IGNORED

New Smartphone section??

Is anyone interested in a subforum that would discuss new smart phones. I ask due to the fact that some, not all, phones are capable of 24/192 flac or wave files. Add to this, again some phones are using micro-SD cards for up to 200gig storage. Yes, I'm shopping for a new phone and as Apple has little or no interest in high res audio am looking at other brands.

greyscale

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

Agree if we would include Digital Audio Players like Astell&Kern, Fiio, Calyx, Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1 (with MQA support) and other portable players here as they offer similar features for audiophile & audio users.

You can play hires files from iPhone using software such as Neutron or the Onkyo player.

Yes, +1 on the sub forum for portable players.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Yes, I would be a +1 on this.

Lots to be learned here I think. I have used two android phones and compared Onkyo HF player to Rockit. In both cases Rockit gave better measured performance than Onkyo HF player. I need to look at this sort of thing a bit more when I get more free time.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Get a Samsung Android phone. There's a lot of really good music players for it. High res is no problem, and you can use it with an external dac that has usb input. I have a AQ Dragonfly that I use with mine, but it should work with most dacs.

Some good players are: Neutron, USB Player Pro, Player Pro, Poweramp, Onkyo, Rockit, Black Player, N7.

Get a Samsung Android phone. There's a lot of really good music players for it. High res is no problem, and you can use it with an external dac that has usb input. I have a AQ Dragonfly that I use with mine, but it should work with most dacs.

Some good players are: Neutron, USB Player Pro, Player Pro, Poweramp, Onkyo, Rockit, Black Player, N7.

One of the two phones I used was a Samsung phone. A Galaxy III. Black player I was expecting good things from. I need to delve into it further, but it gave even worse results than Rockit or Onkyo.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

One of the two phones I used was a Samsung phone. A Galaxy III. Black player I was expecting good things from. I need to delve into it further, but it gave even worse results than Rockit or Onkyo.

Its an OK player, but you can do better. I have all of them because they're so cheap its really no big deal to try them. My favorite player for user interface, by far is Player Pro. For using an external dac, Neutron is a popular choice, along with Onkyo. I just found about USB Audio Player Pro. I know that some people feel that its the absolute best one. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to make any comments on it. All I can say is that when I use my device for portable/casual listening, my finger usually finds the Player Pro Icon over all the other ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You for all suggestions. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7. Love it. much faster then my Iphone5.

Yes, I do miss some of the Apple only apps, but, I'll have to find alternatives for some of these.

Also, it's nice to use a phone without looking like I'm eating a slice of pizza;>). Have a micro sd card on order. Will load up some hires stuff and listen soon.

greyscale

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

Thank You for all suggestions. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S7. Love it. much faster then my Iphone5.

Yes, I do miss some of the Apple only apps, but, I'll have to find alternatives for some of these.

Also, it's nice to use a phone without looking like I'm eating a slice of pizza;>). Have a micro sd card on order. Will load up some hires stuff and listen soon.

greyscale

If you're talking about apps for audio, I think you'll be very pleased with the selection for Android. More than enough choices.

Android hi-res phone users: I highly recommend checking out PowerAmp's new V3 alpha. Downloads - Poweramp

List of devices known to work (2nd post) List of Android Devices with Hi-Res Audio Support (Internal DAC) - Poweramp v3 Testing - Poweramp

Using my LG V10 (ESS Sabre) with the player set to use the new hi-res output engine, direct volume control enabled, SOX upsampling to 192k and tone/eq/limit disabled I'm getting some of the best sound I've heard from a portable device. Reminds me quite a bit of what I got using the iFi iDSD Nano with my phone in the past, maybe a little more detailed. I've tried USB Audio Player Pro, Onkyo HF Player and Neutron, best experience yet.

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup