IGNORED

Sony HAP S1 problem

jonesm

It does indeed sound very good. It's great to have mine back in action after the firmware screwup. Sony has a good pdf'ed manual for the HAP on their site, along with the music transfer program and the app. It does a good job of explaining how to do all those things, including merging and dividing albums, and adding artwork (I've scanned album covers into my photo folders and then edited them into the HAP, and sometimes used a scan of a blank CD which looks like an old 45 record when I've brought in a compilation album). The manual also explains DSEE etc.

I'm no expert on that error message, but I'd check your network status on the HAP under Settings. If that seems OK, try to access one of the Internet Radio stations from the TuneIn list. If that works, that shows that the HAP can reach the Internet. If not, I'd check your router to see if it is connected to the Internet, and see if an app or computer can access the net. If everything else seems to work but you're still getting that message, then you might try turning the HAP off and unplugging it for a minute or two, then starting it up again. I had a glitch once where the HAP couldn't connect to my wifi net, and that restart procedure corrected the problem.

At the next day it worked - probably a problem was at grasenote.

HDD Audio Remote does not work under the operating system Android 6.0.1

At the next day it worked - probably a problem was at grasenote.

HDD Audio Remote does not work under the operating system Android 6.0.1

Today again does not work - I don't understand - one day everything is normal, the next day - does not work. Is this feature at your devices always work? Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

I did yesterday. No problem so far. Although Sony site says installation of 17384R "not necessary" if you have firmware 17050R (ie. the one that brought our HAPs back to life), you don't have any choice once your iOS HDD Audio app updates. It demands the new firmware.

Installed.

Thoughts:

1 - USB hubs are now supported so you can use an external HDD and CD drive at the same time. That's a welcome addition.

2 - Spotify seems to work fine - I haven't tried it myself yet but have seen it on some Z1 forums somewhere else. I see it right in the iOS app though which is a good thing to have for future.

3 - I use a wired connection and there are some new settings in the network connections for disconnect detection which I've never had an issue with but good to have.

4 - the iOS app for me, is still excellent. Simple and turns my phone and iPad (especially iPad) into a great remote for it.

*5* The BEST feature - which is one I hope we never have to use :) which I believe is a direct result if the Firmware Bricking that happened earlier this year...

There has always been the 'hidden' menu for doing full reset and a few tech things for the device. (Never helped when my unit bricked) But the fact that Sony now tells you how to get there - AND - THEY HAVE NOW ADDED THE ABILITY TO ROLL BACK FIRMWARE VERSION!!!

That right there is HUGE. And in my opinion, validation that they know they screwed many users before and want to avoid that again.

In case anyone hasn't read the release notes here they are:

• Name: Firmware update v17384R for HAP-S1 / HAP-Z1ES
  • Date released: 16-06-2016
  • Benefits and improvements:
    • Spotify Connect features are now supported
    • A USB hub can now be used for connecting both 1 HDD drive and 1 CD drive
    • The Wake On LAN function is now supported

[*]Important notes:

• If you are using an HDD Audio Remote, you need to update the HDD Audio Remote too.
    • The latest HDD Audio Remote will not support mobile devices running “Android 3.x or earlier” and “iOS 5 or earlier”. You won't be able to operate this product from such mobile devices if you update it to the latest firmware version. If you wish to go on operating your unit with HDD Audio Remote on such a mobile device, please: *To enter “Special Mode”, while the unit is on standby, please hold the HOME button on the main unit and press the POWER button.
      • Revert the firmware to the previous version, using the “Restore Previous Version” function in “Special Mode*”, in case you have already performed the update, or
      • Update the OS of your mobile device to a later version than the ones described above

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Jonesm. Have you resolved the problem yet?

I have the same problem on my brand new HAP-S1. It happened a couple of weeks after the latest firmware update.

Sony was of no help. I even tried swapping in a new drive but it seems like the unit cannot create the song database on the internal HDD and thus rendering both the internal and external drives unable to write any music files.

