IGNORED

The $3K all in exercize.

plissken

Thanks for asking! :)

Probably, well sorted active speakers which would use up most of the budget, with a simple, low cost source device - I haven't checked the offerings anywhere near well enough to make a recommendation, and new ones keep popping up; the latest may in fact be the best ...

Ones with a solidly made cabinet, which would be easy to make more rigid by adding mass to stabilise their positioning in the room - quite often, smaller is better here.

Can't go by brand, the model would have to be heard in the flesh to decide - one of the worst I heard was from Dynaudio; which also provided the big speakers in the best rig I've heard at an audio show ... I would check a lot of subjective impressions expressed around the place, as a starting point.

What sounds like music? When it has the ability to fool you; there are no, or almost no giveaways as to what the source of the sound is, real or fake - no matter whether you listen intently, or merely have it running as background filler, it sends all the right messages to your brain ... this means that any recording delivers the satisfaction that experiencing a live event provides.

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

the only real issue with great sound for $3,000 is in getting the very low bass

And my thoughts always are, what is this obsession with the very low bass, of most in this game? It has nothing to do with improving the intensity, impact of the music, and improves not one iota the sense of the bass line in the music - I have yet to come across a rig with mega subwoofers, etc, that doesn't sound somewhat absurd - a slightly more refined version of the boomy nonsense that passes for cinema sound stuff ... nothing to do with realistic, everything to do with a funfair ride - each to their own, :).

30 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

@Hugo9000  I hear you.  Buying gear becomes an obsession for some.  The very existence of extremely expensive gear makes some feel their gear is inadequate.  A DAC chip which costs a couple of bucks can't possibly be as good as a far more expensive custom FPGA and a resistor array.  So it goes.

Virtually all kinds of electronics have become so inexpensive over the years but Audiophiles persist with old technologies.  They old ones are not bad technologies, but they are expensive.   New technologies like Class D amps are excellent and offer amazing bang for the buck.

Anyone who wants to can buy whatever they can somehow swing.  It's not my money they are spending.  However, some of them could use a lesson in manners and don't need to be so closed minded.

Yes, extremely cheap, value for money parts can do an excellent job. But where the 'magic' happens is being just as careful and thorough with the design and implementation of the whole, as would/should be used for the fancy stuff. Manufacturers see the equation as being, cheap parts means cheap design, implementation - and therefore the end box is not so hot, after all.

9 hours ago, Blake said:

What surprises me is how easily some in the hobby write off low bass.  If you really are interested in hi-fidelity sound, you should not be neglecting content in any frequency.

What you are describing is boomy home theatre sound, and it seems you you are claiming the addition of subwoofers always has a negative impact on sound quality.  I completely disagree if that is your position.  

It is possible to properly integrate subwoofers into any system and when they are properly integrated, subwoofers very much add to the "realism" of the musical experience.  See Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" series for additional info.

It's neglected in my case because it's such a tiny, tiny part of what conveys the impact of the sound experience. Very low frequency rumblings are part of the acoustics of the building at times, may be a special effect in modern pop - but are almost zero in terms of the content of a musical score of normal music. I lost interest in recordings which have a stream train coming through my lounge room decades ago - and any recording which has some bass walloping for the same reason, I don't tune in to.

I took particular interest in noting that the owner of another audio forum who has spent large sums of money, and insisted on using high quality subwoofers for years, has finally evolved his rig to a high level of performance - but wasn't 100% happy. People suggested, and he did it - switched off his subwoofers: the light dawned, and they've been put out to pasture.

The "realism" is because they add a sense of grunt to the sound, when the latter is a bit lacking - it's somewhat of a band-aid to make up for less than competent SQ. Technically, the full range should be there, but you get 99.999% of the music without it in place.

Last audio show one setup, intelligently done, used low end Magnepans - this was capable of very good sound, but suffered as all capable rigs do - it ruthlessly exposed problems in the playback electronics; the wrong source device being used degraded the quality severely.

I shall take closer note of what is said here ... was at my stepson's yesterday, and he queried what a value for money setup that could do 5.1 would be. He has zero interest in doing things the way I do, it has to be plug'n'play - he was the source of my current NAD gear, biffed it because it was "unreliable" - off to the servicing agent constantly; not a problem for me, :). ... Which of course is always another factor in purchases ...

He reverted to a midfi LG 5.1, to do the job; but now wants to try doing proper sound again, and replace what the LG does, as well - to be able to play in both worlds. And asked my advice ...

Funny you say that, Elac was the one brand he mentioned when talking to me :)! Trouble is, the street dealer that did that brand has disappeared - well, who would have thought such would be happen, these days 9_9 - and so he can't audition, easily.