IGNORED

Dirac Live on a Mac - DAP doesn't save preferred output - any workarounds?

Hey Flavio

i have registered to be a beta tester at the link you gave us...but heard nothing!

How do we get access to the beta software?

Thanks

Hi Peter,

if you send me a PM with the ticket number that you received from helpdesk it will receive immediate attention.

Thanks, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

• 1 month later...
We agree, especially with the part in bold :)

jokes aside a new build is expected soon that addresses reconnecting automatically when a USB device is attached as well as handling sleep/hibernate properly... needless to say it also takes care of issues with El Capitan

Flavio

Hi Flavio

Just wondered if you guys have an updated ETA as quite some time has passed, and it looks like the Q1 estimate is now going to be at least Q2....

I'm assuming there's quite a lot of new code/features in version 1.2 on top of this little fix, anything you can share while we wait?

Thanks.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

• 2 weeks later...
18 months, perhaps...

Mmmmm, I kind of got that impression based on the delays with this release and some previous comments. It's a real shame - great product, but I'm not sure I'd want to wait so long for fixes/updates. Perhaps it's a really small team or there are lots of other projects outside of the computer based DRC…. If I'm honest, either way I'm a bit more inclined to experiment with other solutions...

By the way, with DAP 1.2.0 I don't lose the last used output.

What OS are you using Danold? A few of us using OSX experienced the issue,where the output resets itself to <none> after a DAC disconnect, which then requires manual intervention to re-select. Not really useable on a headless audio server used on the main hifi, and by multiple people.

It seems like each time I find something in the Computer Audio chain that makes the system almost perfect, something else crops up to send me back a few steps! I'll get there in the end I'm sure.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

You do realize that the same thing happens with powered USB DACs on OS X even without Dirac, right? This isn't a Dirac-specific issue, and it is unclear if they can fix it ever, let alone in the next release. Audirvana works around it (for example) by remembering the preferred output device, and reverts to it when you turn the DAC back on. Dirac's DAP is designed for a single output, so that would make an Audirvana-like approach difficult to implement.

Other workarounds:

1. Use Dirac as an AU-plugin, where it will be agnostic with respect to output.

2. Leave the DAC powered on, or use a USB-powered bridge.

3. Start Dirac up after you turn on the DAC.

You do realize that the same thing happens with powered USB DACs on OS X even without Dirac, right?

It doesn't happen with Roon or Audirvana+, or the Devialet virtual Soundcard, or in fact, anything else I've ever tried.

This isn't a Dirac-specific issue, and it is unclear if they can fix it ever, let alone in the next release.

Well, as far as I'm concerned it is, as it only happens with Dirac in my setup. Also, Flavio acknowledged it as such and has said they already have a fix ready which will be coming in 1.3. In fact, he said that aspect was done a couple of months ago or more, but was awaiting beta testing of the other changes.

Audirvana works around it (for example) by remembering the preferred output device, and reverts to it when you turn the DAC back on. Dirac's DAP is designed for a single output, so that would make an Audirvana-like approach difficult to implement.

I don't see why it would be difficult at all, or understand the comment really. Dirac may be designed for a single output, but that output may not be powered on 24/7. If it can't deal with that scenario properly, it doesn't function correctly. IMO.

Other workarounds:

1. Use Dirac as an AU-plugin, where it will be agnostic with respect to output.

2. Leave the DAC powered on, or use a USB-powered bridge.

3. Start Dirac up after you turn on the DAC.

1. Not possible with Roon, and I don't like hacked solutions/workarounds on my main hifi setup either.

2. It's a DAC/amp and that would mean I could never change input on the device.

3. See above. That would also require VNC to my server every time the DAC was disconnected, which would be as annoying or more than the current issue.

But beyond any of this - since its already been acknowledged as an issue, and allegedly been fixed - I was really just wondering what Dirac's update timescales were historically, so I had an idea whether to wait or not.

Hello hifi_swlon,

the latest beta Dirac Live 1.2 build 8256 is reported to work very well with Audirvana (including Direct mode) without plugins and to save the preferred output device... I'd like to send it to you but I don't know how to track your ticket at helpdesk.dirac.se.

Would you please send me an MP with its number or eventually open a new one?

Thanks, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Hello hifi_swlon,

the latest beta Dirac Live 1.2 build 8256 is reported to work very well with Audirvana (including Direct mode) without plugins and to save the preferred output device... I'd like to send it to you but I don't know how to track your ticket at helpdesk.dirac.se.

Would you please send me an MP with its number or eventually open a new one?

Thanks, Flavio

Thanks Flavio. For some reason didn't see this. I also see you've posted about 1.2 release so will give that a go. Both you and Roon on v1.2 - it's a sign ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So, just to follow up since I started this topic, the issue seems to be resolved as of Dirac 1.2. No issues with this aspect so far after a week of testing. :)

• 4 weeks later...

With me it does not work yet :(

What osx system you use?

Have latest A + 2.5.2 and Dirac Live 1.2 / 8265

tested with 1 mac mini with yosemite and 1 mac air with el capitan without any of dei works. Also tested with 2 Dac without anyone working properly.

probleme is when I turn off and and DAC so will not Dirac comes up again in Audio System.