IGNORED

Sony HAP S1 problem

jonesm

Unfortunately, my HAP-S1 still is listed as "waiting for parts" at MTC. Hmmm...I hope those "parts" are this new update. Really miss my music (moved all of my hardware...CD's...to the cottage since I had my HAP-S1 in the city.

For those that had the 15152r version, and had no problems with it, what does the firmware upgrade improve with regards to "communications and playback quality" as per the sony support website? Anything noticeable?

I think that's Sony Corporate-speak for "fixes problems we created with 152R", which were the inability to communicate with the Music Transfer program and the Internet radio, and the inability to playback anything. My retailer heard from the Sony rep that the new firmware is more a step backward to reverse the problems created in 152R, rather than an "improvement". But 152R did work for a month and a half for me before it croaked, so I guess you could just keep going with it and update to 17050R if it stops working.

I think that's Sony Corporate-speak for "fixes problems we created with 152R", which were the inability to communicate with the Music Transfer program and the Internet radio, and the inability to playback anything. My retailer heard from the Sony rep that the new firmware is more a step backward to reverse the problems created in 152R, rather than an "improvement". But 152R did work for a month and a half for me before it croaked, so I guess you could just keep going with it and update to 17050R if it stops working.

Ha, if that is the case, Sony sure knows how to bend the English language! Anyhow, I've updated to 17050R and detect nothing new or different in functionality. I am happy for you folks for which the upgrades fixed serious problems like Internet radio use. I'm still under a warranty so figure I'd best upgrade the firmware and if things go sideways i can always send it in to be fixed (again).

Just got a response from Sony to United Radio. Even though I sent proof of purchase from the online and CC statement Sony do not want to own up to the error. They do not want to cover the repair "even though I did not break it" The response is not from a authorized store or retailer. I was like what does that got to do with the currupt sofware update from your servers?. This has been a dissapointing ordeal and I'm sad to say I will limit my purchase of sony products from this day forth. I do not want to be put in this situation in the future so it's best to avoid it.

I will pay for the "re-flash repair" out of pocket and sell this unit. I have already purchased a replacement from another brand. I also have a Sony Map -s1 I will sell off as well. So looks like I'm one who was not as lucky, please take note with your future purchases.

Thanks guys.

Wow . I really sorry that you guys have had this problem with Sony . I had a Sony laptop 8-9 years ago where the battery died 1 week after the 1 year warranty and they refused to repair it under warranty . I said fine , I won't buy any Sony products ever again and haven't . Apple would have taken care of me , no problem .

This incident just confirms I made the right decision .

Can someone with the newest firmware please verify if this option is available?

thanks.

[h=2]Setting the automatic access function to the Gracenote server (Auto Gracenote Access)[/h]You can turn on or off the automatic access function to the Gracenote server.

• Select [settings] - [system Settings] in the Home screen.
  • Select [Auto Gracenote Access].
  • Select [On] (factory default setting) or [Off].

Can someone with the newest firmware please verify if this option is available?

thanks.

Setting the automatic access function to the Gracenote server (Auto Gracenote Access)

You can turn on or off the automatic access function to the Gracenote server.

• Select [settings] - [system Settings] in the Home screen.
  • Select [Auto Gracenote Access].
  • Select [On] (factory default setting) or [Off].

I tested. This option is available.

• 2 weeks later...
Could someone please confirm with me that all is well with the firmware on the S1 now. I am just ready to buy one and want to make sure before purchasing. Thanks

Yes, all seems well. No problems since I installed 17050R. I've done uploads, registry edits, playback from playlists, etc. etc. I have an occasional problem with loss of connection between the iOS apps and the HAP, but this seems to be a wifi interference or router problem unrelated to the firmware issue.

Perfect. I found one and am going to buy it.Just a quick question. All my music is on a external HD. Can i hook it up to my lap top and transfer the music to the HAP from there? Or will i need to copy it to the lap top first? Planning on doing the wired transfer.

Thanks

You can hook your external drive to your laptop, and setup the HAP Music Transfer program on your laptop to find the specific directories on the external drive. Then the transfer will happen without problems. Don't try to hook the external drive direct to the HAP. I understand that the first thing the HAP does is re-format the drive to set it up for subsequent integrated use with its own internal drive.

sorry one more quick question. I want to do this right the first time.

Will the grace notes software find the album covers on its own?

Most of my MPS(320) should be tagged and the FLAC files have the album covers in the folder.

Just want to make sure this works. I can tag them this weekend if need be so i don't have to redo it after. Thanks

Gracenotes has found most of my album covers first time, including when I've digitized lps and cassettes and included some metadata with their.flac. I have on occasion had to use the "get data" feature on the HAP for it to find the cover and track info, and rarely with obscure stuff I've scanned a cover and imported it with the "edit data" feature.

I'm no expert on that error message, but I'd check your network status on the HAP under Settings. If that seems OK, try to access one of the Internet Radio stations from the TuneIn list. If that works, that shows that the HAP can reach the Internet. If not, I'd check your router to see if it is connected to the Internet, and see if an app or computer can access the net. If everything else seems to work but you're still getting that message, then you might try turning the HAP off and unplugging it for a minute or two, then starting it up again. I had a glitch once where the HAP couldn't connect to my wifi net, and that restart procedure corrected the problem.

Hi,

I got the unit on Friday. It was very easy to set up and transfer. And it sounds amazing. I can't believe how good my flac files sound....well all of them really. I just have a couple questions.

I have a few compilation Cds loaded and these are all mixed by artist in the artist menu. Is there anyway to edit the and get them all together? Also a few instances where a couple files are not where they r supposed to be and a couple wrong album art. Anyway to fix this? All in all it did really well with album art though. Just would love to clean up a few things.

And lastly Dsee Hx and Dsee can someone explain the difference. I'm not sure what to set it on. they both sound great. Thanks again I love the Sony.