IGNORED

Dirac Live on a Mac - DAP doesn't save preferred output - any workarounds?

I'm new to Dirac Live, and am really impressed with the results, even from the first default filter.

I know the software can do what I need it to - at least for now - and so was about to buy it.

But then I noticed what i consider a fatal flaw in my setup - whenever my DAC (Devialet 200) turns off, or it's input is changed, the DiracAP loses the output (Devialet USB 2.0), and doesn't reconnect when the Devialet's available. This makes it a real pain to use in general, but since I use a headless server, would mean VNC every time - not something I'm prepared to do myself let alone inflict on my family members who may want to listen at any time.

I had just assumed it would save a 'preferred output' or something, but I'm told this isn't the case.

I'm using OSX, with Roon as my main playback at the moment, so I can't even try to do it via VST/AU plugins (I hear there's a beta), as Roon doesn't have this ability.

So - putting all other Dirac related questions on hold incase this has stopped me in my tracks - has anyone got a workaround?

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

I Agree...I have exactly the same issue. I would love to know if there is. Workaround?

I had this same problem with my MacMini and Dirac under OSX and solved it (and other issues) by installing BootCamp and Win7. Not the solution most are looking for but works well for me.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I had this same problem with my MacMini and Dirac under OSX and solved it (and other issues) by installing BootCamp and Win7. Not the solution most are looking for but works well for me.

Thanks for that, that's a good suggestion - sadly for me a bit too extreme though as I need the Mac available for various reasons….

Out of interest, what is it about the Windows implementation that means the output doesn't get disconnected?

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Is this Devialet-specific, or USB-specific? I use Dirac with a Halide Bridge, which is powered via USB bus, and have never had this problem, even though I always turn off my DAC. I wonder if using a powered USB hub would solve the problem. You could try one just as an experiment, and if it does solve the problem, then at least you know you could do it that way, or leave the DAC on standby power or something...

Thanks for that, that's a good suggestion - sadly for me a bit too extreme though as I need the Mac available for various reasons….

Out of interest, what is it about the Windows implementation that means the output doesn't get disconnected?

I do not think it is about Dirac's MAc vs. Win implementations. I had other issues with JRiver on the Mac, with or without Dirac. Happier now.

Kal Rubinson

Kal, am I correct in thinking that the Dirac software licence is OS specific?

In which case, would the solution you suggest of running Windows on a MAC also require the purchase of an additional Windows Dirac licence?

I do not know. However, you should ask Flavio or contact Dirac for that info. Mebbe they can make an accommodation.

Kal Rubinson

I use RoonServer on OSX in exactly the same setup.

When my Devialet is in standby, or on another input, or fully off, Roon can't see it as an output. As soon as the Devialet is back on, it immediately becomes available again in Roon and play is possible.

I seem to remember Audirvana behaving the same way.

Hopefully Dirac can address this in a future update, as its not very practical (or sensible) as its implemented now IMO.

This is a huge shame as I love what it does to my system and would have bought it even before the end of the trial if this wasn't the case. In fact, I'll go out of my way (as this is a tread focussing only on a small negative aspect) to say that I think its fantastic from what I've seen of it so far. Any of my audiophile (if I am one for liking a decent hifi) neurosis about 'not tampering' with the signal and keeping it 'pure' has completely gone out of the window.

Still, I now have much better insight into what my room does, and how its affects can be minimised. I know I'm heading in a direction that can deal with my issues after a couple of years of frustration and a lot of (probably unnecessary) kit swapping, so that alone is a revelation.

In the meantime, I need another solution, but all other options appear to either require additional hardware, or sadly run only on Windows…..

I am a PC guy, not a Mac guy, using JRiver-Dirac-Exasound e28. So, I do not know if this will help. But, occasionally, Dirac becomes "disconnected" from the Exasound Asio driver, even though DAP shows it as the connected device in the bottom window in the DAP. But, there is no sound. I have had success just having the DAP do a new search for available devices, then reselecting the Exasound driver.

