IGNORED

Connecting NAS to PC via ethernet

I recently purchased a Thecus 5200B Pro NAS that I want to connect to a Dell laptop via ethernet cable. I would rather avoid connecting the NAS to a router which in turn connects to the Dell, as the NAS will not be accessed from anywhere else apart from the laptop.

I was wondering - is it possible to connect the NAS direct to the ethernet port of the laptop via ethernet cable? I tried connecting it to my desktop; the desktop recognises the LAN, though when I type the IP address into my browser, I cannot connect to it.

Any thoughts appreciated!

D.

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hi Dan,

What you need is a cross cable.

A standard cable has the cores connected to the same pins at both ends .. that means the "talk" pin is connected to the "talk" pin at the other end and the "listen" pin is connected to the "listen" pin at the other end.

The "listen" pins will hear nothing and the "talk" pins will shout to eachother but there is nobody to listen ... that is why nothing will happen but the computer recognises that there is a cable attached.

Cross cable will twist the "talk" and " listen" at one end so now both sides can talk and listen to eachother.

A switch or router takes care of the correct routing of the signals and modern units will even recognise a standard or crossed cable and act accordingly.

Oystein

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Just to further Chris's comments, you need to make sure that the IP addresses you give to the NAS and your Laptop's wired ethernet are outside the range used for your router.

Most routers are set to use addresses in the 192.168.x.x range ... there for it's best to use an alternative private address range ... a good suggestion would be to use 10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.2 with the Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Hope this helps ...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 5 weeks later...