IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

37 minutes ago, Linefader said:

Is anybody else playing the multi-channel files? I have just configured JRiver (on a Mac) for use with an exaSound e38 DAC (according to the instructions on the exaSound Web site) and I have some difficulties with playing 5.1 channel DSFs.

1) Occasionally, I have audio dropouts, even for DSF-sources from the local harddisk (i.e. it's not a network latency problem). Should I fine-tune the JRiver buffering somehow?

2) I am also not sure, if I did the channel-to-speaker mapping correctly in the Audio Midi Setup, on the Mac. Of course, channel 1 is the left front speaker and channel 2 is the right front speaker - but what are the correct channel numbers for the center, the rear speakers and the subwoofer?

It would be much better to raise such queries on the dedicated JRiver forum at https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/

That forum is very active and has a large number of experienced JRiver users willing to offer assistance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, moosehunt said:

Hello, Thanks to everybody who helped with this. I successfully ripped 8 SACDs using a Sony S100 player, but after the 8th rip, now all i get is the following error in ISO2DSD.

Response result non-zero or disc opened
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.169:2002 for reading

Has anybody encountered this? I can't figure out anything that would have changed. Thank you for the help!

I'm not familiar with this Sony player, but if its network connection is configured to use an IP address that is automatically allocated by your router via DHCP then perhaps some recent network update has caused that address to have been changed. In other words, 192.168.1.169 may no longer be the correct address for your player.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, David_B said:

I am just about to start this process. Here's my question, regarding these instructions:

• The download location should be a new folder in the ROOT of your chosen drive*. This is important, as it is common for rips to fail without explanation due to excessively long path names (The file name for each track is taken from the metadata stored on the SACD, over which you have no control. Such file names can be very long, especially for classical music). For the same reason, the folder name should be short, e.g. SACD. Naming the folder as ‘SACD’ also makes sense, as ISO2DSD always stores rips in subfolders within its own folder (you can’t change this behaviour).

My question is -- are we supposed to download the entire zip file (unzipped) to the c drive, or all the unzipped files, or just some of the fiels? And yes i know it needs to go to a folder I've created in the c drive. I'll probably just name it SACD, since I'm so very creative like that. ;)

That specific instruction is only related to the downloading of ISO2DSD, not the AutoScript.zip file.

54 minutes ago, David_B said:

So, I  drag all the unzipped files to my root drive? Or just the ISO2DSD app file?

It doesn't matter where you initially store the unzipped AutoScript.zip files. What does matter is how you then transfer them to a USB memory stick. That is fully described in my procedure.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, David_B said:

I'm am so almost there with this. Problem I think I've run into is the IP address part. I opened up the Sonore to put the IP address in, which I got off the OPPO (103) as being 192.168.1.75 I put that in the fields, but then, there was a number already of 2002 on the far right, after a colon :  I had accidentally erased it first, but then put it back in. Anyway, I've done something wrong since it won't execute. Suggestions please!

Your address/port setting on ISO2DSD should be 192.168.1.75 : 2002

There can also be problems if the Oppo's address is set automatically by your router via DHCP. Under some circumstances, that address can change, which means that ISO2DSD would then be looking for the wrong address. It is usually best to adjust your router settings so that the Oppo has a fixed IP address.

If the Oppo's network setting still shows that IP address, then that is not the cause of your current problem.

Are you using my Oppo-related instructions, as linked on page 1 of this thread? Those instructions work for me, but the devil is in the detail. Get the smallest thing wrong and it will probably fail. I suggest that you double check each step of your process. 

4 hours ago, tmtomh said:

In my experience the Oppos don't display ABCDEFGH, and you don't need to be able to open a telnet session for it to work. I am unable to telnet into my Oppo or ping it (though I can of course see it on the network) - but SACD ripping still works fine using the server method.

I never use telnet, but you should normally have no problem pinging your Oppo to confirm that the network connection is working. It always works for me if I'm using the correct IP address.

26 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Okay. When you guys rip your SACD discs, are you ending up with individual tracks that make up albums that can be easily added to Roon with appropriate metadata? What kind of files do you end with?

If I wanted quality SACD playback and be able to rip SACD discs, is there a consensus “must” buy player?

Thanks!

Ripping to DSF files is the best option, as this file format allows the storage of metadata.

If you have chosen to rip your SACDs, then the disc player used for the ripping process does not have to be involved in the playback process. I use an old Oppo player for ripping, but play the ripped DSF files via a higher quality Naim streamer.

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

As I've posted many times, as have others, it is not advisable to use precious spinning life to rip to anything but ISOs.  Save the players for ISO rip only, and use a computer to then extract to DSF (via things like ISO2DSF).  Also, ripping to ISOs means you never have to rip again, cuz ISOs contain both 2 channel and (if available) multichannel content, and are perfect for archiving.

