IGNORED

Sony HAP S1 problem

jonesm

Small update. I received a phone call today from Sony Canada Legal Counsel. This is because the other 'support' numbers kept giving the Privacy hotline answering machine number last week - and I had left them a message asking for help. She was super - and voila - she had a phone number for me to call for Canada Pro Support, as well as a webpage with the needed forms for Canada Service if needed.

I phoned the number she provided, and indeed it is Canada Pro support. You have to leave a message though - and they say they will phone you back. Because of the time difference they cannot call me back today. I left a detailed message saying it is about the HAP-S1 - and when they call I will see what they say about it - and the fact that I've already taken my device to a different authorized repair centre and not to Sony directly....

Turns out that Pro support says the HAP is not a Pro device. Effectively meaning there is no telephone support for this device in Canada. Ouch...

However I got a little information that sounds promising. A Sony Pro support tech of more than 20 years is now working In Vancouver - at the same shop I took my device to. They said to talk to him with any questions. So I phoned him and I explained that there are a group of us all having this same issue since the last firmware update. He said he will be diagnosing the HAP-S1 I left there and communicating with Sony Labs with what he finds - and will have more information after he's looked at it. I just need to wait now for a call from him.

These guys just fixed an issue with my HAP Z1ES. It was still under warranty, but they were very fast:

Jim Fitzgerald

General Manager

Consumer Electronics

United Radio, Inc.

(315) 446-8700

(800) 634-8606

Sony HAP Z1ES, Portal Panache Integrated, Penaudio Rebel2+Chara, Grado HF-1, Nottingham Horizon TT, Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD

These guys just fixed an issue with my HAP Z1ES. It was still under warranty, but they were very fast:

Jim Fitzgerald

General Manager

Consumer Electronics

United Radio, Inc.

(315) 446-8700

(800) 634-8606

When I spoke to USA Support - the fellow mentioned United Radio. He said if I was in the USA he'd have me fixed up right away by sending the device to them. Glad to hear they worked out well for you!

BTW - For those in Canada - There are only 2 places it seems that Sony recommends sending their devices for repair:

Western Canada - Fusion Cine in Vancouver BC

Eastern Canada - MTC : Manufacturing and Technology Centre in Whitby ON[h=3][/h]

Well, you can add another unit to the crash list. Same symptoms as you guys. I was Googling the issue and came across this thread. Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming soon because I don't need/want an expensive year old paperweight!

Sorry to hear that. From what I can tell - I am the only person right now who has their HAP in for repair for this issue - I think I'm the only person still in warranty. Keep an eye out here - as soon as I get any information from Sony I'll be posting it here...

In warranty or out of warranty should not make any difference when it is not the users fault. I have come to realize that Sony is not the company it once was. In all of there products quality and reliability is taking a hit. And customer service is not as good either. I'm also out of warranty, and I really don't feel like a valued customer after paying $1000 plus for a unit that craps out from an update. Then support for the unit wants us to pay for it.

I had enjoyed my Hap-s1 for months with no problems, then that last update came. After it updated it shut down and restarted itself. Everything was fine for about 2 hours then crashed locked up. I powered down, restarted and now can't copy or play any music. I restored it over 5 times no luck. I called a service center said it was the hard drive. So i replaced the hard drive and .... No luck!

I did manage to power up and navigate the menu without a hard drive in the unit and plugg up one via USB to see if it would play external. Nope, nada this made me know for sure it was the firmware. The firmware flashes the chipset i think and that is the operating system for the unit. I hope they release a new update with the service firmware ending in 57 to fix the issues. One thing to note is my unit is running off wifi, next update i will use ethernet to make sure i get a clean update.

I'm going to wait it out for a while but if no resolution comes about i will just sell all my sony equipment and choose another brand.

In warranty or out of warranty should not make any difference when it is not the users fault.

Absolutely. The issue I think though - at least right now is that this is happening to mostly people who are out of warranty - so no one wants to risk sending it in in case they get charged for it. I agree with you though - it has to be the firmware. Glad you tried the other drive, external drive and no drive to figure that out for sure.

So - with people not sending theirs in for repair - Sony isn't seeing this problem. You have to figure the HAP-S1 is a niche product and so they probably don't sell too many - so - even a small bunch of people all taking theirs in for repair would be very noticeable.

The comment earlier about the newer firmware version was interesting - more information on that would be great.

BTW - My HAP was strictly Ethernet. So even that did not help wit the firmware reliability.

Hi folks, first time poster and new member. Actually, it's my seeing this thread that compelled me to relay my experiences with the haps1. I've had my unit since mid December. 35 days after purchase the unit froze in the stand-by position. The place I purchased it from was good enough to take the unit and deal directly with Sony. I live in Canada as well, and I understand that the unit was shipped to the Whitby shop referenced earlier. Judging from the repair summary, it looks like it was a faulty motherboard here. I have had the unit back for two days, and it seems to be working ok, although a bit laggy when using the jog wheel. Luckily, the hdd wasn't erased and I don't have to re-transfer all my files. I'm concerned that any firmware updates will now lock the machine. Can I defeat any automatic firmware updates? As it is, I was happy with the original version that came with the machine. Fantastic sound quality btw, I have it hooked up to a NAD integrated and Energy RC line of speakers. Wonderful detail, tight bass and lots of air around instruments...more so than a previous mid-end CD player as the input. I'll be watching this thread closely!

Can I defeat any automatic firmware updates?

Hey! thanks for the info. Yes - in the system settings you can turn off the auto update feature. I forget exactly how it's worded but it is obvious when you see it. The motherboard sounds about right - in the sense that the firmware seems to be frying something on there that renders the machines useless.

This is really getting ridiculous! I have been trying to actually talk to someone at Sony that can really help me and not give me the run around since TUESDAY about this problem. I was supposed to receive a call in 24-48 hours from customer relations, apparently they called when I wasn't home. I tried to get a number where I could call them back but no one would give it to me, instead said I have to email them (which I just did). How hard is it to just route a call where it needs to go?

I have not checked the thread for a while but it seems like the number of frustrated HAPS1 owners keeps on growing. My unit is still sitting here unused (an 800 UKP paperweight) in the hope that a firmware update will appear and I can try that as a possible fix. I am worried to read that a repair for someone on this thread meant a motherboard replacement as this makes me doubt that new firmware will resolve things for me. My HAPS1 is out of warranty so a motherboard fix is probably not an economic repair. The firmware version that I think has triggered the unit failure is the V16152R version released late November - a '57' version would be great to get hold of! I'll be sure to keep checking the thread more regularly now and await some good news......

Mike

How hard is it to just route a call where it needs to go?

Answer: Very hard -- http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/sony-hap-s1-problem-26957/#post509279

What country are you in? If you're in there US I', sure I have the number for you to call. Will be answered - can give description of problem - they will give you an Event ID and 'supposedly' make arrangements for it to go into repair. I say supposedly since I am in Canada - when we got to that part he said he couldn't help me since he is only US support.

I am in the UK and I was given an address by Sony Support to send the unit to for a repair cost estimate. I am reluctant to risk a big bill and also there is a post earlier in this thread that suggests Sony Europe class the HAPS1 as an 'IWX' product - in warranty exchange only - because it is uneconomic to repair. I need to see if a firmware update arrives and fixes things before I go down the sending the unit to Sony route.

FINALLY got some help! I posted about the issue on the Sony Customer Relations forum, linked to this website and (though it still took several days because of the whole "we called but you weren't there" nonsense) I finally have been approved to send my unit in for warranty repair. To all of those who are having issues but are out of warranty KEEP BUGGING SONY!! Bug them until they have no choice but to repair something we had no hand in breaking!

FINALLY got some help! I posted about the issue on the Sony Customer Relations forum, linked to this website and (though it still took several days because of the whole "we called but you weren't there" nonsense) I finally have been approved to send my unit in for warranty repair. To all of those who are having issues but are out of warranty KEEP BUGGING SONY!! Bug them until they have no choice but to repair something we had no hand in breaking!

Just read your post ver there. Nice going.

Let us know what happens.

Wow, after reading this whole thread I feel really lucky. I have the same exact issues with my HAP-S1 that I bought last december. I'm in Canada and from what I read it seemed really difficult to even speak to someone from Sony who can help. I just called the Sony Canada french tech support. I spoke to one gentleman and after 2 minutes it was done. I'll send the unit to MTC in Whitby Ontario to have it repaired. So guys in Canada if you can speak french, try the french support !!

For Canada :1-877-899-7669

So guys in Canada if you can speak french, try the french support !!

For Canada :1-877-899-7669

Very smart idea - that way they would not have transferred all my calls to India.... I didn't even think of that... Good luck - please post back here with any details about your repair. Mine is also in for repair, but on the West Coast right now...

Very smart idea - that way they would not have transferred all my calls to India.... I didn't even think of that... Good luck - please post back here with any details about your repair. Mine is also in for repair, but on the West Coast right now...

Thanks.

Funny thing is that Sony Canada french technical support is located in Toronto but the english technical support is in India !?!?!?

Did you ever get a solution to your unit repair?

Mine's been in for repair for 3 weeks. I contact them every Friday for an update. Mine is at the stage where the problem has been verified by the repair shop (2 weeks ago) - and they are waiting for Sony to tell them what to do.