actually Pre Inputs, but I wasn't quite sure the best way to hook that up.

As Wilhelm has said, the usual way to would be to connect the Little Dot to the Main In sockets on the amp. First you need to remove the bridges between the Pre Out and the Main In sockets (not shown in above photo). That way you avoid passing through two pre-amps.

BTW, there is a lot to be said for using a NAS for a media server. They consume little power, so you can leave them running 24/7 (unlike the Macbook), plus you can access your library from any device on your home network (or the internet for that matter).

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I've bypassed my Integrated's pre-amp-section before to (this may shock some) get BTL mode... Or (less controversially) to test whether I want relying essentially on the Variable Output function of my CD player :)

On mine it's connecting to P[ure] Direct sockets :

11S3back.jpg

Well, first switching-off your amps, I recommend you connect your Little Dot MKII's outputs to C326BEE's Main In and evaluate whether you like this shorter-signal-path method.

With music-reproduction-systems, I prefer simplicity, often stripping back to a two-piece, re-listening primarily to my favourite CDs, e.g. 2 of my setups :

tumblr_m06hcd2aIL1r32f81o1_1280.jpg

But I also understand the how and why of others, e.g. :

desk.jpg

desktop_4.jpg

«

an accurate picture

Incidentally' date=' if [i']dire misfortune[/i] strikes me, loosing all my collected Hi-Fi, to start again, I'd first audition the PCM-optimised Melody Media M-CR611 (MSRP $699)

Or, the-other-approach, auditioning the new MusicLink [HD-AMP1 + HD-CD1] two-piece

Concerning amplification, was reminded of this comparison flowchart (an insightful follow-up to what I said earlier) :

s07_800x600.jpg

«

an accurate picture

From what's said so far' date=' you've still a [i']coax[/i] input on your V90 free, use any disc player (CD, DVD, Blu-ray) as transport into it to evaluate if you like that sound... :)

MusicalFidelityV90back.jpg

And I thought if you're using the Little Dot MKII Tube Preamp, you've bypassed NAD C326BEE's multiple inputs (connecting into its MAIN IN) ?

I switched the input from MP to the Main, after removing the jumpers and now i'm not getting any sound from my NAD, on any of the inputs. I do get it from my Little Dot MKII, however. It seems now I've removed my NAD totally from the setup, which i don't want to do. I want to use my Little Dot as the preamp then go into the NAD and get the output (both the headphone and speakers) from there. What am I doing wrong?

I switched the input from MP to the Main, after removing the jumpers and now i'm not getting any sound from my NAD, on any of the inputs. I do get it from my Little Dot MKII, however. It seems now I've removed my NAD totally from the setup, which i don't want to do. I want to use my Little Dot as the preamp then go into the NAD and get the output (both the headphone and speakers) from there. What am I doing wrong?

I read your question, and looked at the photos. If you connect an external preamp's outputs to the mains input of the amplifier, of course none of the NAD's own preamp inputs will function, only the source that's plugged into your external preamp. Either I'm stating what is blatantly obvious, or I'm misconstruing your question.

I read your question, and looked at the photos. If you connect an external preamp's outputs to the mains input of the amplifier, of course none of the NAD's own preamp inputs will function, only the source that's plugged into your external preamp. Either I'm stating what is blatantly obvious, or I'm misconstruing your question.

WWALDMANFAN- Thank you for the tactful response : ) At this point I'm a little confused about what the most efficient setup would be. I thought everything was obvious, but clearly i am missing something. What would you (or another CA members) recommend as the best set up with my equipment?

WWALDMANFAN- Thank you for the tactful response : ) At this point I'm a little confused about what the most efficient setup would be. I thought everything was obvious, but clearly i am missing something. What would you (or another CA members) recommend as the best set up with my equipment?

I apologize if my response came off as snarky, I didn't mean it that way. I'm certainly not one of the smarter people here, but I try to be helpful if I can. I want to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

You have your music transport (CD player, computer, whatever) plugged into an external preamp, and then you had that plugged into one of the preamp inputs on your integrated amp, yes? Then you disconnected the NAD's preamp circuit from its power section, and plugged the external preamp directly into its "mains" input. Now you have no functionality from the NAD's preamp, only from the external preamp. So, I ask again, as politely as I can, what is your question?

aleisend seems to want his Little Dot MKII Tube Preamp in-the-way...

B.JPG

Thus' date=' I suggest [i']NAD C326BEE[/i]'s Pre Out to Little Dot's Input, Little Dot's Output to C326BEE's Main In

And it's up-to-him whether the resulting sound is any good

Yes! That is exactly what I want to do. I want to use the Little Dot as a preamp!

I trust most readers will know, what aleisend wants is akin to adding an Equalizer (flavour) to his amplification :

a7fd95e.gif

Well, turn your Little Dot to max volume after connecting—then forget about it, use your NAD for everything

Except where does my DAC fit into it? Do I just have the macbook pro go from the dac and the dac to the NAD?

«

an accurate picture

I trust most readers will know' date=' what [b']aleisend[/b] wants is akin to adding an Equalizer (flavour) to his amplification :

a7fd95e.gif

Well, turn your Little Dot to max volume after connecting—then forget about it, use your NAD for everything

That works! And I get the tube flavor through the NAD, as before, BUT with a cleaner path, correct? However, now I hear a hum through my speakers/headphones from what I guess is the Little Dot.

Except where does my DAC fit into it? Do I just have the macbook pro go from the dac and the dac to the NAD?

Yes, plug the computer into the DAC's digital input of your choice (USB or optical), and then plug the DAC into the CD inputs of the NAD.

Tube amps can potentially create noise issues (hum, hiss, static, microphonics). Make sure everything is plugged into the same duplex wall outlet, and that the power cords are separated from the analog interconnects as much as possible. Or, there may be an impedance issue, which is a bit above my pay grade here.

You've (somehow) ended up with a ground loop (which may not simply be the Little Dot) ?

Perhaps, first, try turning changing NAD's volume to 75% and subsequently control-the-volume with Little Dot.

Must say, this kinda setup isn't high-fidelity, it's more remixing (which can be just as enjoyable/fun) :D

That works! And I get the tube flavor through the NAD, as before, BUT with a cleaner path, correct? However, now I hear a hum through my speakers/headphones from what I guess is the Little Dot.

«

an accurate picture

You've (somehow) ended up with a ground loop (which may not simply be the Little Dot) ?

Perhaps' date=' first, try turning changing [i']NAD[/i]'s volume to 75% and subsequently control-the-volume with Little Dot.

Must say, this kinda setup isn't high-fidelity, it's more remixing (which can be just as enjoyable/fun) :D

I like messing around with stuff to find the sound I am happy with. It might be a bit Frankenstein-esque but I want to see what the tube preamp sounds like in the mix. Up until now I've been happy with the warmth the tubes have added but I'm not loving the hum.

How would i find the ground loop? I'll try messing with the volume knobs too and see if that does something.

What would the more "hi-if" approach be? Computer to DAC to Amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I like messing around with stuff to find the sound I am happy with. It might be a bit Frankenstein-esque but I want to see what the tube preamp sounds like in the mix. Up until now I've been happy with the warmth the tubes have added but I'm not loving the hum.

How would i find the ground loop? I'll try messing with the volume knobs too and see if that does something.

What would the more "hi-if" approach be? Computer to DAC to Amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

The conventional "hi-fi" approach is to alter what is coming from the music source as little as possible on its way to the speakers. If you're looking to add "tube warmth" or whatever, you are playing a somewhat different game. The path of least resistance for your setup is Macbook -> DAC -> Little Dot -> Main In on NAD. As you have noticed, this completely bypasses the NAD's pre-amp functions and turns it into a passive power amp of sorts. You should be able to control the volume from the Little Dot and I presume the Little Dot has a headphone out function. This should hopefully give you the tube warmth without the hum.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Of amplification especially, it's fair to say high-fidelity concerns maintaining signal-integrity.

Funnily, although Ken says simplicity is essential, he emphasises they design to have a sweeter, warmer midband because... :

[video=youtube;h_-aShUYDEo]

I've friends over, need also to think some more about advice for your ground loop issue, back later :)

«

an accurate picture

Well, I've spent some quality time listening to my revised set up, and I can definitely say it sounds a lot worse. The static and hum from the Little Dot is SUPER distracting. I turned off the Little Dot and sure enough the buzz/hum/crackle goes away. I'm tempted to go back to my old set up, putting the main/pre jumpers back and:

Macbook Pro -->(USB)-->DAC-->(RCA OUT)-->Little Dot MkII -->(RCA OUT)-->NAD CD/MP Input.

When the MacBookPro delivers USB to the V90, there's leakage voltage from the Mac's power supply that finds its way onto the shield of the USB cable. Don't worry, even $5000 USB cables have the same problem. This noise couples to the collar on the RCA connection to the amp as well as the little dot.

Further, there's a ground loop from the little dot to the amp, since the little dot is the first point where the RCA collar can be come grounded, and forming a loop to the NAD. This makes sense when the little dot is out of the loop, the noise goes and is not the problem of the little dot.

Ponder. The little dot and the amp needs to have the same AC receptacle as pointed out previously, like right next to one another, preferably the same AC cable length.

The little dot can be used in the tape monitor loop, so you can switch it in/out easy. To set the gain, play a 0db test file at the PC on endless loop, and compare the volume with another source on the amp. Not the most scientific, unless the NAD has a VU meter? Once set the volume is set and forget.

Keep all signal cables short, especially from the little dot to the amp.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

When the MacBookPro delivers USB to the V90, there's leakage voltage from the Mac's power supply that finds its way onto the shield of the USB cable. Don't worry, even $5000 USB cables have the same problem. This noise couples to the collar on the RCA connection to the amp as well as the little dot.

Further, there's a ground loop from the little dot to the amp, since the little dot is the first point where the RCA collar can be come grounded, and forming a loop to the NAD. This makes sense when the little dot is out of the loop, the noise goes and is not the problem of the little dot.

Ponder. The little dot and the amp needs to have the same AC receptacle as pointed out previously, like right next to one another, preferably the same AC cable length.

The little dot can be used in the tape monitor loop, so you can switch it in/out easy. To set the gain, play a 0db test file at the PC on endless loop, and compare the volume with another source on the amp. Not the most scientific, unless the NAD has a VU meter? Once set the volume is set and forget.

Keep all signal cables short, especially from the little dot to the amp.

Wow @One and a half- that seems like a relatively logical and easy fix. I'll try it and get back to you! Thank you for the advice!

I'm tempted to go back to my old set up, putting the main/pre jumpers back and:

Macbook Pro -->(USB)-->DAC-->(RCA OUT)-->Little Dot MkII -->(RCA OUT)-->NAD CD/MP Input.

Yes, take One and a half's advice.

What I do is plug all the components, as well as the laptop's SMPS, into a decent-quality power strip using these line cords--better than the skinny OEM power cords that come with amps, but still inexpensive, and more than adequate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBYRBCS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

...and then put it back the way it was before. There's no reason no to do that if it sounds good.

The only rule here is to do what sounds best, not obsess about your equipment unnecessarily, and just enjoy the music.