I tried going through all the resetting but rescanning always fails with your same error message. Sony suggested sending it in for repairs but I'm hoping they'll send a firmware update soon. However, I'm not sure if the update will even work with the internal HDD not being able to accept any files.

Gary

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk

Just curious GaryC, but is the white line in your LCD normal or a defect? I noticed it in my screen as well.

Just curious GaryC, but is the white line in your LCD normal or a defect? I noticed it in my screen as well.

Hi Vinny,

Not sure what white line you're referring to but my LCD looks completely normal. And I've got the latest firmware.

Gary

Hi Vinny,

Not sure what white line you're referring to but my LCD looks completely normal. And I've got the latest firmware.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I thought it was your pix in the original post but now I see it is jonesm photos. Thanks for the quick reply.

I just got mine.. Was wondering what speakers are you using it with?

Thanks,

Vinny

Hi Gary,

I thought it was your pix in the original post but now I see it is jonesm photos. Thanks for the quick reply.

I just got mine.. Was wondering what speakers are you using it with?

Thanks,

Vinny

I mostly listen with my Sony MDR-Z7 or Sennheiser HD700 headphones. Both of them sound great.

For speakers, I just use the Sony SRS-X99 wireless speakers connected to the line out of the player. It sounds decent but probably not the setup you're looking for. :)

Cheers,

Gary

So -am I the only person who is finding problems with this new firmware?

The most obvious issue is that now my HAP-S1 will randomly repeat songs. Sometimes it's the first, or second or third song in an album etc. Just repeats it one time and then continues. But - this happens with every single album that I play. Tried 24/192 - DSD - and various FLAC albums all have the same issue.

Other problem is that if I go by artist - and then list the songs in an album - if I scroll quickly the scroll will wrap around right up to the top of the song list again - instead at stopping at the bottom of the song list - which it does if I scroll slower.

This is all being controlled from the unit itself.

I mostly listen with my Sony MDR-Z7 or Sennheiser HD700 headphones. Both of them sound great.

For speakers, I just use the Sony SRS-X99 wireless speakers connected to the line out of the player. It sounds decent but probably not the setup you're looking for. :)

Cheers,

Gary

Awesome, I haven't tried headphones yet. My Sony player came with the sony hi res speakers but was wondering what other speakers did others use or if any users tried connecting to their existing sound system.

So -am I the only person who is finding problems with this new firmware?

The most obvious issue is that now my HAP-S1 will randomly repeat songs. Sometimes it's the first, or second or third song in an album etc. Just repeats it one time and then continues. But - this happens with every single album that I play. Tried 24/192 - DSD - and various FLAC albums all have the same issue.

Other problem is that if I go by artist - and then list the songs in an album - if I scroll quickly the scroll will wrap around right up to the top of the song list again - instead at stopping at the bottom of the song list - which it does if I scroll slower.

This is all being controlled from the unit itself.

I haven't seen those problems so far. I tried to replicate them with a few albums this morning, but my unit performed properly. All seems well with the firmware on my HAP.

Only problem I have is the controller apps losing contact with the HAP at random times. I think this is a LAN issue similar to one I had with my Sonos speaker system. I solved that by hard-wiring one of the speakers to my router (vs. all wifi) but the HAP is too far away from the router to do that easily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi, reviving this thread, Sony just issued a new firmware upgrade 188033R. I didn't catch what the fix or add-ons are, but at least it hasn't brick-walled my unit.

Well, it looks like a big deal: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=HAPS1&upd_id=10957&os_group_id=6

Was there always a music server function? I am now accessing the HAP S1 as a music server from my older Denon CEOL Piccolo in the other room.

Also something about USB DAC support?

Just seconding what CSL has posted for McGill (this is the text from the link)

============================================================

Posted: 7/14/2016

Thank you for your continued interest in Sony® products.

Sony has found that a limited number of HAP-S1 and HAP-Z1ES Hi-Res Music Players may develop a white horizontal line across the LCD display.

Symptom

Over time, a white horizontal line may appear on the LCD display of some players due to component failure.