Hi Ted,
I don't follow every debate in this thread and thus missed all previous recommendations to rip to an ISO file rather than my current habit of ripping direct to DSFs. Your post prompted me to test your alternative method. I have just completed ripping the same SACD three times and these were the results:

Extract stereo DSFs - 7mins

Extract multi-channel DSFs - 15 mins

Total time - 22 mins

Extract ISO - 18 mins

(It then took another 15 mins to extract all the DSFs from the ISO)

The saving in this example was a relatively modest 4 mins. People can make up their own minds if an 18% saving in wear and tear on their SACD player is worth having, despite a noticeable increase in the overall ripping time. The size of your collection and the usefulness of the ISOs are likely to affect your choice of process.

In my own case, I don't have a large collection of SACDs and only buy new SACDs at a rate of no more than one per month, so I'm not too worried about wearing out my Oppo. I also have no need for ISO files, as I generate multiple backup copies of my DSFs, complete with all their metadata (I also still have all the original SACDs).

35 minutes ago, Lillapepe said:

Hi Guys, can somebody post the right autoscript to download so i can rip sacd on oppo 105?

I've been trying for a few days now and it crazy how many times i tried and all i get is the same message, failed to connect...my ip address. i read that the autoscript from sonar does not work but i can't find the other autoscript. maybe is something else that i am doing wrong, who knows.

thank you in advance

If you check out my Oppo-based ripping procedure, which is linked on the first page of this thread, you will find the download link for the correct version of the autoscript file.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, beniciolong said:

Hi there everyone

I wondered if anyone knows of a service in the UK that would rip a few SACDs to ISO?

I just ordered a 3xSACD set from Esoteric in Japan that I’d love to get ripped but the kind fellow who has helped me in the past is having technical issues with his player.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Ben

I have PM'd you. I might be able to help if you live anywhere near Southampton.

3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

You guys in the U.K are lucky.  Here in the U.S. offering to do such a thing may bring the gendarmes down on you.

I must confess that I rather naively gave no thought to the legal aspects of offering to rip 3 SACDs as a favour to another contributor to this forum. My assumption is that almost everyone here is ripping their own discs for playback convenience, but retaining them as proof of ownership and for backup (as I do). I've no idea what UK law says on this subject, but no one is losing out in this scenario, so I think it very unlikely that anyone is going to sue me. This is totally different from copying a disc to pass on to another person who has not bought that recording. That is simply stealing - and I have pretty strong views about those who steal from musicians and their record companies. 

However, I accept that the situation is not quite so clear if I assist someone else to rip their own discs. For example, I would have to be totally certain that they had no intention of ever selling the original discs after ripping. Perhaps it would be wiser if I suppressed my natural instincts to be helpful ....         

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 3:24 PM, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

I agree with Kal, especially with stereo + Mch classical albums that can exceed FAT32's 4 Gig limit on USB thumb drive.  When you have ripped thousands of such albums, as he and I have, you absolutely do not want to be piecing those ISO file fragments back together.

Besides, ISO2DSD is a piece of cake.  All it needs is the IP address, and you are good to go.

Your post implies that rips generated by ISO2DSD are initially stored on the USB thumb drive containing the AutoScript files before being copied to the ISO2DSD folder on your computer (something I never previously considered).

Does this apply when you use ISO2DSD to rip SACDs to DSF files rather than ISO files? If so, what would you reckon should be the minimum capacity of the thumb drive?

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, eBoy said:

Where can I download the AutoScriptSACD folder containing sacd_extract_160?

I already downloaded sacd_extract from the document written by Haggis999.

Im not sure if sacd_extract in this folder works or sacd_extract_160 is better?

I got Sony BDP-S490 and Telnet working.

In Telnet mode I got this error:

?

My document was specifically written for those using the Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105. The links are not relevant for use with Sony kit.

7 hours ago, mindset said:

This was just released at https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI/releases

Please note that this doesn't come with a sacd_extract executable, and is meant for sacd_extract@setmind (https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper) NOT the original by mrwicked.

SACDExtractGUI.jar is the Java executable.  If it cannot be invoked from the OS GUI, try this in the terminal:

java -jar SACDExtractGUI.jar

At minimum, you need to specify path to the sacd_extract (sacd_extract.exe for Windows) program at the top of the GUI. I believe the rest is pretty much self-explainable.

I know nothing about Github or Java, but I am attempting to compile SACDExtractGUI using CMake for Windows. Unfortunately, it fails with the following error. Where do I find the missing CMakeLists.txt file?

CMake Error: The source directory "C:/Users/haggis999/Downloads/SACDExtractGUI" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.

22 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

It looks like there are three downloads in the 'releases' path, 'SACDExtractGUI.zip' contains just a compiled Java .jar file. According to the README.md file, you can run the program with from the command line like this

java -jar SACDExtractGUI.jar

I hadn't noticed that a .jar had been provided in that zip file. Clicking on the .jar file opens up SACDExtractGUI in Windows, so it doesn't look like I need to worry about compiling it after all!

