IGNORED

How can I send audio from one DAC to multiple audio sytems in different rooms?

I have 3 different stereo setups in 3 different rooms. Any way to send audio from my favorite DAC to each room?

Now, I just move portable hardrive from room to room......

Gallo Ref 3.5 < Velodyne DD15 < Parasound A21 < Gallo Ref SA < Metric Halo LIO-8 < Mac Mini < Decibel and Audirvana < Pro-ject 9.1 w/ Grado Statement Master

OK,

So a microrendu for each room with ethernet connection to each room?

Sorry for my limited understanding of the Server Model....

Thanks for your help!

Gallo Ref 3.5 < Velodyne DD15 < Parasound A21 < Gallo Ref SA < Metric Halo LIO-8 < Mac Mini < Decibel and Audirvana < Pro-ject 9.1 w/ Grado Statement Master

Wouldn't the output of the renderer still need to go into a DAC?

Yes, but since OP is currently moving a hard drive from system to system he must already have some sort of DAC available at each.

So a microrendu for each room with ethernet connection to each room?

Yes, ethernet or powerline in each room. Use server software such as Logitech Media Server or Roon. Control playback using a smartphone or tablet.

OK,

But to clarify.

Can a Server send audio to each of the 3 rooms while only using 1 DAC?

I'm using a similar setup, Synology NAS as server, and multiple endpoints like DAC, AVR, CCA, Pi, wireless speakers, etc. I'm doing it to 6 rooms, and the patio... so a total of 7 locations at home, and then out of home streaming too.

OK,

But to clarify.

Nope, not unless you want to pull audio cables from the DAC to each amp... and even then most DACs have only one output or 2 at the most... so not really an option unless you want to introduce splitters and more complications.

The solution is to go for multiple DACs and keep the best for the main rig where you do the bulk of your listening. I'm using 3 AVRs... most of them these days come with excellent DAC chips and are pretty good for stereo too... or look at cheaper DACs from Schiit, SMSL, Peachtree Audio, etc. Lots of excellent DACs at the budget end too and all I've mentioned I've personally used/or am using.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

OK,

But to clarify.

It could be done using a personal FM transmitter and FM receivers in each room, but you would likely get a much better result transmitting over WiFi (digitally) with something like a Chromecast Audio and a DAC in each room (like a Dragonfly or one of the DACs suggested by master). Even using the Chromecast's onboard DAC would probably yield a better result than using FM.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

It could be done using a personal FM transmitter and FM receivers in each room, but you would likely get a much better result transmitting over WiFi (digitally) with something like a Chromecast Audio and a DAC in each room (like a Dragonfly or one of the DACs suggested by master). Even using the Chromecast's onboard DAC would probably yield a better result than using FM.

Oops, I forgot, you can only use a DAC with optical input with a Chromecast.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

We recently moved. The main system was kept securely pack while we were setting up the new place. Needing tunes, I bought 3 Chromecast Audio toasters. I unpacked my Zuma, which has much of my music on it. I installed BubbleUPnP, which found the Chromecasts, and thus JRiver could send audio to each. Each Chromecast was hooked to a set of self powered speakers. Viola! Music (of sorts) all around the house.

I was so impressed that once I set up the main rig with my DAC feeding my MA6600, I decided to try using the Zuma to send tunes to the Chromecast, which fed the DAC via toslink. Limited to 24/96, but the result was damn good! Even using the Chromecasts own DAC and going directly to the integrated amp wasn't bad.

So, what I would do is give one of these $35 toasters a try, along with an inexpensive DAC that accepts toslink, or, if the destination doesn't require high SQ, just use the DAC inside the Chromecast. Easy peezie.

JJinPDX