IGNORED

Newbie questions re: creating system for digitizing vinyl

Vinyl Studio is, imo, a better solution for splitting tracks and tagging.

No argument from me! But I've been using Audacity for so many years for all my recording that I'm just used to it. It's open source, it's never broken on me, and I won't be ripping many albums.

I think Audacity is a great way for a newbie to get the feel of ripping vinyl with little effort and no cost. If, as I did, he or she decides it's too much effort for the return, there's nothing lost. And if the future holds serious ripping, there are programs like VS that will make it easier to do in volume. End of story.

Thanks guys for sharing your perspectives. The software with my MH LIO8 is a pain to use. I'll check Audacity out but VS sure is more convenient for sure. Either way, no 'serious' ripping for me till I get a better phono stage but it's great to know my options.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank dtc, SJK and everyone who suggested Vinyl Studio. I bought It and It does indeed work wonders! Much easier to use (once you read the manual) than Audacity and splitting tracks is a snap.

Best of all is the cleanup audio feature that take care of the clics and pops amazingly well.

I got pretty damn good results with a cheap Audio Technica turntable and old dirty records. I can only imagine what the results might be with a good turntable, dedicated ADC and clean LPs...

Thanks again guys!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Glad it works. I know I sound like a salesman, but VS really works at an amazing price. I assume you found the hum, rumble and hiss filters. There are some good tips on the General VS forum on looking up albums in discogs. That guy is a genius.

Enjoy.