IGNORED

Audirvana Direct Mode?

jolon

What is your opinion of A+ Direct Mode?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Folks have different systems and will hear and like different things. I prefer the sound with Direct Mode, but that's just me.

(Direct Mode is essentially a custom "audiophile" driver Damien coded to take the place of the OS X Core Audio driver.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'd like to try it, but Exasound e-22 will have no part of it. I get "Error unable to start device in Direct Mode OSError = dmod" .

You need the latest version of A+. Otherwise you get that error with the new El Cap.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 9 months later...

From others' problems it should be evident: Please don't do this unless you know *exactly* what you are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

From others' problems it should be evident: Please don't do this unless you know *exactly* what you are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

This was a shorter way of saying the following: The problem is we've got a bunch of bright, likely reasonably successful people accustomed to glancing at something pretty quickly and getting it close to correct, and if not the first time, they'll get it the second. This process, though relatively quick and simple, is also remarkably unforgiving. Make *sure* you follow the steps *exactly*. If there's anything you don't understand *completely* about them, but you figure you'll deal with it when you get there, figure again.

So that's what I'm saying: Be more than usually careful *beforehand* to be sure you understand the process thoroughly and follow it exactly.

Jud,

I appreciate your concern but aren't these observatiions self-evident.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren -

I wasn't referring to you specifically, but to anyone who may want to try this. And not just this thread, but particularly the various OS optimization threads, are full of folks saying "Hey I ran this and I know you said at my own risk but now my computer doesn't work!"

So "self-evident" and "Maybe I should actually take the time to be really sure of things (and make a backup!) before I try this" are obviously two different things to many folks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, robcee said:

I would like to point out that this is a seriously bad idea. You are risking corruption of your computer's operating system. Never install a kernel extension unless it's from a signed and trusted source. If you're not comfortable using a terminal and unix command lines, do not attempt this.

I feel like this thread needs a MUCH stronger disclaimer advising users not to attempt this unless they are both completely aware of what they are doing and that they can cause irreparable damage and loss of data to their computers if they mess it up.

Source: I am Software Developer.

Would you be Rob of Channel D?

22 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Some of you are being a bit too melodramatic. The process of installing an old kext (kernel extension) file to allow enabling "Direct Mode" in Sierra is not all that difficult and, even if done incorrectly, can be fixed by doing it correctly. You guys don't seem to understand kernel extensions and how Unix systems work and fail. Nor is it a big deal disabling and enabling "System Integrity Protection".

Kexts run in supervisor mode so they do any more damage to the kernel that an application can. So you won't corrupt the operations system trying to change kexts even if you do it wrong. Doing it right will fix it!

If you don't fell comfortable changing the kext, don't do it. But let's not scare people with outcomes that won't happen.

Right, but OTOH you might want to look (when site links work again) at some of the old OS optimization threads, where people rushed to make changes without doing simple easy stuff like reading thoroughly or making a current backup, and we were then treated to posts of the "Wah, you said this would make things sound better and now my computer doesn't work!" variety.

5 hours ago, robcee said:

Since this procedure replaces one Apple kernel extension with another, can you perform the public service of letting us know which OS Apple meant to take over our lives and information with?