I am a PC guy, not a Mac guy, using JRiver-Dirac-Exasound e28. So, I do not know if this will help. But, occasionally, Dirac becomes "disconnected" from the Exasound Asio driver, even though DAP shows it as the connected device in the bottom window in the DAP. But, there is no sound. I have had success just having the DAP do a new search for available devices, then reselecting the Exasound driver.

It sounds like that approach still needs manual intervention each time?

On OSX the DAP output resets itself to a 'blank' to show no input, and so it has to be re-selected each time.

Thanks wgscott. I did take a look at that, but it seems like a bit too much of a hack for me - I don't really like relying on such things in my audio path.

To my mind Dirac should address the issue with their DAP application on OSX. There's no point having a virtual sound card that can automatically start on boot up/login, but then doesn't store the default output device (and default filter). A big oversight in my opinion, and a real shame as I like everything else about it, but as implemented its unusable beyond testing.

A big oversight in my opinion, and a real shame as I like everything else about it, but as implemented its unusable beyond testing.

We agree, especially with the part in bold :)

jokes aside a new build is expected soon that addresses reconnecting automatically when a USB device is attached as well as handling sleep/hibernate properly... needless to say it also takes care of issues with El Capitan

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

We agree, especially with the part in bold :)

jokes aside a new build is expected soon that addresses reconnecting automatically when a USB device is attached as well as handling sleep/hibernate properly... needless to say it also takes care of issues with El Capitan

Flavio

That's fantastic news Flavio!

As soon as its available you'll have another sale and another happy customer :) :)

(Will it also remember the last filter used, or a 'preferred filter' - i.e. you won't need to interact with it at all after a reboot or losing connection?)

Now I'm getting a lot more excited about measuring my preferred set of speakers, and trying Dirac with them, and if it tames the brightness there I'll be ecstatic! After the success of my initial trial I'll be very surprised if it can't….

And this time I'll use the correct (90 degree) calibration file, not put myself in the way of the measurements, have a USB cable that reaches where I need, and hopefully be blessed with a less stormy day ;)

Flavio that is indeed good news...thanks for the response.

Can you give us an ETA own the new build?

Before end of year?

First quarter 2016??

Sometime after that???

Thanks

Both DLCT and the DAP will be updated so before XMAS is the best case scenario but I would guess first quarter 2016.

Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Both DLCT and the DAP will be updated so before XMAS is the best case scenario but I would guess first quarter 2016.

Flavio

Crossing my fingers for the earlier one, but happy that its coming none the less….

Happy to Beta Test!!! ;)

I am a happy user of Dirac since about 2 weeks. I have just installed the beta plugins to use it as AU plugin into Audirvana. I can just tell it is an other very good improvement of SQ.

Dirac alone has corrected some room issues, most in the time domain, but in the same time I lost something (maybe less clarity) compared to Audirvana alone.

With the beta plugin, the good SQ of Audirvana is back and in the same time, I keep the excellent work of Dirac which give more focus in the sound, like if I had put "glasses to my hears" :-)

I really hope this beta will become official soon.

Kal, am I correct in thinking that the Dirac software licence is OS specific?

Hi Peter,

yes, it was OS specific but we changed that... i.e. you can now uninstall from a PC and install (the appropriate download of course) in a Mac or vice versa

Flavio

I am a happy user of Dirac since about 2 weeks. I have just installed the beta plugins to use it as AU plugin into Audirvana. I can just tell it is an other very good improvement of SQ.

Dirac alone has corrected some room issues, most in the time domain, but in the same time I lost something (maybe less clarity) compared to Audirvana alone.

With the beta plugin, the good SQ of Audirvana is back and in the same time, I keep the excellent work of Dirac which give more focus in the sound, like if I had put "glasses to my hears" :-)

I really hope this beta will become official soon.

Where did you get the plugin from?

Thanks Flávio, I didn't know you had changed the OS specific licensing protocol. The fact that I had already bought and paid for a Mac OS licence is the single biggest reason I have not moved to a windoze platform!

Can I now use my existing licence number to activate a newly downloaded Windows version of Dirac?