IGNORED

SD card backup for microRendu

Since the microRendu won't operate if the SD card fails, I consider it prudent to have a backup copy and somewhat

of a fail in product support for backup instructions not to be included. Running Windows 10 made it a bit more of a challenge for me since MS

is essentially trying to dumb everything down to a smartphone support level and the first native windows copy program I tried failed.

I tried the program below since it was unaffected by Win OS to copy the source image from the factory image on the 8gb class 4 card

to a 32gb class 10 sd card. Worked fine, using the backup now as I was curious if a class 10 card would yield any improvement

Given how easy it could be to make a mistake and overwrite the wrong card when both are same size, my suggestion would be to use

a 16gb or 32 gb card for your backup as sd cards are cheap and it would be hard to make a mistake when the cards differ in size. Note that

this is an exact image copy so you will not be using any space greater than the original.

HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Since the microRendu won't operate if the SD card fails, I consider it prudent to have a backup copy and somewhat

of a fail in product support for backup instructions not to be included. Running Windows 10 made it a bit more of a challenge for me since MS

is essentially trying to dumb everything down to a smartphone support level and the first native windows copy program I tried failed.

I tried the program below since it was unaffected by Win OS to copy the source image from the factory image on the 8gb class 4 card

to a 32gb class 10 sd card. Worked fine, using the backup now as I was curious if a class 10 card would yield any improvement

Given how easy it could be to make a mistake and overwrite the wrong card when both are same size, my suggestion would be to use

a 16gb or 32 gb card for your backup as sd cards are cheap and it would be hard to make a mistake when the cards differ in size. Note that

this is an exact image copy so you will not be using any space greater than the original.

HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool

david - have you tried posting on Sonore's forum in CA? I know Jesus recently said he didn't want users "messing" with the SD cards, but I agree with you that some sort of backup provision should be available. Maybe Sonore intends to provide another SD when needed, or maybe a download onto a new SD. - David

david - have you tried posting on Sonore's forum in CA? I know Jesus recently said he didn't want users "messing" with the SD cards, but I agree with you that some sort of backup provision should be available. Maybe Sonore intends to provide another SD when needed, or maybe a download onto a new SD. - David

Jesus deleted the comments about SD copying so seemed futile to post where Sonore could censor again. Would be nice if they posted what their intended support is in event of an SD card failure.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 4 months later...

What hardware do you use for making the backup SD card? I've never worked with this format. And is there a specific size/type of card? I gather this is a micro SD type. And the device connection for read/write is USB?

Reason I ask is that I experienced a failure the other day when updating the software on my microRendu. Jesus is sending another card in the mail. But that means no music for awhile. Not happy, to say the least.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates