IGNORED

Suggestions on new system

Hi all,

I have been trying to research for the best system for me right now. All thats happening really is I'm getting confused and dazed.

What I'm looking for here is some opinions, suggestions and/or insight to my dilemma.

-My ultimate goal is to play "high-res" files from my computer. Initially I though all I'd need is an amplifier with USB-B connectivity. But....

-Need AIRPlay, for the wife

-Would like to have internet radio capabilities, I know computer can do this, not necessary

-Would like an all in one system, but finding out that is near impossible

The only all in one I can find is the NAD D7050, but not available where I am (Japan). I have been eying the Denon DRA100, but it doesn't have an async USB port. Does it matter if the unit will stream "high-res"? Then I got to thinking, maybe an all in one won't give me the best quality amplifier/dac, or future upgradability than if I were to get separate components. Although this will not likely be the last system I will buy. Right now space is a premium for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all,

I have been trying to research for the best system for me right now. All thats happening really is I'm getting confused and dazed.

What I'm looking for here is some opinions, suggestions and/or insight to my dilemma.

-My ultimate goal is to play "high-res" files from my computer. Initially I though all I'd need is an amplifier with USB-B connectivity. But....

-Would like to have internet radio capabilities, I know computer can do this, not necessary

The only all in one I can find is the NAD D7050, but not available where I am (Japan). I have been eying the Denon DRA100, but it doesn't have an async USB port. Does it matter if the unit will stream "high-res"? Then I got to thinking, maybe an all in one won't give me the best quality amplifier/dac, or future upgradability than if I were to get separate components. Although this will not likely be the last system I will buy. Right now space is a premium for me.

I lived quite happily for awhile with a marantz SR5009, picked up at best buy new open box for around $500. Prices have fallen and you can get new on ebay for about that price now.

They have a usb port on the front that you can put digitial music on and it support all files even DSD. Also supports streaming and interent radio. If you want one unit to do it all, this sounds great. You can select your songs from the gui (hdmi out to your monitor). Its a great all in one unit.

Hi all,

Is this your first high end system, or do you already have some experience and just want to add a source to your system?

Briefly, quoting (and my underlining) from Did We Overhype USB Audio And Overlook Possible Pitfalls? :

I do not think so. USB Audio promised virtually no jitter transmission of data to the converter, and this is better than what SPDIF can do. Like anything new, it takes awhile for the implementation issues to be figured out, and any new interface to be perfected. IMO, we have nearly perfect USB audio interfaces now, but unfortunately, not all DAC manufacturers are using properly implemented USB interfaces, even now.

But, a technically proper USB audio receiver is essentially as perfect as any other interface can be; it is up to manufacturers to implement a proper USB interface (the technology and knowledge to do so is well understood and known now).

And of Japan, insight to what all-in-ones are being bought, currently, per Phile-web's ハイコンポ rankings :

phileweb.com/ranking...html

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

I lived quite happily for awhile with a marantz SR5009, picked up at best buy new open box for around $500. Prices have fallen and you can get new on ebay for about that price now.

They have a usb port on the front that you can put digitial music on and it support all files even DSD. Also supports streaming and interent radio. If you want one unit to do it all, this sounds great. You can select your songs from the gui (hdmi out to your monitor). Its a great all in one unit.

Thanks for the suggestion! I had a Denon AVR 3something similar to the Marantz prior to moving and loved the sound it gave me. Would like to do a surround system too, but don't have the room for it right now so want to keep it small and stereo.

Is this your first high end system, or do you already have some experience and just want to add a source to your system?

This will be my first bonafide high end system. As I told @Beerandmusic I had a Denon avr with some awesome sounding B&W 683's prior to moving. While researching a new system I began learning that in order to make the most of my digital music files I need a way to properly process them. So I have the music, computer, some speakers (a pair of B&W M1's that will most likely be replaced soon after I get an amp), just need an amplifier/ DAC.

Briefly' date=' quoting (and my underlining) from [/font']Did We Overhype USB Audio And Overlook Possible Pitfalls? :

And of Japan, insight to what all-in-ones are being bought, currently, per Phile-web's ハイコンポ rankings :

phileweb.com/ranking...html

Thanks! I try not to read up too much on arguments whether one thing is better/ right than the other, its a long dark journey. Ha, ha. But thats why I'm thinking I should get separate components, since technology moves so fast, the better thing could be out tomorrow.

This will be my first bonafide high end system. As I told @Beerandmusic I had a Denon avr with some awesome sounding B&W 683's prior to moving. While researching a new system I began learning that in order to make the most of my digital music files I need a way to properly process them. So I have the music, computer, some speakers (a pair of B&W M1's that will most likely be replaced soon after I get an amp), just need an amplifier/ DAC.

I would concentrate more on the amplifier for now. In order to take advantage of hi res formats, you'll need equipment that is able to reveal the extra resolution. Otherwise, you may not hear any differences. Also, you should really match your speakers to your amp before you buy anything. And when I say match, I don't mean just power. Its important to listen to the combo to actually verify you like the way it sounds. If you make a mistake there, you won't enjoy the system, and a new dac won't do much good.

Did you already have a look at the Lmin M1 ?

I am not sure what protocols it supports but it is a very good all-in-one solution, you only need to add speakers.

There is also a positive review on 6moons.

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Need AIRPlay, for the wife

I looked up the DRA-100, ¥110,000

Denon-DRA-100-Anschlüsse.jpg

In short—quoting an earlier Post, we, for our house, were considering a M-CR611, ¥70,000 :

M-CR611 may be the solution for you ; briefly' date=' summarised from Japanese 5-page review :

2_1.jpg

26.jpg

36.jpg

4.jpg

38_2.jpg

Bundled with B&WCM1 S2」as「Premium System」set, priced at 198,000円

79_1.jpg

Bundled with B&W686 S2」as「Standard System」set, priced at 160,000円

79_2.jpg

Bundled with DALIZensor1」as「Basic System」set, priced at 106,000円

80.jpg

From latter 3/4 of UK listing, Overview :

The M-CR611 not only looks superb, it’s also a superb performer, reproducing excellent CD-audio, FM, DAB/DAB+ and Network files. Designed with ease of use in mind, the Melody Media features a simple “one-push” Wi-Fi connect. New Bluetooth with NFC boasts connectivity options further and iDevices can be hooked up via a front facing USB port, with an extra rear port for convenience. And there are two digital inputs for connection to a TV.

The Melody Media now supports Spotify Connect, as well as a host of other digital media and streaming features. Alongside listening to millions of songs on the world’s most popular online music service, it allows playback of music libraries stored on a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or a computer, provides access to thousands of free internet radio stations, and even supports Apple AirPlay. Listeners can also take control via an Android and iOS compatible Marantz Hi-Fi Remote app.

An additional new feature is the speaker A / B configuration, allowing individual volume control for A and B, or master volume control for A and B. Use the Melody Media not just to flood one room with music, but two. This is real versatility in elegant housing. The M-CR611 also supports ALAC, as well as 192kHz / 24bit high-resolution WAV, FLAC, AIFF files, 2.8MHz DSD file and Gapless playback.

N.B. American importer orders only Black

Yeah, Marantz is the Japanese importer of B&W and DALI

«

an accurate picture

I figured I should concentrate on the amplifier as they tend to last longer than DACs and what not. I am thinking of getting a quality used amplifier and maybe a network streamer with a DAC. As for the amp matching a speaker, unless they are purposely built for each other (which may be more marketing than anything), I don't think it really makes much of a difference. I've listened to many different amp/ speaker combos, sometimes a-b them at the same time and never heard much difference, besides tone (due to settings on amps), and loudness (due to power). I do see people saying that one amp/ speaker sounds better with another, so the each his own. Thanks

Stumbled upon the Marantz CR611 at a Bic Camera shop that was connected to some B&W speakers. I like the unit overall, but don't care for the CD player. Can't help but think that f they omitted the CD player they could of improved other areas or added an async USB. Wonder why I can't find the CR511 in Japan? The price of the Denon has come down recently to ¥83,00 or something, so makes it even more appealing. Maybe something new coming??

Did you end up getting the Marantz, how do you like it?

Are you from/ in Japan? I see your name and posts of Japanese products.

Often, when I think if our interactions lead this site to being another social network, I realise my neglect of the only other online community I've joined—where close friends are.