Where can I download the new version of SACD

9 hours ago, mindset said:

This was just released at https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI/releases

Please note that this doesn't come with a sacd_extract executable, and is meant for sacd_extract@setmind (https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper) NOT the original by mrwicked.

The Github link quoted above for the new version of sacd_extract just leaves me scratching my head (I have zero knowledge of Github). How do I actually download this file?

5 hours ago, Richard Dale said:

You need to have git installed as well as developer tools like a gcc compiler, and then you can type this from the command line:

git clone https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper.git

Then enter the tools directory:

cd sacd-ripper/tools

Then type

cmake .

make

The CMakeLIsts.txt file doesn't have an install target, and so the 'sacd_extract' executable that is built may need to be copied somewhere convenient where the Java program expects to find it. Although it looks as though the Java program has a dialog to find the sacd_extract file in the file system in the sacd-ripper/tools directory where you built it.

Many thanks for your help on this, Richard. It is much appreciated.

I have installed git and the TDM-GCC MinGW Compiler. Your first command line instruction appears to have successfully completed a cloning into 'sacd-ripper' operation, but I'm stuck on your next instruction (after cd sacd-ripper/tools). Did you really mean to add a space and a period after cmake? However, whether or not I include those characters, I get the same error message, as follows:

'cmake' is not recognosed as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Where do I go from here?

21 minutes ago, mindset said:

I assume you are trying to compile sacd_extract@setmind on Windows.  If you are using Windows 10, I would recommend using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) which provides Linux environment on Windows.  Native Linux is fine, too. 

The compilation instruction is meant for Linux, and getting a tool chain lined up in Windows for a program like this is not very straight forward.

I've now enabled the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" optional feature of Windows 10. Do I also need to install one of the several varieties of Linux? If so, which one would you recommend? How do I then open the appropriate command line interface?

12 minutes ago, mindset said:

Great.  I believe you have to install one of the Linux distributions.  I use Ubuntu both on WSL and native.  You should get an icon to enter the command line interface after installing it.

OK. Ubuntu is now installed, but when I tried running cmake I got the following response.

Command 'cmake' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install cmake

I gave that a try, but this prompted the following error messages.

E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/1/linux/linux-libc-dev_4.15.0-29.31_amd64.deb 404 Not found [IP:  .....]

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Needless to say, this is all gobbledegook to a non-Linux person like me, so some more hand holding would be appreciated.

23 minutes ago, mindset said:

Try this:

sudo apt update

This updates the pointer to package repositories to the latest one.

Running that update process, followed by sudo apt install cmake, resolved those problems. Thanks for that, but now I need some guidance on how to use cmake under Ubuntu (just running cmake without any parameters does nothing useful). 

EDIT:  I have also followed Richard's advice to run 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.

17 minutes ago, mindset said:

I believe you are trying to compile an executable for Windows.  In that case follow the instruction around the end of https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper/blob/master/readme.rst .  It is expected that cmake does nothing if you don't pass any parameter.   libiconv mentioned in the instruction is here https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libiconv/

EDIT: This one is a better instruction: https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper/wiki#windows-using-native-linux-or-windows-subsystem-for-linux

I am indeed wanting to create an executable that will run under Windows. Just to be certain, are you suggesting that I follow the detailed instructions that begin as follows:

Windows (using native Linux or Windows Subsystem for Linux)

Install Mingw-w64 and cmake (if not done yet)

In the hope that I am doing the right thing, I have proceeded with the above-mentioned instructions. I have reached the point where I run 'make' for libiconv. This has now completed, with several purple warning messages that have now scrolled off the Ubuntu screen, but there were also the following errors near the end. Note that haggis999 is my Ubuntu username.

libtool:  error: Could not determine the host path corresponding to

libtool:  error:   '/home/haggis999/libiconv-1.15/lib/.libs'

libtool:  error: Continuing, but uninstalled executables may not work. 

libtool:  error: Could not determine the host path corresponding to 

libtool:  error:   '/home/haggis999/libiconv-1.15/lib/.libs:/usr/x86_64-w64-ming32/lib:/usr/x86_64-w64-ming32/bin'

libtool:  error:  Continuing, but uninstalled executables may not work.

EDIT:  I did try continuing with the instructions, but the compilation of sacd_extract was terminated with a fatal error:

iconv.h: No such file or directory

8 hours ago, mindset said:

That error with iconv.h makes me think that you might have skipped "sudo make install" for libiconv.

I left my PC running all night, so that my Ubuntu session remained active. This let me use the cursor up/down keys this morning to scroll through my previous commands. All the steps relating to getting, compiling and installing libiconv were present and correct, including 'sudo make install'.

EDIT:  Wouldn't it be much easier to just provide download links for a suitably compiled version of sacd_extract.exe for Windows, Mac, etc?