IGNORED

Anyone else having issues with Marantz NA8005 DSD streamer DAC?

Here are some comments from HI Fi Review's take on the NA8004 that would seem to at least indicate that it has issues:

"Surely there are competing network music player systems offering a much sleeker interface and smoother functioning.These operational difficulties vanish, naturally, when the asynchronous input signal that is USB can be used, letting the computer functioning it to take over management responsibilities and turning the NA8005. Also noticeable is the sound of the Marantz changes, the bass guitars in the Piazzola having the violins as well as a far more pleasing growl breeze and assault. Interesting...The record is produced using an excellent balance of little- the power of the group as well as gigabyte affair, and tracks like 'Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape' sing out having an attractive tonality to Nelson's guitar. The combination has superb clarity when played with this way - ie, through the USB connection - while to flowing changing back appeared robbing the sound of some presence to veil it somewhat and ambience.The NA8005 does not match up to the sonic power of its big brother, but the NA-11S1 is more than three times the cost of this new network player. But in case your goal would be to put it to use primarily as a wired DAC using a computer, but by means of the additional advantages of occasional use, it is well worth an audition - though more work must be performed on the Remote Program of Marantz to allow it to be really persuasive."

JC

I was considering one of these for my office system to allow me to interface with my Synology NAS.

For an office, in short, I'd study into their Melody Series Network Receivers :

[video=youtube;asGK-xok8is]

N.B. DSD is not featured for Melody Stream M-CR511, whereas DSD64 is PCM-optimised [in] Melody Media M-CR611 (MSRP $699) :

26.jpg

36.jpg

4.jpg

2_1.jpg

From latter 3/4 of UK listing' date=' [/font']Overview :

The M-CR611 not only looks superb, it’s also a superb performer, reproducing excellent CD-audio, FM, DAB/DAB+ and Network files. Designed with ease of use in mind, the Melody Media features a simple “one-push” Wi-Fi connect. New Bluetooth with NFC boasts connectivity options further and iDevices can be hooked up via a front facing USB port, with an extra rear port for convenience. And there are two digital inputs for connection to a TV.

The Melody Media now supports Spotify Connect, as well as a host of other digital media and streaming features. Alongside listening to millions of songs on the world’s most popular online music service, it allows playback of music libraries stored on a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or a computer, provides access to thousands of free internet radio stations, and even supports Apple AirPlay. Listeners can also take control via an Android and iOS compatible Marantz Hi-Fi Remote app.

An additional new feature is the speaker A / B configuration, allowing individual volume control for A and B, or master volume control for A and B. Use the Melody Media not just to flood one room with music, but two. This is real versatility in elegant housing. The M-CR611 also supports ALAC, as well as 192kHz / 24bit high-resolution WAV, FLAC, AIFF files, 2.8MHz DSD file and Gapless playback.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Greetings JC,

I did lookup that entire HiFi Review of NA8005 you quoted to read.

Briefly (because I've promised my girlfriend tonight), first of all, what is that site ? Secondly, tomorrow, I'll reflect on some of what that anonymous reviewer wrote.

Ultimately, Marantz does indeed have a brand-sound (that's inherited from its tube-era founding by Saul) :

[video=youtube;h_-aShUYDEo]

Well, let us soon continue exploring whether this product is worth it ?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

I like using the NA8005 with USB with Roon driving playback. That app just works, sound is great. The flexibility of an affordable ($700 street) USB DSD DAC *and* DLNA streamer is almost unbeatable for that price. Seems that to get anything better you have to spend 2-5x as much.

Despite its obvious software flaws, I really like mine.

-mike

I like using the NA8005 with USB with Roon driving playback. That app just works, sound is great. The flexibility of an affordable ($700 street) USB DSD DAC *and* DLNA streamer is almost unbeatable for that price. Seems that to get anything better you have to spend 2-5x as much.

Despite its obvious software flaws, I really like mine.

-mike

Mike, all I am looking to do with the NA8005, if I purchase it, is to access files from my NAS and route them to my preamp. Can it accomplish that?

JC

Mike, all I am looking to do with the NA8005, if I purchase it, is to access files from my NAS and route them to my preamp. Can it accomplish that?

JC

Yes, it can. The iOS app is poorly written, and I've had issues with it not being able to play some files that other players can play fine, but for the most part it does the core job of sending files from my NAS to my pre-pro.

-mike