And my interest in Marantz is due to my good friend, Ken Ishiwata, still working there at a senior product creation and planning capacity. Of amplifiers, even though I've 7 distinct devices from them dating back to the early 1990s, I regularly study their new releases to understand which will help my enjoyment of playing back various old and new media. Thus, am supporting Ken's work by choosing what suits my needs, giving him feedback. Here, CA, socially sharing (when I've time) my studies and personal decisions.

I'm waiting to audition New Zealand's arrival of 11.2 MHz DSD&384 kHz 32 bit PCM (¥140,000) HD-AMP1 :

Andrew Everard published his praising write-up [12-22-2015]' date=' concluding excerpt :

[/font']

In fact, whatever you choose to drive with it, the Marantz shines, and it’s also more than capable of revealing the benefits of stepping up through the choice of hi-res files on offer out there, as was apparent when comparing DSD64 and DSD128 versions of the same track, and even the very few DSD256 files I have in my library.

10_535x800.jpg

Played through the Bowers & Wilkins speakers in particular, the HD-AMP1 just delivers more presence and sparkle as you move up through the DSD spectrum, but it’s also entirely convincing both when used with more modest speakers and when playing files at standard CD resolution. This is an amplifier you can buy with confidence for your current music collection, knowing it has the wherewithal to handle whichever direction your purchases may take you in the future.

Just occasionally I come across a product beyond the extremely good and well into truly special territory – having used the HD-AMP1 for a while now, I’m convinced the Marantz team has done it again. Compact it may be, but this amplifier has definite giant-killing ability, and is one of the most convincing products in its sector this side of £1000, if not beyond.

Add in the stylish ‘retro’ looks, the solidity of build and the comprehensive specification, and you have a real hi-fi bargain on your hands. That’s not a bad start for the New Year, is it?

l_hm_ma02.jpg

marantz-hd_amp1-bl-atmosphere-scaled600.jpg?w=640

Click here to read AE's full MARANTZ HD-AMP1 IS A CLASSIC IN THE MAKING

HD-AMP1 is properly isolated for USB-B, but see Specs for how it doesn't fit your needs ; will mention their simpler M-CR511 and global distribution anomalies another time

«

an accurate picture

Thats awesome that you know someone like that on the "inside" that most likely gives you a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing with us! Maybe an introduction could happen and he'd let me borrow an amp or two? Ha!

I have been eying some upper class amplifiers including this one and just wanna say f-it and buy one. But I'm tying to restrain myself and keep it under ¥100,000 for now. If the HD-AMP1 had airplay included it would be hard to pass up!

What do you think of Denon amplifiers? As I understand it Denon and Marantz are the same company, products must share some similarities no?

Thanks again!

Pardon, my attention is currently with my childhood friend's relationship problems...

Quoting earlier (2014) :

Denon vs Marantz

Heading up the neighbouring Marantz fleet was the 9.2-channel £1' date='400 SR7008, with a nigh-on identical specification to Denon’s AVR-X4000.

If you were just running the numbers you might suspect them to be basically the same boxes.

But just how similar are these home theatre titans beneath the hood? D+M confirms they ship from the same factory and concedes they share a common construction platform; indeed, comparing PCBs from the lower-down-the-line AVR-X3000 with the SR6008 reveals clear similarities.

However, it would be a mistake to consider the two models essentially the same.

[img']http://www.hifinews.ru/image/pics_2011/ken-ishivata-confa-18.jpg[/img]

Marantz cites the involvement of audio tuning guru Ken Ishiwata – who has been largely responsible for steering the brand’s sonic direction since joining in 1978 – and proprietary technologies such as the HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuit on all its SR Series AV receivers, as telltale differences. HDAM has been employed in some guise or another on various Marantz products since the early 1990s, replacing more commonly used op-amps.

The advantage, says the brand, is a reduced electrical noise level and a highly dynamic performance. It’s HDAMs which contribute to the characteristic sound of all higher-end Marantz amplifiers.

Denon’s secret weapon

While Ishiwata is a familiar name to audiophiles around the world, Denon’s in-house sound-meister is somewhat more elusive. Susumu Yoneda has been similarly overseeing Denon’s audio tuning for decades.

