IGNORED

Bizarre problem with Mac Mini server

I was listening to my system this morning: Mac Mini w/ WD MyBook 2TB, iTunes, Amarra Mini, 1.1 Firewire into Sonic Studio 303 into Bryston BDA-1. Everything was playing fine. I selected a particular recording and heard static along with the music (never heard that before). It got worse, started to sound like a CD skipping, then hung on a particular sound, like a stuck CD. So I switched to Internet radio, turned iTunes volume up, and the sound was fine. Hard drive failing? An odd twist: I went back to (different) music from the server, turned down the iTunes volume, and heard a little static, switched back to radio, turned up iTunes volume, and I had both the server music and the radio playing simultaneously. Now how is that possible?

I'm dong a full backup now in case this is the hard drive, but it's strange and troubling.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

I have experienced static using previous versions of Amarra. Are you running 3189 of Amarra Mini? For me, upgrading to 3189 fixed the problem.

Gary

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

I am running 3189 and I didn't have the problem with earlier versions. However, the problem seems to have gone away, at least for now. Knock wood.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

"Now how is that possible?"

Core audio doesn't offer an "exclusive use" mode.

Audiophiles complain about it occasionally - most often in relation to the need to change sample rate - but it's more like the pro audio mentality - multi-source flexibility, etc.

Sounds like you had momentary application issues.

clay