IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

10 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

In other words, the secret sauce may be in a separate chip or circuit board not the common Sony BD optical unit.

Thus I very likely will have to disassemble the replacement part I have, extract the laser pick-up assembly portion, and transplant it into the existing drive mechanism, assuming the new part is fully swappable with the existing.

Also assuming that's the only thing wrong with it in the first place, apparently the laser can be rendered inoperable by a bad electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, which is easy to see and fix. I'm very much hoping it is something stupid easy like that and I don't have to take apart the disc drive at all.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

10 hours ago, mindset said:

Here is what I got from players I have:

BDP-S390: MT8551KAAG

BDP-S590: MT8560EAAG

BDP-S1100: MT8552DAAU

BDP-S5100: MT8560EAAG

BDP-S6200: MT8580DJAG

BDP-S6500: MT8580DJAG

BDP-S6700: MT8580DJAG

So that right there is actual proof this exploit is not necessarily limited to machines with the MT8560 and 8580 SoC then, no?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, loadam59 said:

Did you have the Super Quick Start Mode ON ?

The led on your usb key should be blinking when you insert it 😎

I think in my menu it's just called "Quick Start" as with the other Sony models.

I don't remember seeing anything about a Super Quick Start mode (did I miss something there)? My S7200 is on Software Version M21.R.0180, I think that's current as I didn't get a notification of any available updates.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

15 hours ago, loadam59 said:

The led on your usb key should be blinking when you insert it 😎

The LED does blink and I figured out what was going wrong, I was waiting too long at which point the AutoScript wants to reopen the disc tray.

So with the S7200, once the machine is put to sleep and the thumb drive then inserted, you have only a second or two once that thumb drive LED indicates activity to hit the Run button in the GUI to execute the rip. If you wait any longer than that, then the disc tray reopens.

So for using the Sleep-server method on the S6200/7200, it makes sense to edit out the line in the script that opens the disc tray as you don't want that happening after sleeping the machine.

How do I edit out that line?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

6 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

In a Mac, use a reputable text editor program.

With macOS the native/venerable TextEdit application gets the job done without issue, it does not try to change the existing .TSS file extension.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

5 minutes ago, Dick Darlington said:

My first clue that something was going on with non visible characters was when I noticed subtle differences in file sizes. A file edited on the Mac appearing to have the exact same contents as a working one had slightly fewer characters which led me to looking at the EOL markers. What I found was that of the three varieties, the Mac/Unix LF did not work whereas both the DOS CR and the “Mac classic” CR did. 

Thank you for that explanation, I had to this point only deleted that line that opens the drawer and so would not have known anything other than that worked in TextEdit.

Now if I give the script referenced by @loadam59 above, I'll know to copy/paste/edit an existing line rather than actually hit Return and start a whole new line.

Is there any text editor available for Mac that will behave properly?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

On 3/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Nexus3 said:

Please test the new (shortened) scripts and comment on them!

I used the Sony S7200 to test both A2 and A3 tonight with no luck. Interesting results however.

First I tried the A2 AutoRip script as described in the previous post in awake-mode. After inserting the thumb drive with the unit ON/awake, the disc tray only opens about 1/4 of the way and then immediately closes again. It never fully opens and so there is no chance of even loading a disc.

Next I tried the A3 AutoRip script in sleep-mode as described in the previous post. After inserting the flash drive with the player OFF/sleeping, the tray opens and a disc is loaded, however the tray only then automatically closes about 1/4 of the way before reversing course and fully reopening.

I guess I'd like to ask/confirm what exactly should be in the folder for doing AutoRip, i.e. is it just two items or are there 3 total as with the standard AutoScript? A clarification about exactly how many items, and what they are called, and their contents would help me understand if I'm even doing this right.

Thank you and goodnight from NY.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

7 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Using a Sony requires just one additional step from what you were doing with your previous Oppo.

Thats right, really a negligible difference, not worth worrying about in comparison to use of the other player brands. This is especially true when considering the cost/availability advantage of the Sonys.

In fact it's no real difference at all when using the sleep-server method, amounting to the pressing of the Power OFF button to close the disc tray instead of the open/close button (end of difference).

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

7 minutes ago, Waynefi said:

Is there any reason that in this case the S390 won't work for some reason ?

There is no reason, that model simply works, however it is the bottom of the line known-working Sony. Perhaps a little patience would yield an S590 or 790 which have somewhat superior build quality, or the 2013 model year S5100/BX510 for instance, all of which have the added feature of an LED display that gives some visual feedback as to what is happening when you initiate a rip.

The S390 is fine, but lacking any front panel display, you are left to just carefully follow instructions and not get any visual indication as to what is happening. Not a huge thing, but it's the main reason I just leave my S390 in reserve and use one of the other Sony models, I like the front panel display feedback.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

18 minutes ago, ady_lister said:

Should anything else be on my USB apart from the Autoscript and the sacdextract_160?

