IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

You ought to hear the difference between Airplay > Airport Express > toslink and Shareport > uRendu > USB. Holy cow, what a difference! Soundstage, texture, timbre, etc... across the board improvement.

I'm in the process of evaluating IDAGIO and PRIMEPHONIC Classical only streaming services. They do not support DLNA or have setups like Spotify connect, and they are not integrated in A+ or Lumin App, so I am stuck with Airplay. The uRendu makes these music services worth it for me. I would not say that if I had to use my Airport Express.

(I know this is a microRendu thread, but I think what I say holds true as well for the mR)

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, Jud said:

Just wanted to mention that after owning the microRendu for quite a while, I've just now discovered Shairport. A kind neighbor who's into audio gave me access to the music on his NAS through a phone app, and when thinking of how to play it through my system, I remembered seeing an Airplay-related app available on the mR.

It was nice having access to his collection, but then it struck me that basically anything I could share from my iPhone or MacBook should also work.

Well, there's really no limit. Favorite radio stations from around the US and the world, apps from music sites like Bandcamp, services like Qobuz.... I listened to news and music programming from my home town radio station 2000 miles away a few nights ago - great to have a touch of home.

Thanks for including this among the apps/capabilities available on the microRendu, Jesus.

I agree. Shareport is the one of the reasons I bought an uR.

I use it everyday to listen to IDAGIO since they don't have a stand alone DLNA app such as SPOTIFY Connect. I also use it with the OVERCAST Podcast app. The Aiport Express is no longer available except in the refurb / used market, so Shareport has kept the Apple environment open for me.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

14 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Yeh, I should try this with my iPad - for streaming radio stations I can no longer access via fm, cos we moved house ...

You use airplay into Shairport? Is there a guide for us struggling novices ...?

Each app is a little different. But generally:

!- Choose Shareport in the Sonic Orbiter App switcher.

2- Play your radio station to the iPad internal speakers.

3- Find the "Device" icon or Airplay icon on your favorite radio streaming app. It is usually at the bottom somewhere. Tap it.

4- The mR or uR should be listed under Airplay Devices. Choose it. The signal is then moved to the Rendu.

You can also find the Airplay icon in the control panel (swipe down in the right hand upper corner) of your iPad, but I find the app approach more intuitive.

17 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Another good solution for internet radio is the built in Logitech Media Server and its SqueezeLite output mode. 

Jesus: I tried to install LMS several times and apparently succeeded:

1046500079_ScreenShot2019-05-27at11_40_22AM.thumb.jpg.22741b125109c5adfa532ea83fa86004.jpg

But it does not show up in the Installed Apps:

1653908828_ScreenShot2019-05-27at11_41_35AM.thumb.jpg.5a0d489cf408d80b02eaf613bcd809f5.jpg

I would love to try the internet radio suggestion you made. Any ideas?

Oops... I didn't wait long enough,,, It's LMS is installed now. I saw the "complete" and forgot I need to wait for "back to server".