%E6%9C%AA%E6%A0%87%E9%A2%98-1.jpg

Originally a speaker engineer, Yoneda-san has final approval over Denon’s key product lines – if he’s not happy then it doesn’t get released.

Denon Europe’s Takamitsu Hashimoto told HCC: ‘We have a senior sound engineering team, comprising representatives from each category. Yoneda-san is the leader of this team. Think of him as Master Yoda of the Jedi Council!’ When asked just how the two companies approach the tuning of their products, Hashimoto explains: ‘The aim of a Denon product is to accurately reproduce the content of the disc or file, while at Marantz the idea is to create musicality; the philosophy between the two brands is quite different.’

And Yoneda retired earlier this year, someone else within Denon has stepped-up.

When Ken retires, I too retire from studying Marantz (and give more time to books and sports)—I'm trusting my friend presence rather than perpetual loyalty to a brand-name.

«

an accurate picture

Thats awesome that you know someone like that on the "inside" that most likely gives you a wealth of information. Thanks for sharing with us! Maybe an introduction could happen and he'd let me borrow an amp or two? Ha!

I have been eying some upper class amplifiers including this one and just wanna say f-it and buy one. But I'm tying to restrain myself and keep it under ¥100,000 for now. If the HD-AMP1 had airplay included it would be hard to pass up!

What do you think of Denon amplifiers? As I understand it Denon and Marantz are the same company, products must share some similarities no?

Thanks again!

I've found Denon CD player and amplifier sound a bit rolled-off at frequency extremes and also lacking in dynamics, perhaps due to the use of under-dimensioned transformers?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I think most amplifiers have some sort of "source direct" or "direct sound" mode that is supposed to bypass all tone controls and any other sound processing/enhancing that the amp would otherwise do. Thats what I like to use most of the time as it will let the original music be heard as it should be.

As for the Denons sounding "rolled-off and "lacking in dynamics, I can't really comment as I've only owned one before. Could be due to the speakers? The system I owned was very revealing and life-like, so If I can get a better sound than that, I'll be very happy.

As for the Denons sounding "rolled-off and "lacking in dynamics, I can't really comment as I've only owned one before. Could be due to the speakers? The system I owned was very revealing and life-like, so If I can get a better sound than that, I'll be very happy.

My comments regarding sonic attributes of an amplifier or CD player are made in relation to other amplifiers and to other CD players.

A "transparent"/"revealing" system is mandatory if one wishes to evaluate through listening.

R

I've found Denon CD player and amplifier sound a bit rolled-off at frequency extremes and also lacking in dynamics, perhaps due to the use of under-dimensioned transformers?

R

I'm sorry, I thought you said Denons sound that way. As I stated, I can't comment on that since I've only owned one Denon and have not heard others with the same set up I had to compare it with. I think hearing a system in a store will give very different results from hearing it in your own home with your own speakers. Don't you think?

I'm sorry, I thought you said Denons sound that way. As I stated, I can't comment on that since I've only owned one Denon and have not heard others with the same set up I had to compare it with. I think hearing a system in a store will give very different results from hearing it in your own home with your own speakers. Don't you think?

I agree. It always surprises me when people comment on the performance of sources and even amplification that they have listened to at shows; all I can comment on is the sound of a pair of speakers in an unfamiliar room.

I owned a Denon DCD-1450 for a bit while my CD player was being modified/optimized and some amplifiers and other players in familiar systems.

The sound was as I described (no alarms and no surprises, just plain blandness).

R

Thats surprising as others hold Denon CD players in high regard. I've never heard any of them before, haven't owned a CD player for a while. Mostly use my blu-ray player if i need to, otherwise burn it to the computer.

Don't give my word or that of the others more credit than it's due; I for one only trust the opinions of a few select people, and none of them are professional reviewers.

The best think to do is to try it out yourself.

R

Sigh- If only. If only I could be locked in a soundproof room with all the different products at my disposal to listen to. Oh well. I also try not to pay too much attention to professional reviewers, thats why I turned here. By the way, how do you like the Teac? I saw a used UD-501 for a decent price.

At this point I'm thinking of just getting an all in one streamer/ amp, as I really don't have the space for a full rack system. Then later down the road I can get a different setup. After all, money is meant to be burned right? Ha, ha.