I had the .TSS file on / off but got same results, so I took it off.  If I need the .TSS file on, what should be on it?

All of the above needs to be inside an enclosing folder called AutoScript.

That enclosing folder called AutoScript needs to reside at the root level of the USB thumb drive.

In Windows 10 it looks like this:

AutoScript-Win10.thumb.jpg.e571579e912bbd7e980d17bf75ad4088.jpg

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

12 minutes ago, ady_lister said:

Thanks, Ok so I do need the .TSS

Ok done that.

So you have the enclosing folder called AutoScript now?

If so, you need to do a full power cycle, which means power OFF with the thumb drive removed, pull/replace the AC power cord, power ON and wait for the initial boot sequence, then insert USB thumb drive and proceed with the rip sequence.

Also ensure that ISO2DSD was fully restarted, and never use the Quit button to quit that program as it definitely causes issues, close the program via the red X at the upper right-hand corner of the window.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

28 minutes ago, ady_lister said:

I followed the advice to change that line to 'telnetd'.

If you are using ISO2DSD, and the stereo/multichannel toggle, that means you are not using Telnet at all, you are using the server method.

I don't then know why you are changing the script with regard to things that only apply to using Telnet, but I'd be willing to bet that script is now broken. For instance, you probably tried to poke around inside the middle file, and I can see that Windows has now deleted the .TSS file extension.

Rather than guess at it, wipe your thumb drive clean and place a new enclosing folder called AutoScript on it with freshly downloaded contents. Then, power cycle the machine again and proceed with the rip sequence.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Dick Darlington said:

Actually only one AutoScript file is necessary. The Sony players don’t care if it’s the .TSS or the sans extension one. I have never tested to determine which is dominant if both are present. The Oppo players don’t recognize the script unless it has the .TSS extension. No clue about the Pioneers.  My guess is they’re the opposite of the Oppo and only recognize the extensionless script. 

Interesting, I have always just left that download package intact/as is and never tried to eliminate any portion of it.

Tough to say then what exactly was going wrong in today's problem case, I wasn't actually suggesting it was the lack of the .TSS file extension, just simply that was a clue or indication displayed in his screen shot that the user had been poking around in the scripts, and thus all bets were off on any errant keystrokes or other changes having broken them.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

24 minutes ago, Waynefi said:

Embarrassed to say I am lost. I wanted to try this tonight.

What program did you use with the Oppo or for that matter do you plan to use with the Sony with the server method, ISO2DSD?

Do I need to delete those few files that were put on for the OPPO ?

Yes, wipe the USB thumb drive of the files for the Oppo, they won't work with a Sony Blu-ray player.

I got the Sony server method instructions from Phthalocyanine, but understand most of the instructions, but am stuck on what and where I have to load some initial folder/files on the PC, and what to put on the USB.

The USB thumb drive needs the Pioneer-Sony script found here, however you need to be sure you actually have an enclosing folder called AutoScript. For some reason (especially on Windows) the DropBox web interface seems to yield the folder's contents and discard the actual enclosing folder, that enclosing folder is needed in all cases.

Try this:

DropBox.jpg.f7433ac11280e4c8caf93411acbc384b.jpg

If you only get the contents and not the enclosing folder, create an enclosing folder called AutoScript and place the downloaded contents into it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

26 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I thought the Mark I was based on the Oppo 93/95

It is and so very likely incompatible, as with the Cambridge 751BD.

For reference, the chipset is described as the Mediatek MTK8530.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Phthalocyanine said:

Yes but I thought recent research here had determined that it was the kernel type 2.6.35  that was the most important thing not the particular Mediatek MTK number.

Thats right and the Sony S390 for instance does not use either the MT8560 or 8580 that were once thought to be the only compatible CPUs.

The MT8530 found in the BDP-93/751BD, and BD32 Mk. I hails from Oct. 2009. The kernel version 2.6.35 debuted in Aug. 2010, so not impossible that a firmware update could have occurred that utilized the newer kernel version on those slightly older machines. I don't know if the disc player manufacturer would have relied on Mediatek for such an update, or if they would have been expected to develop that themselves (likely).

I think I saw a reference on the AVS Forum to this older era of machine using kernel version 2.6.27 which debuted in Oct. 2008, but who knows if that's actually the case, or if I'm even remembering that right.

I also saw a reference in that same thread to the Oppo 93/95 units using some sort of a special version of that Mediatek chip, called the OP8531.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

23 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

Is there anyone eager to comment on / second the following proposal?

I second that proposal, there are Oppo BDP-93/5, Cambridge 751BD, and Primare BD32 Mk.I owners that can benefit.

I certainly lack the technical knowledge necessary to verbalize the exact task at hand however.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook