IGNORED

Sony HAP S1 problem

jonesm

I would agree that Sony should pay. I understand warranty time limits applying to normal use, wear and tear, etc. that lead to mechanical failures after a couple of years. Manufacturer-induced failures after the warranty period, like this one for Tech, should be covered by the manufacturer. All of us who have been sandbagged by this firmware will have to keep pressure on Sony, just like some of you did earlier when Sony was in denial about the problem they'd caused.

I would agree that Sony should pay. I understand warranty time limits applying to normal use, wear and tear, etc. that lead to mechanical failures after a couple of years. Manufacturer-induced failures after the warranty period, like this one for Tech, should be covered by the manufacturer. All of us who have been sandbagged by this firmware will have to keep pressure on Sony, just like some of you did earlier when Sony was in denial about the problem they'd caused.

Yeah I am trying to keep on Sony about it. They are in denial. telling me the firmware is fine. I then pointed them again to this forum and other forums saying ok, if its fine why are so many people having the same issue? I been bounced around so much I feel like no one at Sony wants to take the responsability. Sad to say I don't think I want to purchase another Sony product in the future.

As I think about it, there just not the Sony company they use to be. Explains why they are selling off all there devisions.

I'm thinking of paying for the firmware repair and selling it. I have been looking at the Yamaha units, Onkyo, Technics and Panasonic. They have some nice network units for around the same cost or less.

Anyone interested in a used Hap-s1

This morning my repair status at MTC has changed to "waiting for parts". I wonder whether the "parts" are hardware or software?

Same here.

Meanwhile, the HAP-S1 is on sale at Best Buy Canada for the next few days. Knowing what I know, would I buy it again at a great price? Probably :-)

Just got a response from Sony to United Radio. Even though I sent proof of purchase from the online and CC statement Sony do not want to own up to the error. They do not want to cover the repair "even though I did not break it" The response is not from a authorized store or retailer. I was like what does that got to do with the currupt sofware update from your servers?. This has been a dissapointing ordeal and I'm sad to say I will limit my purchase of sony products from this day forth. I do not want to be put in this situation in the future so it's best to avoid it.

I will pay for the "re-flash repair" out of pocket and sell this unit. I have already purchased a replacement from another brand. I also have a Sony Map -s1 I will sell off as well. So looks like I'm one who was not as lucky, please take note with your future purchases.

Thanks guys.

I'm not a HAPS1 owner but I believe in the UK at least the sale of goods act applies a "reasonable service" test, irrespective of the official warranty offered.

So if you buy something new for £800, a court would ask whether it was reasonable to only get say 13 months use from the item before failure. I would guess that common sense would determine that it was not reasonable to only get 13 months use from an £800 music player.

Yeah I know If I really wanted to be a pain in the @#$$ I could and force the repair via legal ways. But honestly my time is more valuable to just put it behind me. And this is not the first run with a Sony product that yielded in them not wanting to honor something based on warranty that should be covered if the fault was not mine. But I'm tired, I have no faith is Sony anymore or Audio products from the company.

The state of customer service this day and age is terrible. Companies screw up and don't own up to take ownership of their mistakes.

As a consumer, I have the choice to not purchase from them anymore. Like I mentioned previously there is a reason why they are selling off everything.

No worries

• 2 weeks later...
My retailer advised me today that he'd read online that Sony was planning to push out a new firmware version on April 18th. I haven't been able to find anything online to confirm. Has anyone else heard or seen anything?

I have not heard anything about it, but it would be great!!

In the US, I do not see a firmware update for the HAPS1 on the esupport site. If it becomes available, that would be terrific. I hope others will post when they learn it has arrived. I just bought the HAPS1 today, so I'm nervous learning about this topic. I will not change the out of box firmware (surprised?) for now.

My equipment updated the firmware this morning. I never experienced any problems on my equipment, but I have only had them for about 2 months (I have two). I am in the US. Firmware update is still not live on US Sony Support, but I was prompted on the HAP screen to approve an update this morning.

I've installed 17050R today and it has brought my HAP-S1 back to life. The Sony website updated to show it as available this morning, and when I plugged in my HAP it instantly found the update. So after the installation, which was routine, all my music files are still there, all the edits, album art, etc. seem to be there, and the HAP Music Transfer program on my PC is now showing all the available file extensions. So far so good. I haven't checked all the edits I did previously, and I haven't tried to transfer any music to the HAP yet, but all looks good. Finally!

I've installed 17050R today and it has brought my HAP-S1 back to life. The Sony website updated to show it as available this morning, and when I plugged in my HAP it instantly found the update. So after the installation, which was routine, all my music files are still there, all the edits, album art, etc. seem to be there, and the HAP Music Transfer program on my PC is now showing all the available file extensions. So far so good. I haven't checked all the edits I did previously, and I haven't tried to transfer any music to the HAP yet, but all looks good. Finally!

That is great, thank you for sharing the good news, I will try mine later today..

From the Sony US support page:

UPDATE HAP-S1 HDD Audio Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 4/21/2016 Version 17050R File Size 1 Bytes Download File Description

IMPORTANT!! This update is available only by performing a Network Upgrade.

This firmware upgrade (version 17050R) provides the following improvements over version 16152R:

• Improves secure communication
  • Improves playback quality

IMPORTANT: If you use the HDD Audio Remote app on your smartphone or tablet, you must also update the app software. It's available from the Google Play™ online store for Android™ devices and from the iTunes® App Store for iOS devices.