IGNORED

My little experiment - Belleson versus LT1963 DC regulator

tboooe

I have been experimenting with powering various components in my audio PC from different sources. My audio pc is currently being powered by a 19V Keces linear psu. The first test I did was replace the Picopsu with the HDPlex 250W ATX psu. This resulted in a nice improvement in bass and bit better dynamics. My next test is powering the SSD and my soon to be purchased Paul Pang v4 USB card from an ultra low noise dc regulator being feed from the 12v rail of the HD Plex ATX psu. Results were a slightly blacker background and a bit more detail. Definitely nothing earth shattering but worth the $21 investment for the ultra low noise dc regulator. My next step is to test powering the SSD with a linear psu like the HD Plex which I will be getting soon.

In the meantime, I was doing more reading on DC regulators and through various forums I came across Belleson. These regulators supposedly outperform many of the common regulators that have been around like the LM317 and the LT1963 I am using. So after a quick email to Belleson I have decided to buy another regulator and mod it by replacing the LT1963 with a Belleson 5V, 2a regulator. According to Belleson, "Our Superpower has less noise by a factor of about 4. More importantly, it has much better output transient response, i.e. it can deliver current to a load much faster."

I should be ready to compare the LT1963 with the Belleson in about 2 weeks once all the parts arrive. I am very curious to see if the improved performance of the Belleson equates to better sound (at least to my ear and in my system).

Here is the ultra low noise regulator I have that I intend to buy another one of and mod with the Belleson:

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/201209828911?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

Here is the link to Bellesons homepage:

http://www.belleson.com/

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Looking forward to hearing about your findings with the Belleson reg on the A-270 board :-)

Will you be testing it on both the OS ssd, and the PPA usb card ?

Regards.

Asus Prime-P z590 MB. Intel Core  i5 11400 , Jcat usb XE Pci-usb card. Intel Optane m2 with Euphony Stylus software. And running Ramrod.

Jcat Femto Netcard. HDPlex linear w300, HDPlex 400 atx, HDPlex H5 case. MPAudio SLS-hpuln with JCat Optimo Nano Powering the Jcat XE pcie-usb card. Farad 3 lpsu powering the Netcard femto. 2 Buffalo 2008 switch. One stock, and one Buffalo 2008 switch with NewclassD Neutron star Clock powered by MPAudio SLS-hpuln,

Voltcraft fps_1132 lpsu Powering the fibernet box, and first Buffalo 2008 switch. With a Idovr regulator. 

Looking forward to hearing about your findings with the Belleson reg on the A-270 board :-)

Will you be testing it on both the OS ssd, and the PPA usb card ?

Regards.

Yes, my intention is to test both DC regulators on the SSD and PPA card. I also have a 3rd power input option I want to test and that is the 19V input from my LPS. Ideally I would have my HDPlex 100W lps that I can use the 5V output from but Xmas has crushed my audio hobby budget for the next few months. So in summary I am going to test the following options:

1. 12V from internal ATX psu >> LT1963 based DC regulator

2. 12V from internal ATX psu >> Belleson based DC regulator

3. 19V from Keces LPS >> LT1963 based DC regulator

4. 19V from Keces LPS >> Belleson based DC regulator

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

So in summary I am going to test the following options:

1. 12V from internal ATX psu >> LT1963 based DC regulator

2. 12V from internal ATX psu >> Belleson based DC regulator

3. 19V from Keces LPS >> LT1963 based DC regulator

4. 19V from Keces LPS >> Belleson based DC regulator

Hi Tommy

Don't forget that with options 3 and 4 ,that you will be dissipating 14V across the regulators.

Existing heat sinking may not be adequate, especially with the PPA USB card !

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I use Belleson superregulators from 2010 to feed 5V and 12V onr PC and DAC, using a very simple schematic based on 78xx type regulator as follow

wZjTc6F0RcJ4HRsL93BZ7Eo3ceK_TVhvh1XYKkdbDj1fCMeCmtk6U8eaEvCduELSZ3X52mpDg75tMeRKGaatyZO9yg7JlptwC-DOh6hOQO6hZ_lswXcyF9L0e_bXg1HDQvGCzLp7K3imfMXcNrN8Im-yoKGT0VDN_2ucvbvCCdhljXNDW5kBdOPQjXWwKYHJxMdrRRBBRW2WVMZM4YdonSikuFtvIAMZIJTr9bfDmsDIa7n7YcGmkC0Y-XeDAUYcaxw6CSX5yjPaZQ7sTFk9ioBnuqxbuRddNORkx4Lw_Nf5sXrzIutSxXTuEqPxOM_R_xv0EN3_K6HT7YIFvcK_kNZaw-BODHP8CY3eoegTaX6FtmpXiTvaIUcX65Nd4qjoGJgwYZ0n0rqhYSQtZMlrvu6O9oWFo5Se4Eo4X_MLGfHup5xYm78uIskaMOD_CFWeKtOuU5Ug28xjLAs098R74yKwwE0-_KV5CCg7oxiXbMFkFWgWtheCMPL9m9c1P2G9ydYaFvnCssk2Wh0MZGLPL--Af2EYc7C6YUfy0ubNODtrxE_thZCZ7Ls-XIp97EGT9YYc=w450-h206-no

As you can see this isn't a DC-DC schematic, because Belleson regulator doesn't work well in these way, it needs a good trafo, really good diodes,great capacitors and good heatsink, sometimes, better if little and helped by a low-speed silent fan (best silent fan are the NoiseBlocker). So an ATX PSU followed by a Belleson couldn't be a good choice, in my opinion

My best results are been obtained with these components:

Trafo: an R-core model, vastly better than every toroidal I've used

Diodes: must be choice on the current request but only selected on Schottky model or Hexfred

Leveling Capacitors: my best choice is Mundorf Mlytic Ag+, usually 6800 uF 80V. This is an incredible piece that permits a great jump in sound quality, also to feed PC

Input capacitor: from foot 1 to ground could be a Russian Silver Mica or a Mundorf Supreme

Output capacitors: you can omit the one on foot 2 but the 100 uF must be of quality. I've preferred the ClarityCap TC4, four terminals film capacitor to BlackGate electrolytic capacitors, for a greater sense of silense and cleanness.

At the end this is is an huge and really expansive model of PSU, it requests a little expertise on diy and must be remembered that you are working with a potentially dangerous voltage but this is the best PSU I've tried until now. If you want use the Belleson this is the right way , IMHO (all Mundorf and Clarity Cap components are sold by Hificollective in UK and It seems to me also by Parts ConneXion in Canada)