Affected Models

Some HAP-S1 and HAP-Z1ES Hi-Res Music Players within the following serial number ranges.

• HAP-S1 with serial numbers from 8800001 to 8801965
  • HAP-Z1ES with serial numbers 8800001 to 8802760

Note: Not all players within the serial number ranges are affected.

How to Check Your Model and Serial Number

The model and serial number are listed on the label on the back of the player.

HAP-S1

haps1-label.jpg

HAP-Z1ES

hapz1es-label.jpg

Solution

Subject to the terms of the limited warranty that accompanied the product, Sony will provide free repair for affected units until July 31, 2018.

If your HAP-S1 or HAP-Z1ES is within the affected serial number range, and is experiencing this issue, please contact Sony Support at 877-643-1216 to arrange for service.

Well, it looks like a big deal: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=HAPS1&upd_id=10957&os_group_id=6

Was there always a music server function? I am now accessing the HAP S1 as a music server from my older Denon CEOL Piccolo in the other room.

Also something about USB DAC support?

It would be nice it these updates came with some instructions. How would I set up a music server using the HAP S1? Should I assume that the USB DAC support is plug and play?

It would be nice it these updates came with some instructions. How would I set up a music server using the HAP S1? Should I assume that the USB DAC support is plug and play?

Hi CSL, no setup was required; my computer and Denon CEOL both just saw the HAP S1 on the network. I played tunes stored on the HAP S1 on the Denon while the HAP S1 played something else in the other room. Pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Does anyone here have any vibration issues with their unit ?, mine has a low hum that also shows as a vibration you can damp it down by putting your hand firmly on top.

I primarily listen with headphones and a hum is also present even when no music is playing ,sounds like a ground hum.Really happy with sound quality except for this humming audible during quiet passages of a song.

On a seperate note has anyone managed to used the onboard CD ripping function ?,if so what CD player did you use and to which connection.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone

Does anyone here have any vibration issues with their unit ?, mine has a low hum that also shows as a vibration you can damp it down by putting your hand firmly on top.

I primarily listen with headphones and a hum is also present even when no music is playing ,sounds like a ground hum.Really happy with sound quality except for this humming audible during quiet passages of a song.

On a seperate note has anyone managed to used the onboard CD ripping function ?,if so what CD player did you use and to which connection.

No hum from my three HAP S1 units.

I have ripped hundreds of CDs. Use an external CD drive with a power supply (not a stand alone player) connected to the USB port on the back. The Sony should recognize the CD drive when you select the import CD function. You may have to experiment as to which you power up first (the Sony or the CD drive).

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. My S1 has been operating well since the firmware problem was resolved, but now the horizontal line that others have reported has appeared. I've seen the posted solution, ie. contact Sony, but that makes me nervous given our previous experience and the amount of work I've put into organizing my music database on the unit. Does anyone know whether the problem gets worse, or whether it just stays as a thin line? Has anyone in Canada had success in contacting Sony and arranging a repair? (I'm in Vancouver.)

Hi everyone. My S1 has been operating well since the firmware problem was resolved, but now the horizontal line that others have reported has appeared. I've seen the posted solution, ie. contact Sony, but that makes me nervous given our previous experience and the amount of work I've put into organizing my music database on the unit. Does anyone know whether the problem gets worse, or whether it just stays as a thin line? Has anyone in Canada had success in contacting Sony and arranging a repair? (I'm in Vancouver.)

My Z1ES also developed white line this evening, since you are in Canada, take a look at this link below and just give Sony a call

(It's the same number for both US and Canada)

https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/news-item.pl?news_id=501&mdl=HAPZ1ES

I also came across this post on audioaficionado, which suggest Sony will pay for shipping both ways but turn around time will most likely be about 3-4 weeks include transit time (post #444 and 445)

Sony HAP-Z1ES - Page 45 - AudioAficionado.org

Sony suggests you back up your files before sending the product for repair. You will need an appropriately sized external hard drive to do this. Just follow the instructions in the manual. I backup routinely to a hard drive just in case I have a catastrophic hardware failure.